Aloe vera juice is rich in nutrients, and drinking it every day comes with several health benefits. It is, however, best to start with a small shot of juice and increase the frequency and amount of juice gradually.
The gel obtained from fresh aloe vera has many therapeutic effects and can be used for the following: skin treatment and burn, surgical wound healing, diabetes control, treat peptic ulcers, prevent cancer spread, ulcerative colitis, and alopecia, and skin moisturizer.
8 health benefits of drinking aloe vera juice
Here are 8 benefits of drinking aloe vera juice every day.
- Relieves heartburn: A recent study has shown that consuming aloe vera juice every day can significantly reduce heartburn symptoms without causing discomfort.
- Treats constipation: Several compounds present in aloe vera act as laxatives. People with constipation have shown considerable improvement in bowel movements with daily consumption of aloe vera juice.
- May improve IBS symptoms: IBS or irritable bowel syndrome refers to inflammation of the intestine, which can cause pain and discomfort. Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties that may alleviate this inflammation, and a study has reported drinking aloe vera juice daily may lead to a marked improvement in IBS symptoms. However, more evidence is required to prove the efficacy of aloe vera juice against IBS.
- Acts as an antioxidant: Aloe vera juice has antioxidant properties that help destroy free radicals, which are responsible for inducing oxidative stress in your body, leading to early aging and various chronic conditions. Hence, aloe vera juice may prevent the risk of chronic conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, or even cancer.
- Improves nerve and muscle function: Aloe vera is rich in magnesium, which is a vital nutrient for nerve and muscle function. Magnesium helps with more than 300 enzyme reactions and regulates heart rhythm and blood pressure.
- Promotes clear skin: Aloe vera reduces the severity and frequency of acne and improves certain skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
- Regulates blood sugar levels: Early research suggests that aloe vera juice may help lower blood sugar levels in people with type II diabetes. However, people with existing diabetes should consult their physician before taking aloe vera juice as a dietary supplement. Aloe vera juice may drastically lower blood sugar levels when taken with diabetes medications.
- Eye health: Beta-carotene present in aloe vera is an antioxidant that is beneficial for eye health, including the retina or cornea.
Are there side effects of drinking aloe vera juice every day?
Excessive consumption of aloe vera juice may cause some side effects including:
How much aloe vera juice should you drink daily?
Limiting aloe vera juice to 30 mL 3 times a day can provide health benefits and minimize the potential side effects.
You can drink aloe vera juice on an empty stomach or with meals. If you find it difficult to drink unsweetened aloe vera juice, you can mix it with fruit juice or dilute it with water.
Who shouldn’t drink aloe vera juice?
You should avoid aloe vera juice if you have the following:
- Allergy to aloe vera
- Heart diseases
- Acute hepatitis (liver swelling)
- Kidney problems
- Electrolyte imbalances
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid taking aloe vera juice, although there is no scientific evidence to prove the same.
Talk to your doctor before starting any kind of diet plan or supplement regimen.
Nutrition and Healthy Eating Resources
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors