Claritin

Comment from: Scared, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 27

I felt "woozy" and almost intoxicated on the very first dose. Unfortunately, I had a sinus condition and continued to take this stuff. 3 days later, I felt like I was having a massive heart attack- (crushing bands across the chest, pain in the heart area) and went to the hospital emergency room. I was there for 4 days, and finally the 5th doctor I saw told me HE had had the same problem with a reaction to Claratin. NEVER AGAIN! And they don't tell you about side effects and now it's OTC. BEWARE!!!!

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 14

Started taking this drug because of constant stuffy nose. It helped that somewhat but after taking it for about a month I started waking up with terrible backache every morning. The claritin has to be causing it because I have started and stopped the drug several times and the backache always comes back when I take it. Several people have told me they experienced same thing but I haven't seen it mentioned on here.

Related Reading: claritin

Comment from: Donald, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 19

I have been taking the 24 hour allergy pill, no decongestant. It works very well in controlling the sinus stuffiness and I sleep like a baby but I noticed I was having joint pains, specifically in my left knee. It took me several times on and off to realize that it occurs after taking for a few days. when I go off, it clears up slowly. I never had this problem before and am convinced it is a side effect of this drug. Would like to know if others have experienced this.

Related Reading: allergy

Published: September 18

I get itchy nose, stuffy nose, itchy eyes, wheezing - all sorts of allergies. Claritin works only partially for me. My problem has been that it gives me anxiety. I prefer using some of the over the counter night time allergy medication.

Related Reading: claritin | anxiety

Comment from: gardener, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 07

The painful sinus headaches vanished. My sleep pattern was greatly improved (haven't slept well for years) and I was able to get 7 to 8 hours of solid sleep after several months of on and off taking it. MY COMPLAINT: After $1200 of doctor bills and tests I discovered my extreme knee pain was from taking this. My knees burned under the knee cap and felt very swollen inside, very painful just to walk. I STOPPED AND STARTED 3 TIMES IN SEVERAL MONTHS TO PROVE IT......AND YEP, THAT WAS MY PROBLEM. I have never in my life had any knee pain before but it only takes 3 doses and I begin with the knees. It takes about 7 doses to really begin to flair. Looks like I have a choice between knee pain or head and sinus pain.

Related Reading: knee pain

Comment from: LeRoy, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 15

I have had seasonal allergy and sinus problems nearly all my life and have spent a small fortune on prescription and otc drugs. Now, because of my age, it has come down to what my body will tolerate and I've discovered Loratadine 10mg 24hr tabs do a fair job for me. I am allergic to anything with diphenhydramine in it so that takes most other meds out of play. Pseudoephedrine raises my blood pressure.

Related Reading: diphenhydramine | pseudoephedrine

Comment from: willowmp, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 02

I am a 15 year old male prescribed to claritin 24 hour allergy for uticaria. 1 pill (10 mil. loratadine every 24 hours) and have been taking it for 3 months. Without using claritin or when i miss a dose I get hives until i get back on it but the problem is the side effects. Personally i have experienced agitation, mood swings, depression, water retension, suicidal thoughts, insominia, extreme fatigue, and a screwed up sleep sechedual. Overall the medicine does what it was made for but the side effects are worring espically when they are not listed on the box and there have been many reports of these side effects just google claritin and you will see. In the presence of a trigger for depression it can greatly increase it into suicidal thoughts and other mood swings. Be warned the box doesn't label any side effects but from my and many other experiences it has serious, common side effects.

Related Reading: hives | depression | fatigue

Comment from: Allergic_too, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 07

I keep switching from Claritin to Zyrtec. Both are effective - take care of my stuffy nose as well asthma. However, with Claritin, I get a lot of anxiety (including very negative dreams). I got recently diagonosed with slightly elevated Blood pressure - not sure if one of these antihistamines caused it.

Related Reading: claritin | zyrtec | asthma

Comment from: Teddy, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 08

I have asthma and it is bad when I get a cold or the flu! I need something that will work fast for me to unclog my nose. I have had very good results talking one 10mg Claritin non drowsy pill every 24 hours. By the next day I am feeling better. I have had no bad effects from taking this drug and only use it until my nose in unclogged at the most a week to two weeks if its flu symptoms. With Asthma I cant wait as once both sides of my nose clog I end up in a emergency room. Claritin has worked for me with no bad effects.

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: truenoise, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 11

I really wish this had worked for me. I'm an adult, and this is the first year I've ever had persistent allergies. I was using Benadryl (or a generic equivalent) up to twice a day, but then I started having restless leg syndrome, and tremors in my neck. After a little internet research, I found both of these conditions can be caused or aggravated by Benadryl (dipenhydramine)so I stopped taking it. Pseudaphed makes me agitated and anxious and gives me a racing heartbeat (but boy, do I go on cleaning binges!) I kind of feel like I'm out of OTC options, and I'm still sneezing, drippy, and miserable. Like other users, I find the Claritin packaging difficult to get into: my guess is it's extra strong because the tablets are water soluble and they're trying to keep them from getting damp.

