Alesse

Comment from: Liz, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 23

Every birth control pill is different. Seriously. I have been on 3 different types of birth control pills and all three gave me different reactions. Everyone reacts differently to each different pill. I have researched horror stories on every pill that I've ever been on, and each time it's the same, "OH IT'S POISON!". Blah, blah, blah. This was really frustrating for me, as a woman, to try to figure out which pill would work for me. I started on Ortho Tri Cyclen-Lo which was new and expensive and supposedly the "best" birth conrol to be on. Not only was it expensive, I was very nauseated in the mornings. After a month, I switched to Tri-Sprintec which is the generic version of Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I was on it for about four months (because you need to give the bc pills at least a month) and I began getting horrible yeast infections and headaches. I was so upset, that I quit the pill altogether. However, after a broken condom, the morning after pill, and another horrible yeast infection due to the high dose of estrogen that Plan B uses, I decided I had to go back on the pill. I spoke with my provider and told her that I'm incredibly sensitive to estrogen, and that it gives me awful yeast infections. So she picked out Alesse which has a lower dose of progestin and estrogen. I have been on Alesse for a little while now, and I have to say, it is by far, THE BEST pill that I've ever been on. I had limited nausea and weight gain. (Sorry ladies, no matter what pill you're on, you're bound to gain weight). Just be healthy. Eat healthy and exercise. I haven't had a yeast infection since being on it and my migraines have not increased. So basically, I recommend this drug to women, like me, who are very sensitive to other birth control pills. It will not work for everyone, but it is most certainly working for me. All in all, A+.

Comment from: BlueSilverFox, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 20

I'm 20 and have been taking alesse for 8 months. It cleared up my skin, my sex drive has remained normal, it prevented any pregnancy, I attribute no weight gain to this drug, sugar pill week periods are lighter and I do not get as moody or as many cramps during that time. I haven't experience any personality change (which was a concerning side effect for me); I haven't become girlier, moodier or lethargic. All drugs affect people different due to differences in thier natrual body chemistry, regardless I would recommend this BC.

Related Reading: alesse | pregnancy

Comment from: miss megan, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 27

UPDATE: I've been on Alesse 28 for almost two years now, my previous review was in July 2014. For birth control, Alesse is still working well for me - I haven't had any side effects or weird symptoms, and sexual drive is still normal. For acne - now this is big! My acne has IMPROVED SO MUCH! My skin is clear and I just occasionally get one or two breakouts here and there during my period. However, my period is lighter now and starts a week earlier then it suppose to (suppose to come during my 'sugar' pill week) which seems a little irregular? Not sure. Another note: There was a time in between renewing my prescription where I didn't have my pills for 2 months, and my acne returned (unfortunately) and then when I started the pill again, I had a lot of hair loss - it wasn't in chunks or anything, but I was losing a lot of strands (more than normal) which made me reconsider renewing my next prescription. The only thing is that I love how my skin looks right now and I don't want to go back to having acne.

Related Reading: alesse | acne | hair loss

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 10

I have been on alesse on and off for the past 8 years to 10 years. Im 99% accurate on taking it everyday. Have never gotten pregnant, have regular periods, have gained a few lbs anytime I restarted it, never have had nausea. Only curiosity is if maybe it has decreased my sex drive, but that may just be something else. Every once in a blue moon I will have irregular bleeding. My only complaint is my periods still last between 6 and 8 days normally. Seems alittle long but if it keeps me from having a baby right now I'm good. =)

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 29

I was on Alesse for about 2 years. It was the best pill that I had ever been on. I went to the doctors for my yearly check up and she refilled my Alesse again, to come to find out that they no longer make it. The new generic for Alesse is Lutera. Lutera sucks!! If I could have Alesse again I would. It made me lose weight, although I did have bad breast tenderness. It was all in all a great pill for me!

