Adderall

Comment from: dominoK, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 10

I am a 48 y.o university professor, - after years of frustration and depression because of my procrastination habits and, as I described it, a lack of engagement between my brain and my body. I finally went into therapy just over a year ago at the urging of my wife and was diagnosed with ADHD. I started taking Adderall about 8 months ago. I have found that Adderall is very effective at helping me to focus and listen. It helps me to be more deliberate in my actions, I'm not just drifting through the day. In my classroom I have found that I am able to listen to myself better and not be distracted by those students who give me that 'I'm so bored' look. One of the most interesting effects I've found is that I now actually hear and listen to the lyrics of songs! - never did that before. Looking back at my life, all the way to when I was 6 years old I now recognize the symptoms that had always been there. I feel that the treatment is working for me, but as my doctor says, the worst part is that I'm 48 and have only now finally taken care of a life-long problem. I take 30 mg. (15 mg standard 2 x a day). I did feel the side effects for about the first two or three days (teeth grinding and dry mouth) but they subsided and I don't have any issues with that now. I've lost a few pounds, but I love to eat and once I start eating, my appetite is fine. I know that I'll have to continue with this, probably for the rest of my life, but I think of it as a simple compound that my body chemistry is simply missing - so it helps me a lot. Finally I would say to those of you suffering horrible side effects, stop, and get another opinion! If the side effects are that bad, then you probably have a different problem. Amphetamines are an important drug that can work well for those who need it, but if you don't, you are abusing it. I thought that it would be like the speed we experimented with in high school, but it's not. It is an essential part of my life now, stigma or not -

Related Reading: depression | adderall | teeth grinding

Comment from: dd, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 05

I am a mental health therapist, and reading these reviews of Adderall makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time. I am also taking adderall, and know in my heart that I am addicted, and struggle with knowing this everyday. With not wanting to refill my script, but knowing that the addict in me will call my doctor and get a refill. Knowing that I will become emotionless and cold, sleepless and edgy, but with a clean house and unhappy children who don't understand why their mom is so tense and angry. I know that I will start having to take Zanax and Ambien to calm down at night, and that the divide between my husband and I will grow bigger. This medication helped me at first, it felt like legal meth. Because that is what it is. The sad thing is, I was working in the substance abuse field when I began by adderall journey. I am not saying that everyone will experience what I am going through, but my sister also has the exact same problems. While I thought we would be having cookouts and taking our kids to the park, instead we are swapping scripts and pills and cleaning tips. I caution everyone who is thinking about taking this drug to consider whether they can do it responsibly, and their family history of addiction. Reading these other reviews makes me feel much less alone, but also very sad that so many people are having these problems. I realize that I may need help to get off of it, but that is very hard when you work in the field that I do and your professional reputation is on the line. I use up my script in less than two weeks, and then have two weeks without it. The two weeks w/out it are so much better, but the addict in me never listens. Every month I think I can do it responsibly. I just wonder, when is it gonna be to much? I know the saying one is to many and a thousand is never enough. In my case, that is so true. Please be careful.

Related Reading: mental health | ambien

Comment from: Niecie, 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 12

I am a 49 yr female... I always knew I was differrent. I felt like information went into my brain but went right out the other side. I would read, listen to a lecture or be in a conversation and end with no recollection of the information I was given. How was I to explain this to a doctor... I thought they would think I was crazy. I rehearsed over and over what I would say to them to make them believe there truely was a problem. How much easier it would be to go in and show them a cut, bruise or broken bone... they could fix it. How could they diagnose or fix a problem they couldn't see and I couldn't explain. I spent 7 years in and out of the doctors office. She first put me on prozac, treated me for an inter-ear infection, had me get all of my old fillings replaced, got glasses,treated me for allergies, etc. All these things were good but there was still something much more. She gave up, one day she said "I can't help you". Talk about a heart break and a validation that I was crazy. One day I read an ad on Straterra... explaining the symptoms of adult ADHD. I asked my doctor if there were special test for that. She said yes, as she rolled her eyes, but she would have to refer me to a shrink...here we ago again! The psycologist had me diagnosed in moments. No special tests were needed. The Straterra has helped for about 6 years now but there was still something more that I couldn't put my finger on. I have been going to doctors now for another 3 years to finally get one to take my extreme fatigue seriously. I took a sleep test and I have mild narcolepsy. My doctor has recently added adderall and I am finally content that what I have been silently struggling with all my life has been discovered and properly treated. I breaks my heart to pieces to think I raised my 3 children without this help. I struggled so badly just to make it through each day and hide my feelings of "stupidness". Now at almost 50, I feel like I have a clear mind...and a new start on life.

