Medical Definition of Thioxanthene
Thioxanthene: One of a group of drugs with antipsychotic activity which act by blocking postsynaptic (after-the-nerve) receptors for dopamine (a chemical that nerves use to communicate with one another) in the brain.
Examples include: thiothixene (brand name: Navane), chlorprothixene (Remeron) and flupenthixol.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/9/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- Regular Walking, Even if Minimal, Tied to Lower Death Risk
- FDA Approves CAR-T Cell Therapy to Treat Adults with Certain Types of Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- FDA Clears Ustekinumab (Stelara) for Plaque Psoriasis in Teens
- 'Alarming' Increase in Stroke Risk Factors
- FDA Clears New Robotically-Assisted Surgical Device for Adult Patients
Find out what women really need.