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 26

I've been on this pill for 3 months now & this is the first birth control pill I've ever been on. Other people have been talking about weight gain & acne break outs, but I haven't experienced either of these. I've always had pretty clear skin, getting one or two pimples on my face here & there & this pill has not made a difference in this or made me have bad break outs or anything. I'm about 110 pounds & haven't gained any weight on it & I eat pretty much whatever I want & don't exercise very regularly either.. I haven't used any other method of birth control for the past 2 months & I haven't become pregnant so I'm confident it works well. I haven't had any mood changes or tiredness like some other people have mentioned either. In conclusion, I like this pill.. it does what it's supposed to & I have not noticed any negative side effects at all & I will continue to use it.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 29

I've been on it for almost a year. No side effect and the greatest thing besides not getting pregnant is the my periods are really short and light now.

Related Reading: getting pregnant

Comment from: Alesse1282398, 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 31

Just quit Alesse after 4 months. I tried to tough it out and give it time but it just wasn't working. I was always hungry (alwyas craved sweet stuff), then I would eat and feel constantly nautious and bloated. I had no energy and felt tired. Didn't really gain much weight, no more than 5 pounds. But that was mostly water weight in my boobs and hip/tummy area. My boobs went up a cup size but they were always super sore. I got bad mood swings. I was depressed and anxious often. I got lots of headaches, this pill also made my acne worse (cystic acne on my chin, chest and back), and much lower sex drive, was also dry down there often. After those I told myself to give it another month, so I started my fourth month pack, and after 10 days I quit, I got bad leg cramps, I was losing strands of hair and I had a lot of teeth plaque. This was all so weird to me because Alesse is "ultra low dose", but I was fed up so I decided to quit. It's been 3 days off of this pill and I can honestly say that my mood has improved tremendously. I have SO much energy now, I'm never tired anymore and I can finally eat without feeling so sick. I'm glad it works for some people but please consider the risks you could be taking with this pill.

Related Reading: alesse | acne | cystic acne

Comment from: ales, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 16

I'm 21 and I've been on Alesse for over 4 years now and I LOVE IT!! I haven't had any problems with it and I find that I have no cramps, clear skin, and I still have my sex drive.. I was reading these reviews and a lot of them are negative??? I was wondering if anyone likes the product as much as I do??

Comment from: shortjewels, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 09

This birth control has never made me sick and hasn't made me gain weight. I love it!

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 14

It all depends on the person. I started off on ortho tri cyclen lo and really liked it but it was too costly. I switched to Yaz and Yasmin, which were both a nightmare for me. I was a reck and very moody. Though they both cleared me skin nicely the mood swings were too much for me to handle. I have finally found a birth control that is affordable and effective, with very few side effects. So far I love it and would suggest it to others.

Related Reading: yaz | yasmin

Comment from: Gipoun, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 04

Still in "trial" mode. Other than loss of appetite and nausea it has been great.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 18

I used Alesse for almost a year and it worked but had one strange minor side effect. I would feel nauseous after I would drink coffee or eat peanut butter. Since I stopped taking it, the effects have stopped which is a pretty good indication that they had something to do with the medication.

Comment from: miss megan, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 09

This is the first birth control pill I've been on, and I have been on it for 3 months now. I haven't had any weight gain, or weight loss. However, I did gain one cup size. I have acne as well, but I don't think it has done anything for my acne, I still continue to get pimples. I was sexually active during the 2nd month of taking this pill and I didn't use any other form of contraceptive, and I still continued to get my period as according to my doctor, and the instructions that came with the prescription. During the 'sugar pills' that's exactly when my period starts.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 22

I am on the generic brand of alesse, called avaine. I have been on it for a month now. So far everything has been alright no side effects, except I have been extremely itchy. I have heard that some differnt kinds of BC can cause that, so I don't know if it is because of the avaine or something else. Has anyone else had this problem?

Related Reading: alesse

Choosing Your Birth Control Method See Slideshow
Published: January 05

I got pregnant with it twice, and once while I was nursing. No barrier protection, not effective even with daily dose. Not recommended for the use of birth control.

