Medical Definition of Unconscious
Unconscious: 1. Interruption of awareness of
oneself and one's surroundings, lack of the ability to
notice or respond to stimuli in the environment. A person
may become unconscious due to oxygen deprivation, shock,
central nervous system depressants such as alcohol and
drugs, or injury.
2. In psychology, that part of thought and emotion that happens outside everyday awareness.
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- Regular Walking, Even if Minimal, Tied to Lower Death Risk
- FDA Approves CAR-T Cell Therapy to Treat Adults with Certain Types of Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- FDA Clears Ustekinumab (Stelara) for Plaque Psoriasis in Teens
- 'Alarming' Increase in Stroke Risk Factors
- FDA Clears New Robotically-Assisted Surgical Device for Adult Patients