Are Prednisone and Medrol the Same Thing?
Medrol (methylprednisolone) and prednisone are glucocorticoids indicated to treat or manage many conditions, endocrine disorders, rheumatic disorders, collagen diseases, dermatologic diseases, allergies, ophthalmic (eye) diseases, respiratory diseases, hematologic disorders, neoplastic diseases (cancers), edematous states, gastrointestinal diseases, and others.
Brand names for prednisone include Deltasone, Rayos, and Prednisone Intensol.
What Are Possible Side Effects of Prednisone?
Common side effects of Prednisone include:
- acne, thinning skin,
- weight gain,
- restlessness, and
- trouble sleeping.
Tell your doctor if you experience serious side effects of prednisone including
- severe allergic reactions (skin rash, itching, hives, swelling of your lips/face/tongue),
- mood changes or depression,
- eye pain or vision changes,
- sore throat,
- difficulty urinating, or
- high blood sugar (increased thirst, increased urination, confusion, or swelling of the ankles and feet).
What Are Possible Side Effects of Medrol?
Common side effects of Medrol include:
- skin problems (acne, dry and thinning skin, easy bruising or discoloration),
- slow wound healing,
- changes in the shape or location of body fat (especially in the neck, face, arms, legs, breasts, and waist),
- stomach pain,
- spinning sensation,
- sleep problems (insomnia),
- increased sweating, and
- mood changes.
Serious side effects of Medrol include emergency medical conditions such as:
- low potassium,
- bloody vomit,
- bloody or tarry stools,
- high blood pressure,
- chest pains,
- mental status changes,
- vision problems, and
- shortness of breath with swelling.
What is Prednisone?
Prednisone is a glucocorticoid indicated to treat or manage many conditions, including endocrine disorders, rheumatic disorders, collagen diseases, dermatologic diseases, allergies, ophthalmic (eye) diseases, respiratory diseases, hematologic disorders, neoplastic diseases (cancers), edematous states, and gastrointestinal diseases.
What is Medrol?
Medrol (methylprednisolone) is a glucocorticoid (adrenocortical steroid) that can depress the immune response and inflammation and is used in diseases ranging from rheumatologic, hematologic, endocrine, dermatologic, immunologic, allergic, and ophthalmologic to many others.