Related Reading: broken bone | prozac | ear infection

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 01

I have always struggled in school and my parents did not believe in ADD or ADHD. I would listen to someone talk to me for 10 minutes and not be able to tell you one word that they said. I went from a D student at a very good university to making the Dean's list. I have read a few negative reviews of this drug, and I must say that I believe those who had negative opinions about the drug were either on the wrong dosage, or did not need the medication in the first place. This medecation has changed my life. After 5 years of struggling in college I finally graduated, 1 year after starting adderall. I am proud of myself and proud of my work. Also, I no longer experience the anxiety that I always had before I started the medication. I would use caution while taking this medicine, because it can be easily abused. If you abuse it, you will not get the results that the medication is prescribed for. If you start taking it for the purpose that it is intended for, it can and will change your life.

Related Reading: adderall | anxiety

Comment from: Cat-mom, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 27

I have taken a low dose of adderall for about five years, and it has changed my life. My ability to think ahead, anticipate and avoid problems has dramatically improved. My abilty to articulate myself improves dramatically on adderal – especially with a low dose. I can understand the consequences of my actions with a clarity that I wish I had earlier in life J My over-all attention span has dramatically improved in the last five years – and it remains significantly higher even on days when I choose not to take adderall. To me, that is amazing. Tasks I once found painful, I can now do quickly an efficiently with patience and perfect detail – even off adderall. A large part of why I think I see a lot of improvement is not just the medication, but also all the other things I do to combat ADHD. When I need to learn something new (e.g. a software program at work) adderal helps me quickly learn and absorb the new information, and remember facts. It is a dramatic change from my past abilities. When I first started taking the drug, I had heart palpitations. It is definitely hard on the heart. BUT then I started to add regular, gentle but rigorous aerobic exercise to my routine (which, btw, is a non-prescription treatment for ADHD), my heart became stronger, more conditioned than before and the palpitations stopped. My resting hr is 45 bpm, and my blood pressure is ideal, or close to it. This also will solve any insomnia problems. I recommend this drug – FOR THE RIGHT PERSON. Fact is we are all built differently. Which is the whole reason why drugs like this are made in the first place. Depending on your peculiarities, it may not give you exactly what you need. That doesn’t mean this drug won’t be very helpful to someone else. I look forward to the day when these types of drugs can be prescribed and monitored more accurately.

Related Reading: palpitations | insomnia

Comment from: mindfocused, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 09

I am a 38 year old male. I have suffered my whole life with ADHD/ADD. I never knew or understood why I behaived the way I did, until my son showed the same symptoms and was diagnosed. I asked my doctor about my symptoms and he recommended a low 20mg a day dosage. I did not sleep for 3 days, I thought my heart would burst, but in three days, I read 4 books, all 400+ pages. At work, my productivity increased instantly. Instead of looking for the door, and at the clock, "bouncing off the walls" as my co-workers would tell me, I was focused, task orriented, and results driven. My district VP, who I have known for over 10 years, even called and asked me, why my team is doing so well. I have been on this drug for 6 months now, and it has helped me to change my life! I have my blood pressure checked regularly, I excercise more, because I can focus and not get bored out of my mind in 3 minutes, I eat better, because I can read labels and know what it is I am eating, because my mind is not changing thoughts every 2 seconds and I forget what the HELL I was reading to begin with, my wife LOVES ME, because I am focused when she talks to me and I can actually carry a conversation with her, because I can remember what she just said. And you know what else, I actually sat down and wrote this message in just a few minutes. I did not even get up, or even think about anything else, I did not have to stretch, scratch, move, fidget, adjust, look around, yawn, cough, or ANYTHING, because this drug helped me. I thanked my doctor, and I cried when I did, because I have awakened, my mind does not race, and after 38 years of life, my mind is clear.

