Some of the more important oncogenes include:
- ras (a signal transduction molecule),
- myc (a transcription factor), src (a protein tyrosine kinase),
- HER-2/neu, also called erbB-2 (a growth factor receptor),
- hTERT (an enzyme involved in DNA replication), and
- Bcl-2 (a membrane associated protein that prevents apoptosis).
2. The name of the biomedical journal. Oncogene is a journal for researchers interested in the molecular biology of malignant change including molecular biologists, cell biologists, oncologists, geneticists and biotechnologists.