Related Reading: benadryl | restless leg syndrome | tremors

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 11

I've never had any allergies before so when i got a stuffy nose, nasal drip, itchy and watery eyes, and some sinus pressure with no fever, I had to call my doctor to see what OTC meds i could take w/out interfering with my thyroid, acne, and anxiety meds. His assistant told me to just ask the pharmacist. So i did and she recommended Claritin. I took it and I felt much better that afternoon, went to bed, and when i woke up I noticed i was getting hives and itching on my elbows and the back of my legs. Of course I panicked and scratched, making it worse. It seemed to be spreading all over my body --my feet, arms, chest, back, neck, my scalp and my ears. I called the pharmacist back and she laughed that i was allergic to an allergy med and said to take benadryl. It didn't do anything. That night I felt terrible chest pains. I thought it was heartburn but no matter what i took or how i sat it still hurt. Did not sleep much that night. I went for an emergency visit the 2nd day to my doctor and he prescribed a med for my hives and told me the chest pains were from hyperventilating (which i did not believe). I started taking the prescription and it has helped me slowly, I didnt get any chest pains the 3rd night and I'm less itchy, i noticed however that all my joints esp in my hands and fingers were red and swollen and hot. Eventually it went away. But now I'm experiencing painful swallowing, and my ears "tickle" when I swallow. Also, it feels like my lungs hurt when I breathe deep. This is my 5th day suffering from the side effects and its STILL in my bloodstream I guess. No more Claritin for me.

Related Reading: fever | acne | anxiety

Comment from: Cammie, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 16

After years of suffering alergies. I just starting taking Claritin a week ago. At first it was wonderful, but now I cannot sleep and I am waking with a headache. I am extremely tired and have decided to tolerate my symptoms and get some rest.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: Danielle, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 21

I've been taking Claritin-D steadily for about 2 years after being diagnosed with Adult Onset Allergies. It always took care of my allergy symptons perfectly, but it left me with a lovely grab-bag of neurosis. I was horribly depressed and had really random mood swings and panic attacks and difficulty sleeping. Behaviors I've never before experienced. I did some research (and talked to my doctor) and discovered that consistently taking Claritin-D creates symptoms similar to meth addiction due to the pseudoephedrine. I stopped taking it 2 weeks ago and I'm feeling better, though the mental adjustment is difficult. I called Schering-Plough and they (of course) stood by their product, kindly offering me a refund. I said they should refund the thousands I paid them since I'm stuck dealing with what amounts to meth withdrawal. Now I'm back to Benadryl. Allergies are fantastic!

Related Reading: allergy | panic attacks | pseudoephedrine

Comment from: allergygirl, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 14

After taking Claritin for a few weeks I developed a back pain. When I stop it goes away, so I know its a side effect. I saw one other post describing this.

Related Reading: claritin

Comment from: sschmed1950, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 09

I love the fact that I don't get drowsy with this medication. I've tried other allergy meds and they didn't work. Then every 'body' is different, isn't it. I take it at night and it helps my nose stay clear all night. I had no problems at all this with medication and I recommend it to others.

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: Fabian, 13-18 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 18

It got rid of the mucus in about 4hrs. It left me with a dry nose though.

Comment from: MSuzanne, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 29

I had been giving this medication to my 2 year old. It was somewhat effective in treating his allergy symptoms, but it made him extremely angry, irritable and hyperactive. His behavior became so horrible that I took him off the medicine. Within two days, he was back to normal. His allergy symptoms have returned, but at least he's not acting crazy anymore. We're looking for another allergy medicine that works without the horrible side effects.

Comment from: shellmaxus@yahoo.com, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 12

works ok for children , when givin the correct dose. does seem to make them more hyper. did control cough, and stuff nose a bit.

Related Reading: cough

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 12

After taking this for 2 days I feel like I was run over by a truck. I have flu like symptoms from head to toes. Same thing happened with Allegra. What's a person to do?

Related Reading: flu | allegra

Comment from: 0-2 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 28

My 2-year-old was on Claritin for seasonal allergies. Within a few days of beginning treatment, our daughter began having violent mood swings, sleep problems, rage, irritability and tearfulness. I never would have suspected Claritin but for several posts I read on this site. We discontinued the medication and the behavior problems stopped within 48 hours. The medication prevented the constant runny nose of allergy season, but was not worth the terrible side effects.

Comment from: bequilting, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 21

My 3 yr old has allergies and this med does not stop the itchy eyes and sneezing. Doc has her take 1 tsp every nite. I have found that Benadryl works better than anything else.

Related Reading: benadryl

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 18

I've had a persistent cough for a few weeks and my Doctor said that I should take Claritin OTC for it. I've been taking for a week and my cough hasn't gone away.

Comment from: Shadynight, 13-18 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 06

I had used it for awhile because i had a stuffy nose and it made my heart beat really fast and take my iron down waaaay low. I felt like i was having a heart attack from my heart being so fast. It took care of my stuffy nose but not a good price.

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: loratidine user, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 03

At change of seasons I take Loratidine (generic Claritin) and it gives me a lot of relief. From stuffy nose, sneezing and itchy eyes. This season for some reason after being on it more than a few days, it gave me horrible watery diarrhea. I stopped taking it and the diarrhea resolved. Haven't confirmed whether or not it will occur with the brand name versus generic.

Related Reading: loratidine | diarrhea

Comment from: lp56, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 20

Tried this several times for seasonal allergy - runny nose, itchy eyes and sneezing. It brought some relief on the first day, but by the third day, it had no noticeable effect at all. When I stopped taking it, I got a horrible withdrawal headache that lasted the whole day and was not relieved by aspirin. This happened consistently. A clear-cut case of the cure being worse than the disease.

Related Reading: allergy | headache | aspirin