Medical Editor: John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP
Lomotil (diphenoxylate and atropine) is a combination antidiarrheal medication, and an anticholinergic used to treat diarrhea. Lomotil is available in generic form. Common side effects of Lomotil include:
- blurred vision,
- dry mouth,
- upset stomach,
- loss of appetite,
- skin rash, or
Tell your doctor if you experience unlikely but serious side effects of Lomotil including:
- stomach or abdominal pain or swelling,
- severe nausea or vomiting,
- mental/mood changes (e.g., confusion, depression), or
- numbness and tingling of arms or legs.
The recommended initial adult dosage is two Lomotil tablets four times daily or 10 ml (two regular tsp) of Lomotil liquid four times daily (20 mg per day). The pediatric dose is determined by the child's weight. Lomotil may interact with barbiturates or MAO inhibitors. Lomotil may interact with other drugs. Tell your doctor all prescription and over-the-counter medications and supplements you use. During pregnancy, Lomotil should be used only when prescribed. This medication passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
Our Lomotil (diphenoxylate and atropine) Side Effects Drug Center provides a comprehensive view of available drug information on the potential side effects when taking this medication.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- stomach pain or bloating;
- ongoing or worsening diarrhea;
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- numbness in your hands or feet;
- depressed mood;
- confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- fast heart rate; or
- urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- drowsiness, dizziness, headache;
- tired or restless feeling;
- nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, loss of appetite; or
- skin rash, or itching.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the entire detailed patient monograph for Lomotil (Diphenoxylate and Atropine)
The following serious adverse reactions are described elsewhere in labeling:
- Respiratory and/or CNS depression (see WARNINGS)
- Anticholinergic and opioid-toxicities, including atroponism (see WARNINGS and PRECAUTIONS)
- Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance (see WARNINGS)
- GI Complications in patients with infectious diarrhea (see WARNINGS)
- Toxic megacolon in patients with acute ulcerative colitis (see WARNINGS)
At therapeutic doses of Lomotil, the following other adverse reactions have been reported; they are listed in decreasing order of severity, but not of frequency:
The following adverse reactions related to atropine sulfate are listed in decreasing order of severity, but not of frequency: hyperthermia, tachycardia, urinary retention, flushing, dryness of the skin and mucous membranes.
Read the entire FDA prescribing information for Lomotil (Diphenoxylate and Atropine)
© Lomotil Patient Information is supplied by Cerner Multum, Inc. and Lomotil Consumer information is supplied by First Databank, Inc., used under license and subject to their respective copyrights.