Medical Definition of Hiatal
Hiatal: Pertaining to an hiatus, an opening.
An hiatal hernia occurs when a part of the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm at the opening where the esophagus normally passes through the diaphragm.
"Hiatus" in Latin means an opening.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/9/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- MI Linked to Increased Vascular Dementia, Not Alzheimer's
- New Guidelines Released on Pediatric Obesity and Stigma
- FDA Expands Approval of Sutent to Reduce the Risk of Kidney Cancer Returning
- FDA Approves New Treatment to Prevent Bleeding in Certain Patients with Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves Treatment for Rare Genetic Enzyme Disorder
Get the latest treatment options.