Cool sculpting or cryolipolysis is a nonsurgical or noninvasive method for body contouring. The procedure involves the use of cold temperature to kill fat cells present under the skin (subcutaneous fat). Since the fat cells are killed, the results are technically permanent. Regardless of where the stubborn fat was removed from, the fat cells are permanently destroyed after the cool sculpting treatment. Over the course of the next few months after the procedure, the destroyed fat cells are eliminated naturally by the body through the lymphatic system. The results may appear over the course of time. Some people will notice changes to their body shape or the treated area a few weeks after the treatment. However, the final results tend to appear 3 months after the procedure. It should be noted that an individual can still gain weight after the procedure depending on their diet and lifestyle. To maintain long-term results, the individual may need to adhere to a healthy diet and regular exercise. Benefits of cool sculpting procedure include:
What is a cool sculpting procedure?
Cool sculpting is an FDA-approved procedure that uses controlled cooling to destroy unwanted fat cells. The process involves a specialized applicator being applied to the skin of the treatment area before it transmits freezing cold temperatures into the subcutaneous fat. As fat cells are particularly vulnerable to cool temperatures, they naturally die off. This process is known as cryolipolysis. This innovative procedure uses advanced cooling technology to selectively reduce fat layers. Research has shown that subcutaneous fat cells are more vulnerable to cold than surrounding tissue, enabling the cool sculpting procedure to effectively reduce and destroy fat cells in a process involving gradual disintegration. Once the fat cells are destroyed, the body naturally clears and eliminates them. This process is called induced apoptosis and leaves adjacent tissue undamaged.
During the procedure:
- The patient may lie down or sit in a comfortable chair while an external applicator delivers carefully calibrated cooling to the treatment area, which is designed to target only fat cells.
- The extreme cold triggers a natural removal process that gradually eliminates unsightly areas of fat, smoothing bulges, and rolls.
- The patient may feel pressure and intense cold as a series of applicators of different sizes and shapes are used to carefully sculpt each area.
- Depending on the size and amount of areas to be treated, the procedure may last from 1-3 hours or more.
Most people have relatively little discomfort and many returns to work that day.
- After the procedure, the patient may have redness and tingling at the treatment sites.
- A few patients complained of some burning, itching, pain, cramping, or bloating.
Cool sculpting is not intended as a weight-loss method, meaning it is not a replacement for surgical methods of fat removal like liposuction or the methods of weight loss, such as proper diet and regular exercise. A good candidate for cool sculpting will have extra fat in certain areas, but otherwise should be at a fairly normal weight. A one on one consultation with a cosmetic physician is the best way to determine if this is the right treatment for fatty areas.