Medical Definition of DSM
DSM: Abbreviation for the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders," a comprehensive classification of officially recognized psychiatric disorders, published by the American Psychiatric Association , for use by mental health professionals to ensure uniformity of diagnosis.
DSM describes symptoms and does not discuss the causes of the disorders. DSM-IV designates the 4th edition. Issued in 1993, DSM-IV is currently the latest edition (as of 2001).Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- Eat More Fiber, Not Less, During Pelvic Radiotherapy?
- Regular Walking, Even if Minimal, Tied to Lower Death Risk
- FDA Approves CAR-T Cell Therapy to Treat Adults with Certain Types of Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- FDA Clears Ustekinumab (Stelara) for Plaque Psoriasis in Teens
- 'Alarming' Increase in Stroke Risk Factors