How do you get rid of flyaway hair?
Flyaway hair or frizzy hair is a common hair problem. Frizzy hair is annoying, especially when you have an event to attend and you’ve spent hours creating a perfect hairdo. Frizzy hair is shorter, thinner and hard to control and style. Some of the main reasons for frizzy hair include
- Hair breakage
- Hair damaged from too much heat styling
- A rough hair shaft
- Static or arid weather
If frizzy hair bothers you, here are some quick fixes to get rid of it
- Lip balm: Take a bit of non-waxy balm such as petroleum jelly on your fingertips and apply it to the flyway hair to smooth it down.
- Hand lotion: Like lip balm, you can also apply a bit of hand lotion to tame kinky hair.
- Toothbrush: Spray a toothbrush lightly with hair spray and use it to smooth down frizzy hair.
- Olive oil: Place two to three drops of olive oil into the palm of your hand. Rub your hands together and then use them to smooth down unmanageable strands. This will also make your hair shiny.
- Static guard spray: This product can stop static cling.
Some of the preventive measures to reduce frizzy hair include
- Remove tangles gently before going to bed.
- Avoid daily shampooing because it strips moisture from your hair.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Comb your hair gently to prevent unnecessary breakage. Detangle your hair gently from the ends up using a wide-toothed comb.
- Towel dry your hair gently to prevent breakage.
- Heat style your hair no more than once a week to avoid damaging your hair.
Some of the ingredients or recipes that would help to reduce frizz include
- Moisturizing hair with oils: For super frizzy hair, jojoba or coconut oil would be the ideal option. Apply a few drops of oil onto damp hair and leave it on for a few minutes. Wash the oil off with shampoo and use conditioner after. Avoid blow drying to prevent flyaway hair.
- Applying a honey and olive oil hair mask: Prepare a hair mask by mixing equal parts of honey and olive oil. Apply this mask evenly throughout your hair and wrap it in plastic wrap for 30 minutes. Wash it off with shampoo and use conditioner after. Use this mask at least once a month or every week, if possible.
- Using a tea rinse: Tea acts as a hair color enhancer and adds luster to the hair. Use unsweetened black tea as a hair rinse after regular shampooing. Brunettes should use black tea, whereas blondes should use chamomile tea.
- Using an avocado mask: Avocados are rich in minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids. Mix a ripe mashed avocado with an egg to make a smooth paste. Apply this mask onto wet hair and leave it on for 20 minutes before washing it off with cold water. For extremely frizzy or brittle hair, use this mask weekly. For normal hair, use this mixture once a month to enhance or maintain the luster and strength of hair.
- Applying an egg white and apple cider vinegar (ACV) mask: Mix three egg whites, two tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of ACV to make a liquid mixture. Apply this mixture evenly throughout the hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. Wash it off with shampoo and use conditioner after. This mask brings life to damaged or unruly hair.
- Applying a yogurt and oil mask: Yogurt mixed with oil would be an ideal option for frizzy hair. Combine half a cup of yogurt with two tablespoons of olive oil and six drops of essential oil and mix it thoroughly. Apply this mask onto shampooed hair and leave it on for 20 minutes. Rinse your hair after with warm water.
- Using a banana mask: Bananas have a high moisture content and are rich in potassium. The potassium content makes them optimal for frizzy hair treatment. Mash one banana and apply it evenly throughout the hair from roots to ends. Leave it on for an hour and rinse it off with lukewarm water. A banana mask is ideal to prevent split ends, soften the hair and improve its elasticity.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors