Medical Definition of Holter monitor
Holter monitor: A type of portable heart monitor that is a small electrocardiogram (EKG) device worn in a pouch around the neck or waist. A Holter monitor keeps a record of the heart rhythm, typically over a 24-hour period, and the patient keeps a diary of activities and symptoms. The EKG recording is then correlated with the person's activities and symptoms. This type of test is useful for identifying heart disturbances that are sporadic and not readily identified with a resting EKG.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- Eat More Fiber, Not Less, During Pelvic Radiotherapy?
- Regular Walking, Even if Minimal, Tied to Lower Death Risk
- FDA Approves CAR-T Cell Therapy to Treat Adults with Certain Types of Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- FDA Clears Ustekinumab (Stelara) for Plaque Psoriasis in Teens
- 'Alarming' Increase in Stroke Risk Factors
Get the latest treatment options.