- Are Avodart and Propecia the Same Thing?
- What Are Possible Side Effects of Propecia?
- What Are Possible Side Effects of Avodart?
- What is Propecia?
- What is Avodart?
- What Drugs Interact with Propecia?
- What Drugs Interact with Avodart?
- How Should Propecia Be Taken?
- How Should Avodart Be Taken?
Are Propecia and Avodart the Same Thing?
Both Propecia and Avodart are 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, but Propecia is an inhibitor of only the type II 5a-reductase, while Avodart is an inhibitor of both type I and type II 5a-reductase.
What Are Possible Side Effects of Propecia?
Common side effects of Propecia include:
- loss of interest in sex,
- trouble having an orgasm,
- abnormal ejaculation,
- swelling in your hands or feet,
- swelling or tenderness in your breasts,
- feeling like you might pass out,
- runny nose, or
- skin rash.
What Are Possible Side Effects of Avodart?
Common side effects of Avodart include:
- sexual problems (such as decreased sexual interest/ability, decrease in the amount of semen/sperm released during sex),
- impotence (trouble getting or keeping an erection),
- testicle pain or swelling,
- increased breast size, or
- breast tenderness.
What is Propecia?
What is Avodart?
Avodart (dutasteride) is a synthetic 4-azasteroid compound that is a selective inhibitor of both the type 1 and type 2 isoforms of steroid 5 alpha-reductase used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in men with an enlarged prostate. Avodart helps improve urinary flow and may also reduce the need for prostate surgery later. Avodart is sometimes given with another medication called tamsulosin (Flomax). Avodart prevents the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the body. Avodart may be available in generic form.
How Should Propecia Be Taken?
Propecia is available in strength of 1 mg tablets; the recommended dose of Propecia is one tablet (1mg) taken once daily. In general daily use for three months is necessary before benefit is observed. Withdrawl of treatment leads to reversal of effect within 12 months.
How Should Avodart Be Taken?
The recommended dose of Avodart is 1 capsule (0.5 mg) taken once daily.