Medical Definition of Tricyclic antidepressants
Tricyclic antidepressants: One of a class of medications used to treat depression. The tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) are also used for some forms of anxiety, fibromyalgia, and the control of chronic pain.
"Tricyclic" refers to the presence of three rings in the chemical structure of these drugs.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- FDA Approves First Two-Drug Regimen for Certain Patients with HIV
- MI Linked to Increased Vascular Dementia, Not Alzheimer's
- New Guidelines Released on Pediatric Obesity and Stigma
- FDA Expands Approval of Sutent to Reduce the Risk of Kidney Cancer Returning
- FDA Approves New Treatment to Prevent Bleeding in Certain Patients with Hemophilia A
Get tips on therapy and treatment.