Table of Contents
- Knee bursitis facts
- What is bursitis?
- What is knee bursitis?
- What are causes of knee bursitis?
- What are knee bursitis symptoms and signs?
- How do health care professionals diagnose knee bursitis?
- What is the treatment for prepatellar bursitis of the knee?
Are there home remedies for knee bursitis?
- What about the other knee bursae?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) of knee bursitis?
- Is it possible to prevent knee bursitis?
Knee bursitis facts
- A bursa is a fluid-filled sac that functions as a gliding surface to reduce friction between moving tissues of the body.
- There are three major bursae of the knee.
- Bursitis is usually not infectious, but the bursa can become infected.
- Treatment of noninfectious bursitis includes rest, ice, and medications for inflammation and pain. Infectious bursitis is treated with antibiotics, aspiration, and surgery.
1/8Reviewed on 9/15/2017
Next: What is bursitis?