Related Reading: cough

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 21

As an accomplished woman, I didn't know I had ADD until after middle age when increasing I couldn't complete tasks. Depression and loss of self esteem set in but once diagnosed and on medication I was able to slow down, concentrate and finish jobs. I never realized how my mind raced from subject to subject until I was on medication - 4 years now.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 20

It was a wonder for me! I had spent tons of money in medical bills and doctors visits only to realize that what I was battleing with was adult ADHD. This hadn't been as much of a problem for me when I was younger until my job had changed drastically and I lost my ability to focus. Work was terrible and my performance was slipping which made me seem deppressed. Once I started on the medication, it has been like I am a different person. I don't give up on tasks, I complete them, I listen to people when they talk to me,and overall I accomplish the goals I set forth each day. Thank God my doctor finally listened when others did not.

Related Reading: adult adhd

QUESTION

The abbreviated term ADHD denotes the condition commonly known as: See Answer
Comment from: Towlie, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 02

Here is the issue. ADHD Im diagnosed with by some phychiatrist. Other phychiatrist i have been evaluated by say i don't have it. They all have MD after there names so who is correct and who's incorrect??...I've been off and on adderall for 8 years. Im 28 years old. Yes it helps me concentrate. Yes, it helps motivate me. Yes, it even makes me feel better about myself...however adderall is extremly addictive, so thats the biggest issue with it. This is a med that is in high demand among society and can kill if it falls into the wrong persons hands. Drug users feel great euphoria and energy when they use it, simply put; thats why they use it. Prescription drug abuse is sky rocketing like never before. So parents keep that in mind.---SO-- The fact remains adderall helps a ton with certain people. If you plan to take it here are a few tips (not that im a dr.) 1)If you have a prior substance abuse problem, FORGET adderall 2)Take it exactly how directed by MD. 3)Keep it in a place thats secure, kids know ALL about adderall. 4)Keep an eye on your pulse, BP, and heart rate. The worst side effect i've expericed is becoming anxious on it. I am just trying to give a down to earth review, and i hope it helps some of you.

Related Reading: adderall | drug abuse

Comment from: Photographer, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 15

I am a successful nationally known professional advertising photographer who was on Adderall for about five years and then decided that I did not need it anymore because all of my old ADHD habits where mostly gone. I was off of them for about three months and all of those long gone adhd habits that had played havoc with my life started coming back one by one. Unpaid parking tickets, loosing my keys, rash decisions, unfinished project after unfinished project. Within six months I had almost lost my photography business that I had worked so hard for and had collections agencies after me etc. Wow what a bust to my ego! I guess I really do need to be on Adderall. It's as if when I am not on Adderall I know exactly what it is I need to do to keep my life running smooth...I put together my to do list but the to do list never gets completed. Yes I am a successful advertising photographer with lots of talent...but without the discipline and focus to apply that talent my world falls apart. I guess I just need to take it...it is what it is. I know there are lots of talented artists who take adderall...and I do not feel it makes me any less creative....or for that matter any more creative. How one little adderall XR pill makes the difference between being reasonably disciplined and totally irresponsible, however, is beyond me...but for me the reality is just that. I am now back on Adderall 20 MG XR and things are going great again. Hope this was helpful to any other artists out there who are struggling with the to medicate/not to medicate question. In my case the choice was made for me...I do not even think I would still be in business without this drug..no kidding.

