- What other names is Rye Grass known by?
- What is Rye Grass?
- How does Rye Grass work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Rye Grass.
Rye grass is used for prostate conditions such as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), prostate pain, and ongoing inflammation of the prostate.
Possibly Effective for...
- Symptoms of an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia, BPH) including increased urinary frequency, increased nighttime urination, constant feeling of needing to urinate, dribbling, painful urination, and decreased urine flow rate. While taking rye grass extract seems to improve symptoms of an enlarged prostate, there are mixed research findings about whether or not it actually affects the size of the prostate. It is not known if rye grass pollen extract works as well as prescription drugs such as finasteride (Proscar) or alpha-blockers. However, rye grass does seem to work about as well as Pygeum and Paraprost, a Japanese prostate remedy containing L-glutamic acid, L-alanine, and aminoacetic acid.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Shrinking an enlarged prostate, prostate swelling, and pain. Developing evidence suggests that rye grass pollen extract might help these conditions.
- Other conditions.
heartburn, and nausea.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of rye grass during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- For benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH): 126 mg of a specific rye grass pollen extract, three times daily.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.