Actos

Comment from: stayhealthy, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 15

DO NOT USE ACTOS OR ANY OTHER PIOGLITAZONE DRUG My brother had all of the symptoms that many have posted here, and also developed pancreatic and liver cancer and died. He had also used Metformin at times. His decline happened quickly, and he died Oct.22, 2012. It is interesting to note that some of the reviewer experience was around the same time period during my brother's sudden illness. Could it have been because of a bad batch of this awful drug, or the drug itself? Nothing can ease my pain, but to warn and protect you from harm is important to me. PLEASE DO NOT LET YOUR LOVED ONES USE THIS He was working Sept 3, and died October 22. He never had a sick day before this time. I sent my information to the FDA. But you need to know this now.

Related Reading: pioglitazone | liver cancer | metformin

Comment from: missingdad, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 24

my dad died of liver cancer, no cancer on his side of family. it was due to this deadly drug

Related Reading: cancer

Comment from: missupapasmurf, Published: February 05

Lost my dad to pancreatic and liver cancer April 29, 2013. DONT use this drug!

Comment from: nana54sandys, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 12

I was on actos for about 6 months and experienced unexplained fatigue, weight gain, fluid retention, shortness of breath and (the last straw that broke the camel's back) Congestive Heart Failure-CHF in Dec '13. Then when I reported the CHF to my Endocrinologist on Jan 9 she said it was the actos and immediately took me off (the actos). I'm humbly advising all and sundry to stay away from this drug for it will damage you slowly. Now on a different med for trial

Related Reading: actos | congestive heart failure

Comment from: serious business, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 25

I have been on 45mg of Actos a day for some time now, from the beginning I was so tired I slept 18 ours a day. I had no energy. I felt my life was over. Then I got the swelling. My face, feet, ankles but especially my thighs swelled to the point my wife said I looked like I had elephantitis. I gained over 100 lbs, 40 lbs in 6 months. This is a very bad drug. It already has a black lable but needs to be removed om the market. I had a heart attack about one year after taking this drug, I have serious thoughts if it caused it from all the swelling in my body. I had mention the swelling problem to my family physician many times and he just seemed to think I was over eating. I hardly eat anything. I finally asked my cardioligist, he immediately said it was the Actos. I have stopped taking Actos for 4 days now, I cant say at this point I feel better or less tired but my blood sugars are low 60 to 70 without the Actos. Don't Risk it people. Dont take this drug. I am very concerned as a diabetic with problematic blood circulation how this extreme swelling has further damaged organs, arteries, viens, or heart.

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: epiphany4z, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 15

30mg once a day for about 8 months. At First it brought my #s down, later they where all over the place. What I thought to be diabetes complication turned out to be actos side effects. swelling,weight gain, urgent need to urinate, sweet craving, tired all the time, pain,pain,pain, and more pain all my muscles, my legs, the bones in my feet and ankles. I have been off the drug for less than the month and my sugars have improved and nearly all symptoms are gone or rapidly improving. I do believe this drug was killing me. I know for sure it made my quality of life suck while I was on it, I feel reborn since I stopped taking it.

Related Reading: diabetes

Comment from: toxicfoodanddrugskill, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: April 04

I wonder how many people have died because of Actos? They're not able to review...only the few caregivers who watched them die. DO NOT USE THIS DRUG YOUR...LIFE BELONGS TO YOU...NOT THE MEDICAL INDUSTRY. STAY AWAY FROM CARBS AND SUGAR, AND EXERCISE. HEALTH IS NOT IN A BIGPHARMA PILL...IT'S ON YOUR PLATE.

Comment from: joyce, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 18

sore throat, blurred vision, pink urine, tiredness, very sore, muscles,and having problems not getting to the bathroom in time. urine in pants. Actos is not for me. Way to meaning side effects for me.

Related Reading: sore throat | actos

Comment from: Go gators!, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 20

My dad was put on Actos a year ago and he has gone down hill ever since with very strange side effects. His face and neck is swollen to the point that it looks like he was wearing a "fat suit" on a movie set. (He didnt gain weight in his legs and arms like other people stated) His total weight gain so far is 35 lbs. But the biggest problem was he coughed ALL the time. He kept getting misdiagnosed with either pnuemonia or congestive heart failure. He had so much fluid in his lungs that he was getting it drained every 2 weeks. They had to insert a needle through his back to remove the fluid, if not he felt like he was drowning and having a heart attack. He would get short of breath just walking to the restroom at home. The first time they removed fluid from his lung they collected 30oz, 2 weeks later they pulled 50oz! One day he happened to get a phone call from an old friend who said stop Actos immediately because the same thing happened to him. We have wasted so much time,worry, and money thinking he had something horrible wrong with him. He's had EKG's, echo cardiograms,blood test, cancer scans, etc. All along it has been this drug. My entire family is outraged over this. Do not take this drug!! Although we trust his primary Dr., he didnt seem to know any of the side effects with Actos. Get the word out!