Related Reading: adderall | rash

Comment from: mandyslayton, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 04

I have been taking adderall xr for almost 3 years now. It has changed my life for the better. I am a 35 year old female who my parents didn't believe in me taking drugs like this as a child.I knew I had issues in high school and I know for a fact had I been on this medication I would have done better in school and would have cared about going to college. I finally did something for myself when I turned 30 and went to a psychiatrist. It took a few different medications(concerta/vyvanse) before my Dr put me on Adderall. One made me so dizzy and one made my heart race. I can see getting addicted, but I knew with the way I live my life, I wouldn't have to worry. I had major issues staying focused and awake no matter how much sleep I would get. I would get bored easily or start a dozen different tasks and not get one completed. I had no time management. I started with 20mg and I take it in the am when I wake up at 6 am. It makes me want to do my job and not get stressed. I am much more organized. It keeps my life on track. I started getting headaches about 3 months in and just really tired again by 3 pm. When I went to my dr for a check up she decided to try a half of a 20mg of plain adderall at 2pm. It did the trick and I've been on this combination ever since and haven't had to change anything. I go to bed by 10:30 or 11 pm. I hardly ever have trouble sleeping. My heart doesn't race either. A plus for me was it helped lose the weight from having my daughter a few years prior. I gained 70lbs and wasn't worried about losing the last 30lbs but it was an added plus. I don't have such an appetite loss like I did when I first started. It helps me with portion control and I don't stuff my face like I used to before I started the medication. It also helps me have normal bowel movements and regular. I will tell you if I have to stay up later I do end up irritable and get quiet and just want to crash. That's about the only side effect I've experienced.

Related Reading: concerta | vyvanse

Comment from: brooke26, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 06

I have been taking Adderall for over about 17 years. Without this medication I would never have graduated high school, college, and be working on my second degree. Sometimes medication is the only option for those who try everything possible first. This drug is nothing to play with, it takes precise clock work, discipline and knowledge. You have to ensure you are keeping your body healthy when taking it. Yes, it does have side effects but yes it does work great for those who need this type of chemical balance. If you want to prevent the "rush" as some report, EAT first. Then, make sure you drink more than the minimum amount of water a day. I literally drink about 10 waters a day. Stay away from caffeine and make sure to NEVER take this med. at night unless you don't plan on sleeping, which is another thing to make sure you are getting enough of. A balanced diet, sleep, and overall life routine is important. I also wouldn't recommend you take it if you are going to a social event, because like me I'm not the socialist butterfly on it when I would normally talk an ear off. With proper care and balance this is the answer for most. It is my answer and I'm more than thankful I have gotten as far as I have and I am thankful for its creation. I hope this helps some and also to the mothers, when your child is on this med. it's best to leave them alone. They just want to focus and most likely won't want to eat. It's just how it made me and when they are "coming down" they will need something to pick them up..it's a horrible crash on the XR(extended release caps 8hr). I usually drink a soda or a coffee. Sometimes I will even take a 1/2 of my instant release(4 hr tabs) if I have school work still to help ease the crashing. Lots of water to prevent headaches and time the pills. I don't get the full 8 hours that some would, I'm about 4 hours and I begin to fade. My doctor has me prescribed 1 8hr cap in am(7am) and then by 12pm one 4hrtab, 4pm one 4hrtab. single mom so long day

Comment from: LIFECHANGED, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 24

When I researched Adderrall, the description of us who are prescribed it FIT ME TO A TEE. I now have so many answers to WHY I have behaved like I have ALL MY LIFE. My first episodes were in 4th grade. At 50+ years young I had no idea that I was "not normal". BUT it's ok. There were some adjustments that I had to make for the first couple months, but I trust my Doc. and after 14+ months of taking Amph salts I have discovered and accepted so many life changing traits/behaviors. Don't expect everyone to understand...you have to be here to know or be very trained as is my doctor. Many pharmacy personnel here in Florida have been very rude and upsetting when I fill my script every month. Mom and Pop type pharmacies have treated me very well, like they should! Listen to me, I have been to 15 to 18 PHARMACIES IN ONE DAY AT THE WALGREENS/TARGETS/CVS GOING HOME WITH NOTHING! I understand that inventories run out but the above mentioned pharmacies made me feel like a criminal 75% of the time. Please give your local Mom and Pops a chance, they are honestly hungry to serve you, NOT LIKE THE BIG CHAINS. Too bad I did not grow up around great doctors back in Oklahoma(my guess is great doctors don't want to live in dirty, ugly Okieville;sorry but it's true), I could have had a second bite at life's apple years earlier by growing up around understanding doctors. I now recognize reasons for past failures/behaviors and can see what to change. Adderrall is not a cure just an equalizer and when without it the old actions/behaviors return. Man I had a rough start by my situation being born but it's ok. Don't believe most everyone that says you are LAZY OR CRAZY...IT'S NOT TRUE. I just didn't know I that I was lacking attention. Thank you and God Bless you all.

