Medical Definition of Abortion
Abortion: In medicine, an abortion is the premature exit of the products of conception (the fetus, fetal membranes, and placenta) from the uterus. It is the loss of a pregnancy and does not refer to why that pregnancy was lost.
A spontaneous abortion is the same as a miscarriage. The miscarriage of three or more consecutive pregnancies is termed habitual abortion or recurrent pregnancy loss.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- Regular Walking, Even if Minimal, Tied to Lower Death Risk
- FDA Approves CAR-T Cell Therapy to Treat Adults with Certain Types of Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- FDA Clears Ustekinumab (Stelara) for Plaque Psoriasis in Teens
- 'Alarming' Increase in Stroke Risk Factors
- FDA Clears New Robotically-Assisted Surgical Device for Adult Patients
Find out what women really need.