Medical Definition of Gram (measure)
Gram (measure): A unit of measurement of weight and mass in the metric system. In weight, a gram is equal to a thousandth of a kilogram. In mass, a gram is equal to a thousandth of a liter (one cubic centimeter) of water at 4 degrees centigrade.
The word "gram" comes from the Late Latin "gramma" meaning a small weight via the French "gramme."
The abbreviation for gram is gm. Its symbol is g.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- Regular Walking, Even if Minimal, Tied to Lower Death Risk
- FDA Approves CAR-T Cell Therapy to Treat Adults with Certain Types of Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- FDA Clears Ustekinumab (Stelara) for Plaque Psoriasis in Teens
- 'Alarming' Increase in Stroke Risk Factors
- FDA Clears New Robotically-Assisted Surgical Device for Adult Patients