Dry and frizzy hair is the most common problem faced by women across the world. Harsh winters and chemical products for hair and heat styling can be the culprits in damaging the hair. To check for the moisture content of the hair, take a dry strand of hair and gently pull both ends to stretch it. If it breaks easily, there's a lack of moisture in the hair. With proper hair care and nutrition, you can treat dry and damaged hair at home. Here are a few home remedies to treat dry damaged hair:
- Moisturizing hair with oils: For extremely dry hair, jojoba or coconut oil would be an ideal option. Apply a few drops of oil onto damp hair and leave it on for a few minutes. Wash out the oil with a shampoo and conditioner. Avoid blow-drying to dry out the hair.
- Honey and olive oil hair mask: Prepare a hair mask by mixing equal parts of honey and olive oil. Apply this mask evenly through the hair and wrap it in a plastic wrap for 30 minutes. Wash it out with a shampoo and conditioner. Try this mask at least once a month or every week if possible.
- Tea rinse: Tea acts as a hair color enhancer and adds luster to the hair. Use unsweetened black tea as a hair rinse after regular shampooing of the hair. Brunettes should use black tea, whereas blondes are recommended to use chamomile tea.
- Use an avocado mask: Avocadoes are rich in minerals, vitamins, and essential fatty acids. Mix a ripe mashed avocado with egg to make a smooth paste. Apply this mask on wet hair and leave for 20 minutes. For extremely dry or brittle hair, use this mask every week, whereas for normal hair, use this pack once a month to enhance or maintain the luster and strength of the hair.
- Egg white and apple cider vinegar (ACV) mask: Mix three egg whites, two tablespoons of olive oil, and one tablespoon of ACV to make a liquid mixture. Apply this mixture evenly through the hair and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash it out with a shampoo and conditioner. This mask brings life to damaged or limp hair.
- Yogurt and oil mask: Yogurt mixed with oil would be an ideal option for dry hair. Combine half-a-cup of yogurt with two tablespoons of olive oil and six drops of essential oil and mix it thoroughly. Apply this mask on shampooed hair and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse the hair with warm water.
- Banana mask: Bananas have high moisture content and are rich in potassium, which makes them optimal for dry hair treatment. Mash one banana and apply them evenly through the hair from roots to ends. Leave it for an hour and rinse with lukewarm water. Banana mask is ideal to prevent split-ends, soften the hair, and improve its elasticity.
- Diet rich in healthy fats, proteins, and calcium: Staying hydrated and consuming the following foods will aid flawless hair:
- Olive oil
- Canola oil
- Nuts such as almonds
- Lean red meat
- Cottage cheese
What are the preventive measures to protect hair from damage?
Some of the preventive measures to protect against hair damage include:
- Choose shampoos that have natural oils such as olive or argan oil, or glycerin, sorbitol, or shea butter rather than shampoos with mineral oil or petrolatum.
- Protect your hair with a hat or scarf when you step out into extreme weather.
- Trim dead ends of the hair every six to eight weeks from a stylist.
- Remove tangles before hitting the bed.
- Avoid daily shampooing of hair because it may rip off the moisture content of hair.
- Have a balanced diet.
- Comb your hair gently.
- Go easy on the towel to prevent hair breaking.
- Limit heat styling to once a week.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
WebMD. Slideshow: Natural Help for Dry or Damaged Hair. https://www.webmd.com/beauty/ss/slideshow-dry-hair
Mobin A. 8 Effective Home Remedies For Dry And Damaged Hair. https://www.lifehack.org/504815/8-effective-home-remedies-for-dry-and-damaged-hair