- Are Risperdal and Risperdal Consta the Same Thing?
- What Are Possible Side Effects of Risperdal? (Side effects)
- What Are Possible Side Effects of Risperdal Consta? (Side effects)
- What Is Risperdal? (Uses)
- What Is Risperdal Consta? (Uses)
- What Drugs Interact with Risperdal? (Interactions)
- What Drugs Interact with Risperdal Consta? (Interactions)
- How Should Risperdal Be Taken? (Dosage)
- How Should Risperdal Consta Be Taken? (Dosage)
Are Risperdal and Risperdal Consta the Same Thing?
Risperdal Consta is an injectable, long-acting form of risperidone.
Side effects of Risperdal and Risperdal Consta that are similar include extrapyramidal effects (sudden, often jerky, involuntary motions of the head, neck, arms, body, or eyes), dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, dry mouth, constipation, runny or stuffy nose, weight gain, restlessness, or anxiety.
What Are Possible Side Effects of Risperdal?
Common side effects of Risperdal include:
- extrapyramidal effects (sudden, often jerky, involuntary motions of the head, neck, arms, body, or eyes),
- weight gain,
- feeling hot or cold,
- dry mouth,
- increased appetite,
- sleep problems (insomnia),
- stomach pain,
- sore throat,
- runny or stuffy nose,
- or skin rash.
Tell your doctor if you experience serious side effects of Risperdal including difficulty swallowing, muscle spasms, shaking (tremor), mental/mood changes, or signs of infection (such as fever, persistent sore throat).
What Are Possible Side Effects of Risperdal Consta?
Common side effects of Risperdal Consta include:
- dry mouth,
- runny nose,
- weight gain or loss,
- dry skin, or
- redness/swelling/pain at the injection site
Tell your doctor if you have serious side effects of Risperdal Consta including:
- difficulty swallowing,
- muscle spasms,
- shaking (tremor),
- mental/mood changes (anxiety, restlessness),
- signs of infection (fever, persistent sore throat),
- symptoms of high blood sugar that can worsen existing diabetes (increased thirst and urination),
- significant weight gain,
- a rise in your blood cholesterol (or triglyceride) levels, and
- tardive dyskinesia which is unusual/uncontrolled movements (especially of the face, lips, mouth, tongue, arms or legs)
What is Risperdal?
Risperdal (risperidone) is an atypical antipsychotic prescribed to treat:
- bipolar mania,
- and autism.
What is Risperdal Consta?
What Drugs Interact With Risperdal?
Risperdal may interact with other medicines that make you sleepy (such as cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety), carbamazepine, fluoxetine, paroxetine, phenytoin, phenobarbital, or rifampin.
What Drugs Interact With Risperdal Consta?
How Should Risperdal Be Taken?
Risperdal dose ranges from 0.5 mg to 8mg/day.
How Should Risperdal Consta Be Taken?
The recommended dose of Risperdal Consta to treat schizophrenia or bipolar disorder is 25 mg given intramuscularly (IM) every 2 weeks.
Mental Health Resources
All drug information provided on RxList.com is sourced directly from drug monographs published by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Any drug information published on RxList.com regarding general drug information, drug side effects, drug usage, dosage, and more are sourced from the original drug documentation found in its FDA drug monograph.
Drug information found in the drug comparisons published on RxList.com is primarily sourced from the FDA drug information. The drug comparison information found in this article does not contain any data from clinical trials with human participants or animals performed by any of the drug manufacturers comparing the drugs.
The drug comparisons information provided does not cover every potential use, warning, drug interaction, side effect, or adverse or allergic reaction. RxList.com assumes no responsibility for any healthcare administered to a person based on the information found on this site.
As drug information can and will change at any time, RxList.com makes every effort to update its drug information. Due to the time-sensitive nature of drug information, RxList.com makes no guarantees that the information provided is the most current.
Any missing drug warnings or information does not in any way guarantee the safety, effectiveness, or the lack of adverse effects of any drug. The drug information provided is intended for reference only and should not be used as a substitute for medical advice.
If you have specific questions regarding a drug’s safety, side effects, usage, warnings, etc., you should contact your doctor or pharmacist, or refer to the individual drug monograph details found on the FDA.gov or RxList.com websites for more information.
You may also report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA by visiting the FDA MedWatch website or calling 1-800-FDA-1088.
FDA. Risperdal Drug Information.
RxList. Risperdal Consta Side Effects Drug Center.