Comment from: rmn, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 30

I am 41 years old, and have had the worst life ever, ever since I was younger, I have made millions of mistakes, many bad decisions, dropped out of school, never finished or accomplished anything, never got a degree, and now work as a waitress with 6 children to support, that 3 of the 6 all have different fathers. I had dislexia as a child, and when I was younger, if anyone in our family had a problem, it was to be kept a secret. I finally got help, and found out I have ADHD. I have been on this medication for 3 months now, and what a complete turnaround, talk about 360! I can focus more on important things, I even noticed a change in my driving, instead of running around like a chicken with its head cut off, I have slowed down and started enjoying things, and am much better at dealing with with problems instead of running away from them, I have also been writing a journal everyday, and remembering things alot better, and feel I am thinking before I open my mouth first. the only problem I have noticed lately, is that at night, I get a little edgy. other than that I love the fact that I feel like I am finally in control of all the racing things that used to go on in my head, and now I can sit back and relax for a change, and organize my priorities, whereas before I could not.

Comment from: TheDoc, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 04

As a Doctor myself, I have to stress that when it comes to Adderall in either the XR or IR forms, there is no grey area. There are those patients who do extremely well on this medication and others who were perhaps misdiagnosed or physiologically intolerant of the chemical makeup of the drug. The bottom line is: If you need it, it can work wonders. However, if you're one of those who doesn't truly suffer from ADD ADHD-Hyp, then you may gain some benefits, but you will also have more incidence of negative side-effects. My personal experience with the IR has been wonderful. Most everyone has the associated loss of appetite, and general "fidgety" feeling when starting treatment, but these do subside. However, they have a nasty habit of resurfacing later on in treatment. This usually accompanies an increase in dosage, but can pop up for seemingly no reason at all. The best advice I can give regarding treatment with amphet salts is: If you need it, then it can help tremendously. However, if you don't need it, you're better off with those awful energy drinks or a few cups of coffee. Hope this helps.

Related Reading: stress | adderall

Comment from: David7, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 12

I Have been taking this medication for a little over a year now. I was diagnosed with ADD as a child, but I not took the medication. I am 35 now and am a small business owner. I was making small, little stupid mistakes that I just easily overlooked. My Dr. started me off with 30mg twice a day. I have seen these reviews and have yet to see someone taking that much. I had all of the the effects for about a month and then they all eventually went away. The drug overall has improved my attention disorder and even made me more productive. It allowed all of my energy to be creative. I still use it today at the same dosage but I found it better for me to take 60mg in the morning and let it run its course through the day. If you do need to take it. Remember that every ones body responds differently to medication. I suggest to experiment the time gaps in the beginning and see what best responds to your body. You will become addicted to it after a while, no choice in that, but just use your months supply evenly. It has been a success and I researched this med.. I accept the cons of this medication, but for me "someone who really needs it" the pros weigh out the cons. it has made me more productive with my life and for my family responsibilities. If you "REALLY" are not diagnosed by a physician. Please remember that you will get a reverse effect and it will be equivalent to taking cocaine. But for those who need it it will have a reverse effect and make you more focused and in a clear state of mind, without the million things around you distracting you from your realistic goal. Good Luck and Be Wise! Parents, Be alert of your kid on this if applicable, it is becoming a known street DRUG for abuse. Thanks!

