Medical Definition of Oral candidiasis
Oral candidiasis: Yeast infection of the mouth and throat caused by the fungus Candida albicans; also known as thrush. Yeast organisms are part of the germs normally found in various parts of the body. They ordinarily do not cause any symptoms.
Certain conditions, such as antibiotic use, can disturb the natural balance of microbes in the mouth and allow an overgrowth of Candida to cause thrush.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- FDA Expands Approval of Sutent to Reduce the Risk of Kidney Cancer Returning
- FDA Approves New Treatment to Prevent Bleeding in Certain Patients with Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves Treatment for Rare Genetic Enzyme Disorder
- FDA Grants Marketing of the First Device Helping to Reduce the Symptoms of Opioid Withdrawal
- FDA Approves Pill with Sensor that Digitally Tracks if Patients Have Ingested their Medication
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.