- Is It Necessary?
- Weight Loss
- How Many Calories Can You Burn
- Best Positions for Burning Calories
Sex is known to be a proven stressbuster that elevates your mood instantly, and yes, it is completely normal to have sex every day. There are phases in life when you have sex more frequently. For example, in the initial period of dating or marriage known as the “honeymoon phase,” couples have sex as many as three to four times a day. This also happens when a couple is planning to have a baby and want to increase their chances of conceiving.
If the person is single or if their partner is not available when they want to have sex, they may satisfy their sexual urges by masturbation, which is also normal.
Sex, especially with multiple partners, carries the possibility of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) apart from unwanted pregnancy. Hence, no matter how much sex you have, it is vital to adopt protective measures such as the use of condoms and birth control.
What are the benefits of having sex?
Sex not only makes you feel good but also is good for your health in the long run. Doctors recommend having sex regularly not only for progeny but also because of some of its health benefits. These health benefits include:
- Improved libido
- Improving mood
- Increased vaginal lubrication
- Improved bladder control in women
- Improved immune system
- Weight-loss support
- Lowered blood pressure
- Lowered heart attack risk
- Reduced prostate cancer risk
- Improved sleep
- Better memory
- Lower pain levels
- Stress relief
- Boosting immune health
People who have sex at least once a week have been shown to benefit from higher levels of immunoglobulin A, an antibody that protects from illness.
Is it necessary to have sex every day?
Sex not only fulfills your physical needs but also establishes an emotional connection between the two partners in a relationship. The emotional connect factor is more important for women than for men.
Sex indeed comes with multiple benefits but that does not mean that it should be a daily and compulsory chore of life. It is completely fine for you to restrict the number of times you have sex in a day or week. This is because it does not always happen that both the partners want to have sex at the same time or as frequently as the other one. Moreover, it is the willingness of both partners that makes the carnal act more gratifying and enjoyable. Forcing someone to have sex is known as sexual coercion and is not advisable.
Sex might not be okay when
- Your partner does not want to have sex (due to tiredness or sickness).
- Sex becomes a major interference in your work and life.
- Too much sex makes you forget your household or financial responsibilities.
- Excessive sex is causing inflammation or irritation in the vagina.
Hence, you should always feel free to talk to your partner about your current needs so that the two of you can settle on one thing—to have sex or not. After all, sex is not the only way to experience physical intimacy. Sometimes, even kissing and cuddling can make up for sex.
If sexual problems are hampering your relationship, you can always consult a sex therapist or sexologist.
Can you lose weight by having sex?
Believe it or not, studies have shown that having sex can burn almost as many calories as a quick jog. And while it’s not necessarily the most effective form of exercise to shed unwanted pounds, it’s definitely a fun activity to spice up your weight loss program.
Of course, whatever your reason for getting down and dirty more often, remember to practice safe sex to protect yourself and others.
How many calories can you burn by having sex?
A recent study showed that during one 30-minute sex session:
- Men can burn up to 120 calories
- Women can burn up to 90 calories
Another study showed that a vigorous 30-minute sex session can burn as many as 150 calories, which is equivalent to a 15-minute jog.
Of course, chances are that you aren’t going to have sex that long every time. However, sex can be considered a mild to moderate physical activity.
What sex positions burn the most calories?
- This position can help strengthen legs and core muscles.
- If both partners are standing, the woman may burn about 30 calories while the man may burn about 51 calories over 10 minutes.
- If the man is holding the woman up the entire time, he may burn 65 calories and the woman may burn 40 calories.
- This position can help partners burn around 60 calories in 15 minutes.
- The woman must lay on her back with her hands kept flat, then lift her back and legs up to form an arch, while the man is on his knees.
- Men will work their core, hamstrings, and quads muscles. Women will work everything from calves to their shoulders.
- Cowgirl is the best sex position for women when it comes to burning calories.
- Studies have shown that women can burn about 135 calories in a 30-minute session.
- The lower part of the woman's legs are braced on the bed or the floor, which can help engage the buttocks, legs, and core muscles.
- Men can work their core muscles in the doggy position, and women can burn about 84.38 calories.
- Both partners will engage their core muscles, as well as their quads. Women may engage their arm and leg muscles as well.
- However, this position is one of the most dangerous sex positions for women because it can cause vaginal tears.
- In the missionary position, the woman may burn about 14 calories in a 10-minute session and men may burn about 47 calories.
- However, there are ways to burn more energy while doing this simple position and improve core strength.
- Men can flex their core muscles in this position, similar to doing ab crunches. They can also squeeze their glutes during intercourse.
- Women can strengthen their core muscles by lifting the pelvic area with their core instead of their lower back.
Can someone die from sex?
Although there are incidents of death from sex, only 0.6% of sudden death cases are attributable to sexual intercourse. Most of these people have cardiovascular insufficiency. Other sex risks include:
- An activity of sex burns calories equivalent to climbing two to three flights of the staircase. Hence, doctors advise resuming sex gradually after major surgeries. This is especially crucial for patients who have recently undergone cardiac surgery or suffered a heart attack.
- There are reports of patients with known heart diseases in whom sex has triggered a life-threatening arrhythmia (rapid, irregular heart rate). Hence, if you are a heart patient and having sex causes a racing heart, shortness of breath, angina, or fatigue, you should right away see your doctor.
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), syphilis, and gonorrhea may be life-threatening.
- Forcefully bending the erect penis against resistance may result in penis fracture. The pain may be short-lived, or it may continue. Blood can build up under the skin of the penis (hematoma) and cause the penis to swell. Although penile fracture may happen in any position, the woman-on-top position increases the risk. It is a medical emergency, which if left untreated for 24 hours can cause permanent erectile dysfunction and urinary problems.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Sexual Activity and the Cardiac Patient. Available at: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/450572
What is Penile Trauma? Available at: https://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/penile-trauma
Mann D. Get Sexual for Ultimate Weight Loss. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/features/sex-for-weight-loss
Feintuch S. Calories Burned During Sex May Surprise You. Healthy Women. https://www.healthywomen.org/content/article/calories-burned-during-sex-may-surprise-you
Groshura. How to Lose Weight During Sex. https://swano.org/how-to-loose-weight-during-sex.php