Causes of hair split ends
No product will cure the splits end completely. One cannot avoid split ends completely, but one may be able to limit how often they develop. Split ends are when the hair strand divides into two parts at the end. There can be many reasons for split ends, such as:
- Lack of moisture in hair and scalp
- Excessive exposure to the sun
- Using harsh shampoos and chemical products
- Thermal damages from hot curling rods or dryer
- Unbalanced diet and forcefully combing tangled hair
- Split ends can occur due to copper transport disorder like Menkes disease and occipital horn syndrome
11 Home Remedies to get rid of hair split ends
While treating our hair if the outer layer called the cuticle gets damaged then hair becomes dull and gets separated into two-three strands, and thus, forms split ends. This condition is scientifically called trichoptilosis. Due to split ends, hair growth is stopped.
- Hair Care products: Use hair products and conditioners appropriate to your hair color and type, as well as the climate. Always wear a hat when you are out in the sun. Use hair caps while swimming to avoid exposure to chlorine.
- Balanced diet: Consuming all the necessary micronutrients and macronutrients in a properly balanced diet will help your body system to function properly and produce healthy and strong hair. Intake of water will ensure the hydration of the body and promote healthy hair. This is the most effective and proven precaution for split ends. Diet rich in nuts, fruits, and eggs is essential for good hair health.
- Hydrating hair: By using a home hair mask with natural ingredients like egg yolk, ripe papaya, aloe vera, or banana, one can reduce the occurrence of split ends. These natural products are loaded with folic acid, vitamins, proteins, nutrients, and fiber, which can restore hair texture. Make a paste of separate products then apply to the hair, leave for 30 minutes, and then wash it off. This will moisturize and promote hair growth too.
- Oiling and washing: While shampooing your hair, hair absorbs water and swells up making hair dry and fragile, and thus, giving you split ends. Oil shields our hair and reduces damages. Vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids in oil also nourish and condition the hair, which restores the moisture in the hair. Jojoba oil, Moroccan oil, sesame oil, almond oil, etc. are best for pre-wash treatment.
- Leave-in conditioners can be used after the shower to keep the hair strand supple by locking in the moisture.
- The friction caused by rubbing a towel further irritates damaged and frizzy hair caused by split ends. Be gentle after shampooing by opting for a towel with woven fibers. Not only are they softer on your fragile, wet hair but they also cut drying time in half.
- A simple fix for split ends is to apply a small amount of the split end remedy serum on the damp hair. Let the smart polymers lock in shine and protect your hair from heat damage. However, these quick fixes damage the hair shaft in the long run.
- Be kind to your hair when brushing. Start at the ends and work your way up. Gently comb through tangles rather than roughly brushing your hair from the root to the end. Try using a paddle brush with flexible bristles nestled in a soft cushion base. Try a wide-tooth comb after applying a leave-in conditioner to work out any knots.
- Coconut oil is known widely for being beneficial for our skin, nail, and hair health. We can use coconut oil to induce hair growth, remove dandruff, and of course to eliminate those dry, split ends of your hair. However, coconut oil is extremely heavy, it would be wise to begin by applying a small portion. Remember to stay off from hair roots for this treatment to see the desired results. Wait for half an hour and wash your hair well with shampoo. To ensure your hair doesn’t have any excess oil, one can shampoo their hair twice. Try this remedy once every fortnight and see the difference. Hair will start growing longer and soon split ends would vanish.
- Avocado is a rich source of a range of essential nutrients. It contains Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, amino acids, potassium, magnesium, iron, and so on. All these nutrients together give avocado the power of restoring brittle, damaged hair. Other than the above nutrients, avocado also contains Vitamin H in large quantities. This vitamin helps in strengthening the hair roots. The avocado mask makes an amazing hair conditioner. It makes our hair smoother and kills dryness. Repeating this remedy once every week will help you get rid of split ends within a month. If your hair is too dry, add egg white with one tablespoon of olive oil and one tablespoon of coconut oil.
- To ensure that hair always remains soft and smooth, tie your hair well before going to bed. Avoid sun exposure to hair as much as possible.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Evergreen Beauty College. Fixing Split Ends Without Cutting Them. https://www.evergreenbeauty.edu/blog/fixing-split-ends-without-cutting-them/
Grant V. 5 Tricks To Put an End to Split Ends (Without Cutting Your Hair). Bell Media Lifestyle Specialty. https://www.theloop.ca/5-ways-to-put-an-end-to-split-ends-without-cutting-your-hair/