Medical Definition of Herpes simplex type 1
Herpes simplex type 1: A herpes virus that causes cold sores and fever blisters in and around the mouth. Here is a depiction of a typical fever blister caused by herpes simplex 1:
In rare cases, as when someone's immune system is severely compromised, this virus can cause infection of the brain (encephalitis), requiring intravenous therapy.
Herpes simplex type 1 is also known as human herpesvirus 1 (HHV-1).Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 1/25/2017
Top RxList Drug News
- FDA Approves First Two-Drug Regimen for Certain Patients with HIV
- MI Linked to Increased Vascular Dementia, Not Alzheimer's
- New Guidelines Released on Pediatric Obesity and Stigma
- FDA Expands Approval of Sutent to Reduce the Risk of Kidney Cancer Returning
- FDA Approves New Treatment to Prevent Bleeding in Certain Patients with Hemophilia A
Find out what women really need.