Related Reading: cocaine

ADHD Symptoms in Children See Slideshow
Comment from: Thankful, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 11

I came to this site today to review opinions between "Brand" and generic Adderrall and thought I should add my personal experience with this medication. I was diagnosed with depression 14 years ago and was prescribed Paxil. After six months of little change in my condition, I was prescribed Prozac and Xanax. Over the next few years, my conditioned worsened. I was eventually prescribed Ambien for insomnia, which was a huge mistake. I became addicted to Ambien, not for the sleep benefits but for the Utopian feeling it provided me. I would take it several times during the day, and quickly began running out of my prescriptions. This led to "Doc Shopping," and eventually I had three doctors writing me scripts every month. Long story short: my marriage fell apart, I couldn't hold a job and I reached a point where I didn't care whether I lived or died. Three years ago, I made an appt. with a young doctor at a university research facility. After describing my medical history and my current condition, he said he believed I suffered from adult ADD. He started me on 10 mg of Adderall daily. Within two months, I was completely off my depression meds (Cymbalta and Tofrenil) and had no desire whatsoever for the Ambien. I have now been taking 30 mg daily for the past year, and am experiencing no addictive drug behavior whatsoever. I was also a daily drinker, and now only drink 1-2 glasses of wine on the weekends. I have held a steady, professional-level job for over three years now, and my marriage has been restored. Through the grace of God, I was led to a doctor who literally saved my life. This amazing drug has helped make all the difference. If you have been diagnosed with depression and nothing seems to help, you may want to discuss this with your doctor.

Related Reading: depression | paxil | prozac

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 26

Freshman yr of college i was diagnosed with ADD, the Inattentive kind. My experience with Adderall has been a love/hate relationship. I started on 20mg in a.m. & 10mg in p.m. It gave me more energy, made me mentally sharper & I felt normal & happier since I was more able to communicate & think clearly. I was happy.. at first. Then I noticed I could stay up WAY late. Then I'd sleep in & miss the classes I'd finally begun thoroughly doing the work for. Also, friends pointed out Id become irritable & mean at times. I agreed but was upset because of all the good adderall was doing for me otherwise. The tablets wore off later in the day, causing my moods. My prescriber recommended a higher dose, I agreed & I liked it, I was focused on getting my stuff done. STILL, I was.. cold, emotions were distant. IMPORTANT: check before you start this if theres a history of addictions to substances like alchohol etc in your family as this can really be HABIT-FORMING, as in my case. Also, Adderall doesnt allow refills. This was prob when back from out of state college & I had insurance- coverage issues, which forced me to go off adderall. DIFFICULT. I was SO tired, moreso than EVER before. felt like a moody addict & sad & like doing NOTHING.2nd day with no Adderall in my system, woke up during the night & threw up. Horrible & bizarre. BE CAREFUL, listen to your body's signs if on it. Try keeping lowest dose possible. Off adderall, I still had a job to get & chores ETC when just functioning was a task. Gained back the weight i'd lost, plus a few. After that I felt better each day, but back to my spacey, scattered & anxious self again. Caffiene helped, in big amts. Insurance is fixed, I caved & am back on it. They say you'll feel like a different person. Maybe, I feel my old Adderall self returning, more focused but mean. My family has noticed. Mom said i'm not my old self. & I fear I'm becoming dependent again. Im taking lower doses & may switch to Dexedrine or Adderall XR. Think.

Related Reading: adderall

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 18

This drug has been a life saver for me. I am the typical ADD patient. My mind was racing in a hundred directions at once so I wasn't able to focus on anything. Addy helps me slow down and focus my brain enough to acutally complete the tasks I need to and to do it efficiently. Of course, in the beginning, I got a few side effects - dry mouth, appetite loss, diarrhea (dont take with coffee - TRUST ME), and some insomnia. I also found myself craving cigarettes for some odd reason. I found that if I ate a meal before taking it in the morning that it almost eliminated most of them. After a few months your body will get used to it. I DO recommend that if you don't need it on the weekends that you don't take it. That way, your body won't be as likely to get addicted to it. I've been taking it for 4 years and I LOVE IT.