Comment from: Dr. Y, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 16

In about 6 months with Actos I have gained 15 pounds. I had been able to control my glucose level for nearly 6 years with diet and exercise before my levels increased. Actos gives me a range of readings from 94 to 140. I am eating less and exercising more than ever to NO avail. Additionally, I have had about a dozen days of low blood sugar. I would gladly go to something else if there is something better. I have given Actos a fair trial and am very disappointed. Does the maker NOT understand Type 2 diabetes at ALL? Weight gain as a side effect is ludicrous! Dr. Walter Yingling

Related Reading: low blood sugar | type 2 diabetes

Comment from: ashkman, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 26

In two years taking actos not only I gained 25 pounds, but I also retaining water and having hard time to breath with swallon ankle and hands. I got off and not going back even if I die. I am seeking another med.

Related Reading: actos

Comment from: Peej, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 25

I took this drug for approximately 2 months and almost immediately started having shortness of breath, swelling all over my bodym significant weight gain and symptoms of congestive heart failure. I looked it up on the web and it clearly stated under "side effects" that it CAUSES CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE!! DON'T EVER TAKE THIS DRUG. IT WILL KILL YOU. After going off the medication I lost most of the weight I had gained, the swellling and shortness of breath went away and I could walk more that 20 feet without stopping to catch my breath. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THIS DRUG TO ANYONE.

Related Reading: heart failure

Comment from: me, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 08

I don't care what the FDA said when they put this drug back on the market... I have spoken to many oncologists in major hospitals and they have no doubt that 4 years of Actos caused my bladder cancer. Shame on the FDA for giving in to pressure once again.

Related Reading: bladder cancer

Comment from: QUEENIE, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 11

I USE TO TAKE METFORMIN AND IS NOT WORKING

Related Reading: metformin

Comment from: Freda, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 29

The one side effect that I hate is that over the years (almost immediately, and continuingly) I gained 50 lbs.--wasn't eating even 1/3 of what I used to eat. When it says in the side effects "may cause weight gain" it REALLY DOES, and I haven't been able to lose that weight.

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: June 22

This drug gave my husband congestive heart failure please watch you feet and legs swelling my husband has been in the hospital twice in a month and they found out it was the drug that was causing it

Related Reading: congestive heart failure

Comment from: rlordslaw, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 31

Actos is a dangerous drug. I had heart surgery in Jan. and then had complications of water retention around lungs. I had three thoracintis (remove excess water) procedures. After the third time a friend of mine sent me an article explaining that actos caused water retention. I showed family doc and surgeon the article. Family doc took me off actos immediately. Four weeks later my surgeon found no evidence of water around my lungs. My blood glucose level stayed the same as well.

Related Reading: actos

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 02

I've been gaining weight since I've been on this medicaton

Comment from: ELIZA, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 29

I experienced side effects from this drug after 2 months stopped taking. Muscle weakness and pain first in legs and then all over my body, unexplained fatigue, stomach upset and nausea, and blurred vision.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: dlecours, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 27

After reading other reviews I am terrified. I have been on Actos for about 14 months. I have gained 50 lbs and am constantly tired and have muscle aches/pains all day long. It lowered my A1C for sure (well maybe just changing my diet did, but my Dr has given the credit to Actos). I have been convinced that I have something major causing these problems. Had Xrays CT Scans, etc. Nothing. I have had sinus and lung congestion problems even hacking up blood from time to time. Now I am starting to have shortness of breath. I have had a few instances of waking up feeling like I was sufficating because I couldn't breath. I couldn't even complete the basic functions of my job. I have tried to work out but can't go very long and have had little to no results for weight loss. I was a scholarship athlete in College and have always been in good or decent shape at worst. I never had a problem putting the work in at the gym but can't do it now. I am going to stop taking the drug and see what happens I have no doubt this is the cause for more problems than the little help of a lower A1C. I am up to 270+lbs. I would rather go off it and die than keep living this way. I can barely play softball or play with my nephews let alone have the energy to put into a girlfriend or work. This drug is evil and I think it is only a matter of time before the cat is out of the bag on how bad these side effects are. I have never liked the sue happy mentality of people now a days, but I am furious with my Dr and can't believe this drug is around you get paid a lot of money to make me feel better not worse. Of course it isn't about patients it is about money. I wish I would have known this a year ago. Oh my Drs response to my description of my symptoms and telling him I feel like I am just surviving daily at this point was I probably have Chronic Fatigue and there is no way to test for that. I wonder if he gets an all expenses paid vacation on the company that makes Actos?

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: corky, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 21

sugar level droped from 120 to 108, but i gaind 20 pounds in two months need to get off actos

Related Reading: actos

Comment from: duck3mn, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 09

Taking Actos for 10 years, and 6 months ago, I began having symptoms of a heart attack. After $40,000 in hospital costs, the cardiologist reported my problems to be non-heart related. Then a family doctor took me off of Actos, and all those symptoms disappeared.

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: MAMA LUVS, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 03

THIS IS A BAD DRUG I GOT MY MOM OFF OF IT THEN SHE HAD BAD SIDE AFFECTS FROM WITHDRAWAL FROM ACTOS DO NOT EVER GO ON THIS DRUG BAD DRUG

Related Reading: actos

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 11

I have read and heard so many negative things including pancreatic cancer linked to act is that taking it is frightening.

Related Reading: pancreatic cancer

Comment from: james, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 04

i have experionced conjestive heart failer, i have a stint, i now have a cancer on my kidney and problems with my kidney. swelling of hands and feet.weakness,and sleepyness.

Related Reading: cancer