Medical Definition of Facultative
Facultative: 1. In general, not obligatory but rather capable of adapting to different conditions.
2. In bacteriology, bacteria that can grow under either aerobic or anaerobic circumstances (with or without oxygen).
Last Editorial Review: 6/9/2016
Drug Medical Dictionary of Terms by Letter
Medical Dictionary Term:
Top RxList Drug News
- FDA Approves First Two-Drug Regimen for Certain Patients with HIV
- MI Linked to Increased Vascular Dementia, Not Alzheimer's
- New Guidelines Released on Pediatric Obesity and Stigma
- FDA Expands Approval of Sutent to Reduce the Risk of Kidney Cancer Returning
- FDA Approves New Treatment to Prevent Bleeding in Certain Patients with Hemophilia A