Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Panic attack symptoms come on suddenly and are unexpected. The symptoms can be severe and disabling, and those who experience panic attacks may lead to the development of irrational fears (phobias) of certain situations. Panic attack symptoms can be varied and may cause the sufferer to feel that death or a catastrophic event is imminent (a sense of impending doom).
Racing heart (palpitations), chest pains, dizziness, difficulty breathing, trembling, stomach upset, hot flashes, chills, terror, altered perceptions, and nervousness are symptoms that are often reported. The symptoms of panic attack may mimic those of a physical illness, such as heart attack. The length of a panic attack can vary, but most attacks tend to last longer than 10 minutes.
Causes of panic attacks
The exact cause of panic attacks is unknown. One way to think about panic attacks is that they seem to occur when the body's inner "alarm system" is triggered even when no danger is present. Panic attacks are thought to arise from a combination of biological or inherited factors, ways of thinking, and environmental factors, including social difficulties or stress.
Memon, Mohammed A. "Panic Disorder." Medscape.com. Nov. 9, 2016. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/287913-overview>.
Main Article on Panic Attack Symptoms and Signs
Other Causes of Panic Attack Symptoms and Signs
- Altered Perceptions
- Chest Pain
- Difficulty Breathing
- Dreamlike Sensations
- Feeling of Detachment
- Hot Flashes
- Numbness or Tingling in the Hands
- Racing Heart
- Sense of Impending Doom
- Shortness of Breath
- Stomach Upset
Examples of Medications for Panic Attack Symptoms and Signs
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- Ativan (lorazepam)
- citalopram, Celexa
- clomipramine (Anafranil)
- clonazepam (Klonopin)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise, Horizant, Fanatrex FusePag) Side Effects, Dosage, and Abuse
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- propranolol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Innopran XL
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- Zoloft (sertraline)
Get tips on therapy and treatment.