Medical Definition of Reservoir
Reservoir: 1. A place where something such as water is kept in reserve.
2. The part of a device in which something is kept in reserve or stored, as an Ommaya reservoir.
3. For an infectious agent, an animal, person, plant, soil, or other substance in which the agent normally abides. See: Reservoir of infection.
From the French reservoir, from reserver meaning to reserve.
Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- Eat More Fiber, Not Less, During Pelvic Radiotherapy?
- Regular Walking, Even if Minimal, Tied to Lower Death Risk
- FDA Approves CAR-T Cell Therapy to Treat Adults with Certain Types of Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- FDA Clears Ustekinumab (Stelara) for Plaque Psoriasis in Teens
- 'Alarming' Increase in Stroke Risk Factors