Related Reading: dry mouth | diarrhea | insomnia

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 29

I am a college student diagnosed with ADD. I recently began a 2 a day dosage of Aderall 20 mg and it has changed my life. I actually go to class now, I don't have depression and suicidal thoughts, I am no longer socially anxious, and can actually pay attention to conversations and read books all the way through.

Comment from: addrulz, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 16

I was not able to focus, stay on tasks, my mind raced, etc. I was very iratated, anxious, no patience and not able to function like everyone else. I was extremely tired all the time. I would even suffer from depression and not know why. I was precribed Adderall and I am a totally different person now. I have been taking Adderall for over 2 yrs now and am able to function normally and am ready to go to sleep around 10pm everynite instead of having insomnia!!!

Comment from: adhdmom, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 03

My son and I both take AdderallXR for ADHD and have had great success with it. One of the benefits is that it is not jolting -- the effects ease in and when it wears off, it wears off gently. The greatest benefit, though, is that it took a much lower dosage to achieve the result that we got with Ritalin.

Related Reading: ritalin

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 26

It works, it really does. Unfortunately, I became HIGHLY ADDICTED to this medication. I am 21 and a university student and have been on adderall since i was 19. In just two years i developed a 100mg+ habit per day, ended up literally going crazy, cutting, attempting suicide, committed to a psychiatric hospital, and then drug and alcohol rehab. Since I kicked adderall, I have been just fine. Kids won't tell you anything is wrong, because it makes them feel so good they want it more. It severely disrupts eating habits (I lost 35lbs, and as a 5'2" female, that's a lot), sleeping habits, and overall mood. I also found a sharp decline in imagination and overall creativity. Irritability, dehydration, diarrhea, malnutrition, anemia, and withdrawals were part of my adderall use that was prescribed by a psychiatrist for ADHD. PLEASE, if you are a parent wondering if your kid should be on adderall (which is an amphetamine salt, which is the single purest form of SPEED), think again. Is it worth it in the long run? It is SPEED that you're messing with here- incredibly serious drug. There are many many more behavioral modifications that can be taught that are much more effective, and MUCH MUCH less detrimental to overall mental and physical health. NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Related Reading: adderall | suicide | dehydration

Comment from: Hopeful Engineering, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a 23 year old recent college graduate that has been taking Adderall Oral for the past 6 to 7 months. I was not diagnosed with ADD/ADHD until the start of my treatment. With this treatment I have noted some very distinct changes in my performance in college and now in my career. I am a Mechanical Engineer in NC. My focus at work seems to be increased but not over the top. I finally feel that I can start a project and follow it through to the end. Finishing the minute details that have plagued me in the past and that I have procrastinated with in the past. I feel that Adderall oral is an effective treatment for my condition. Although I strongly urge parents and students to take caution with using this treatment option. I have noticed a weekly to bi-weekly occurrence of limited sleep for one to two nights. This seems to typically happen on a Friday night and Sunday nights. As this has continued I feel that there are some other treatments that I should attempt before settling on this one. Also as I was diagnosed during my final semester of college with ADD/ADHD I noticed that I suddenly had more friends then the prior 5 years of college. So parents, students in college with go to extreme measures to acquire Adderall from your child. This is also becoming an increasing concern for college campuses across the nation. Like I said before, I believe, this medication should be taken consistently and you shouldn't miss many treatments. Missing treatments has made me extremely groggy and lazy. So caution to not taking it on the weekends. I have noticed that when I continued treatment for 7 days a week I didn't have the haze, groggy and lazy feeling. Also I reduce my dosage to half during the weekends. I hope this helps all in some manner.

Related Reading: adderall

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 12

I used this medication to help me stay focused. I was misdiagnosed with depression and once I started Adderall, I was able to complete all of my tasks at work. As a result, I was promoted from a Sr. Analyst to Supervisor and finally an IT Manager. Do all of the necessary evaluations and start off small. This is a powerful medication. Stay healthy my friends!

Related Reading: depression