Medical Definition of Unconscious
Unconscious: 1. Interruption of awareness of
oneself and one's surroundings, lack of the ability to
notice or respond to stimuli in the environment. A person
may become unconscious due to oxygen deprivation, shock,
central nervous system depressants such as alcohol and
drugs, or injury.
2. In psychology, that part of thought and emotion that happens outside everyday awareness.
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- FDA Expands Approval of Sutent to Reduce the Risk of Kidney Cancer Returning
- FDA Approves New Treatment to Prevent Bleeding in Certain Patients with Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves Treatment for Rare Genetic Enzyme Disorder
- FDA Grants Marketing of the First Device Helping to Reduce the Symptoms of Opioid Withdrawal
- FDA Approves Pill with Sensor that Digitally Tracks if Patients Have Ingested their Medication