Comment from: CanadianGirl123, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 17

Alesse 28 is the first birth control pill my doctor prescribed and the only pill I have ever taken and is still currently taking. I chose to go on the pill because I believe it is best option and the most convenient for me to prevent pregnancy while regulating my period. My average period cycle is 36-39days and tends to be irregular than most. I have been on the pill for almost 2 weeks now and so far, so good. My body seem to have adjusted well to Alesse 28. The only side effects I experienced was very mild headaches, and nausea during the first 2 days of starting the pill. I also experienced a little breast tenderness during the first week. No mood swings, or weight gain/loss and my sex drive has remained the same. Overall, great birth control pill.

Related Reading: alesse | pregnancy

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 04

Alysena 21, been taking for about 2 years. Switched pills because I felt sick in the morning, boobs were always sore, zero sex drive, and minor depression. Plus side; clear skin, period same day every month, went from B cup to a C cup. Todays day 1 on Ortho 777 and the reviews aren't awesome so heres hoping I'm an exception :/

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: hugsnotdrugs, on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 03

I have been on Alysena 28 for just over one month now, my experience has been good so far. I have had a few side effects but they were minor. My skin broke out at first but quickly cleared up actually improved my skin greatly. I have had no weight gain, or moodiness with this drug. I have had minor spotting but nothing serious. Overall I am happy with this birth control however it effects everyone differently so keep that in mind.

Comment from: glitterhippy3, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 22

When I began using Alesse for birth control it made me feel really nauseated and dizzy. I thought that was just normal hormone adjustment. I do not recommend this drug for anyone. I had hair loss shortly after beginning this medication. The hair on the nape of my neck began to rapidly fall out and moved a couple inches up. This whole area is extremely smooth and has never grown back! It has been eight years. I STRONGLY do not recommend this medication.

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: karensquirrel, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been on constant supression (no periods) using both Alesse and the generic form for 6 years and it has made my life 100% better due to horrible period issues.

Comment from: Mayren, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 27

I've been taking alesse for 2 months now and I couldn't be happier with it. It gives me peace of mind and has proved to be very effective. It's a very small pill, so it's really easy to take. The only side effects I experienced were breast tenderness and a few mood swings. Nothing extreme, and I'm very happy with it!

Related Reading: alesse

Comment from: Julieta, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 25

I've was on Alesse for about 14 months until two weeks ago I decided to get off it. I'm 25, in a lo term relationship and felt st ease knowing I was taking some preventive ,erasures towards pregnancy. However, I just could not bare the side effects. I had migraines every other day(sometimes daily), my libido was lessened; I barely had any sex drive, my periods were very confusing and most of all- I was really emotional. I could not control my emotions while using this drug. It was coming in between my own personal life (relationships, work) and I couldn't take it any more. Since I've been off Alesse, I feel my spirits uplifted. I'm hornier than I ever was on the pill and my headaches reduced about 75%. I'm happy I'm off but I'm going to a clinic to maybe talk about another brand. I still want to protect myself but bottom line, Alesse did not work for me, health wise.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 14

Been on this Alysena for 1.5 years now, but am going to discontinue with the product. It's been great for clearing my acne and making my period regular. But my side effects have been gradually getting worse. Some bad side effects I've experienced include: menstrual cramps, headaches, mood changes, and depression. The headaches and depression in particular have been getting worse with the use of the product.

Related Reading: acne | menstrual cramps

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 06

Awwwful. Despite no change in diet or exercise, I've gained A LOT of weight. I'm normally a size 0-2 and after three months on these pills, I can barely squeeze into a size 6. Aside from packing on the pounds, they've made me constantly constipated and caused my mood/emotions to go completely out of whack. I've quit taking them and you couldn't pay me enough to go back on them. The cliche "bc doesn't make you gain weight, blah, blah, it must be a change in your diet/exercise" is complete bull.

QUESTION