Medical Definition of Distention
Distention: The state of being distended, enlarged, swollen from internal pressure.
For example, on inhalation there is distention of the lungs due to the increased air pressure within the lungs.
The word "distention" comes from a Latin root "tendere," to extend. The word "tendon" comes from the same root.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- Regular Walking, Even if Minimal, Tied to Lower Death Risk
- FDA Approves CAR-T Cell Therapy to Treat Adults with Certain Types of Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- FDA Clears Ustekinumab (Stelara) for Plaque Psoriasis in Teens
- 'Alarming' Increase in Stroke Risk Factors
- FDA Clears New Robotically-Assisted Surgical Device for Adult Patients