Medical Definition of Heartburn
Heartburn: An uncomfortable feeling of burning and warmth occurring in waves rising up behind the breastbone (sternum) toward the neck. It is usually due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), the rise of stomach acid back up into the esophagus. Heartburn has nothing whatsoever to do with the heart. It is a popular nonmedical term. It is medically called pyrosis.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- Eat More Fiber, Not Less, During Pelvic Radiotherapy?
- Regular Walking, Even if Minimal, Tied to Lower Death Risk
- FDA Approves CAR-T Cell Therapy to Treat Adults with Certain Types of Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- FDA Clears Ustekinumab (Stelara) for Plaque Psoriasis in Teens
- 'Alarming' Increase in Stroke Risk Factors
Get the latest treatment options.