Overnight acne treatment
Pimples or acne vulgaris is a common skin condition affecting teens and even some adults. The cause of acne is mainly hormonal. In the case of acne, prevention is the best cure. Hence, maintaining good skin health, avoiding cosmetics, washing face before going to sleep, and checking for hormonal issues are paramount.
Try out one of the following methods to get rid of a pimple overnight:
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Simply break off an aloe vera leaf from the plant and dab it onto acne spots throughout the day. Apply it at night before going to sleep as well.
- Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil is a well-known treatment for pimples. To use, you need to dilute the tea tree oil first with other carrier oil. Use a cotton ball to soak up the formula and dab the liquid onto the problem areas.
- Benzoyl peroxide face wash or gel: These are available over the counter and provide good results in reducing acne. Spot application over acne is advised at night.
- Green tea: To make the green tea solution, bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil. Remove from heat and add a green tea teabag. Let the leaves steep for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the teabag, squeeze, and recycle. Allow the concentrated tea to cool and it may be stored up to 3 days, covered and in the refrigerator. To use, wet a cotton ball with the tea and dab it on your face. It will reduce inflammation and is antibacterial.
- Fresh basil leaf: Pick a fresh basil leaf and crush it with the fingers. Spread the crushed leaf on the pimple so that its juice coats your zit. Do this throughout the day and at night before going to bed. Basil is anti-inflammatory and has antibacterial properties.
- Salicylic acid gel: The over the counter salicylic acid gel may help in spot reduction of a stray pimple if applied overnight. It is not advised for extensive application over the face.
- Fresh lemon juice: The Vitamin C in lemon juice helps dry up pimples. Dab the fresh lemon juice onto the pimple or pimples throughout the day and before going to bed at night.
- Ice dabbing: Dabbing ice onto the pimple can help reduce swelling and redness. Wet a washcloth with cold water and wrap an ice cube in it. Use this to dab the ice cube onto the pimple. Hold the wrapped ice on the spot for a few seconds, remove for a few seconds, and again reapply the wrapped ice. Doing this repeatedly will tighten the pores and increase blood circulation to the area.
- Neem oil: It has antibacterial properties and can benefit the skin in several ways. Rinse the face with warm water; apply neem oil directly over pimples with cotton buds. Leave it for the night so that it can penetrate the skin to destroy all bacteria.
- Honey and cinnamon: They both have antimicrobial properties. Take one teaspoon of cinnamon and two tablespoons of natural honey. Mix them together and
- Tomatoes: Tomato juice not only provides relief from pimples but also lightens skin and evens out the patchy skin.
- Drink hot water with lemon in the morning
- Add more turmeric and iron into your diet
- Get plenty of sleep
- Practice yoga or moderate exercise to keep the body fit, allowing overall blood circulation
- Practice healthy diet
A dermatologist will offer you more effective options to clear acne and avoid frequent flares.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Cleveland Clinic. A Dermatologist’s Advice on How to Get Rid of a Pimple — Stat! October 14, 2019. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/a-dermatologists-advice-on-how-to-get-rid-of-a-pimple/
Papanikolas S. 5 ways to reduce a pimple overnight. Medium. October 28, 2019. https://blog.curology.com/5-ways-to-reduce-a-pimple-overnight-99585f9f7506
Derma Essentia. How to Remove Pimples to Get Clear Skin? December 13, 2019. https://www.dermaessentia.com/blogs/skin-care/how-to-remove-pimples