Altabax

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 05

Actually had some serious burning while using this but tylenol was able to reduce the pain.

Related Reading: tylenol

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 28

Used this medicine for a staph infection. My dermatologist told me to use in nose twice a day. This medication is the only thing that works for me!!

Related Reading: staph infection

Comment from: treated, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 13

Please read: I have suffered from an infection on my face, started as a spot. I treated it with tea tree and aloe Vera. It subdued but wouldn't completely heal, then slowly got worse. I kept trying to home remedy. It came back with a vengeance and got bad and spread very quickly and aggressively.! Impetigo spread over half my face, the doctors were shocked at how bad it was. Half my face was oozing fluid and the itching was unbearable. I was prescribed in total 5 different cream medications and 3 types of strong oral antibiotics over 3 months. NOTHING even touched it. Which made the whole thing go on for over 5/6 months! I couldn't leave the house or see my friends it was so disgusting after 3 months. A hellish experience. My doctor finally said to try this cream, it is new (even though approved in 2007). YES, it burns like hell! For about 10 - 15 mins, but then it completely stops. You just want to scratch it off! But don't.. be strong. My serious infection immediately started to improve noticeably within an hour. Within 48 hours it was completely healed. Just a couple of reddish spots, which went within 4/5days completely. Completely back to normal in days. I thought I would be badly scarred for the rest of my life. I and the docs couldn't believe it! I have a couple of small and one larger, but nothing much at all considering how bad it was. God only knows how it would have turned out had this cream not existed! I have just been diagnosed with an itchy, slightly oozing infection again, but I didn't hang about this time.. itching started, I went straight to the doc to get this ordered again. Nothing else worked for my impetigo/infection. I even had swabs and blood tests, nothing showed up! I think many will wash it off because of the immediate unbearable itching/burning. But just let it do its thing. The sensation is the strong antibiotics fighting with the infection my GP said.. that is what you feel. The only thing that worked for me.

Related Reading: aloe | impetigo | burns

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 15

i was dx'd with impetigo. i used this ointment, which was $50 with insurance, for 2 days before seeking help again. not only did it not help, it made me nearly insane with the itching and burning. i was eventually called out bactrim oral antibiotics which by one day showed improvement.

Related Reading: impetigo | bactrim

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 11

I had MRSA and was told to put this ointment on the new infections as they appeared (Diagnosed by one on the hip, then three appeared on my leg) Using the ointment Stopped the three staph infections from boring a hole into my skin like the first one had. I have three tiny scars on my leg instead of a quarter sized crater thanks to this medicine. No side effects whatsoever.

Related Reading: mrsa | scars

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 06

I had impetigo and it cleared it up once diagnosed properly within five days. I could see results the first day I used it. No pain with use.

Published: November 25

I had to use this on my child who had a boil. While it is quite costly for an antibiotic ointment, it was quite effective, painless, and easily appliable.

Comment from: herbgal, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 07

WARNING: if you have serious itching/burning--please call your physician or pharmacist instead of waiting to see if your reactions will subside. This can make the difference between earlier successful healing than the embarrassing and unsightly sores. This is the first time I have been given Altabax. At this time, I have sores on about 25% of my face and had such serious itching and burning I wanted to tear the skin off my face. Unlucky for me, it was a holiday weekend and could only contact my pharmacist. Lucky for me, however, was that I had some Bactroban cream and oral Bactrim on hand from another skin infection--also on my face--less than 3 months ago. It has been almost a week and very little healing has taken place. My results will not be typical for most people--I am immuno-suppressed and am a very slow healed. In doctor's offices so much I forgot to ask for an Rx..but had MRSA in sinuses within the last 6 months. Please wish me luck--my son's wedding is in less than 3 weeks and my face looks like it was shot by a machine gun.

Related Reading: altabax | bactroban cream | bactrim

Comment from: cmaria, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 26

dx with impetigo on my neck, stung a little but made it clear up with in 5 days.

Related Reading: impetigo

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 17

Became effective within 24 hours.

Comment from: bethg, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 10

staph infection in nail

Related Reading: staph infection

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 27

I was diagnosed with a staph infection on my scalp. I was prescribed Altabax to apply to the wound twice a day. It was a dredful experience! It caused the area to itch uncontrollably, and then it burned badly. It actually worsened the wound. I immediatetly stopped using this product and warn others to beware!

Related Reading: altabax | itch

Comment from: Mickeylover97, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 08

This medicine made my impetigo burn really bad and seemed to make my condition worse than it already was.

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 07

Used as directed cleared up impetigo in 5 days.

Comment from: mizzindependent1973, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 05

I have not tried it yet but it was prescribed for scabies. I want to know has anyone else used it

Related Reading: scabies

Comment from: ncmom, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 08

My Dermatologist's PA applied Altabax to the 2nd degree burn on the top of my foot. At first, it burned but was told it would go away. Within 30 minutes, I experienced extreme pain, swelling, reddish, burning and piercing like a needle was going into the burn site along with nausea. I went back to my doctor's office, they wipe off the Altabax and applied hyro-perxoide to clean the burn site then ice for 1hr. I have been home now for 4 hrs and the piercing pain is still happening. My reason for going to the doctor was to make sure that I didn't get an infection. Now I am worst than I was before I went to the doctor!!!

Comment from: ? , 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 25

Ihad no improvment at all.

Comment from: beebee06, 0-2 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 26

i should probably wait a few days before reviewing but i just wanted to say that my son was dx'd with folliculitis in his genitals and this stuff burned the crap out of him. he screamed for 10 minutes straight. im not sure if that was suppose to happen or what. but i was wondering if anyone else had that effect or know if it is suppose to do that....

Related Reading: folliculitis

Comment from: Altabax, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 08

This was for infection where the skin doctor scraped for a biopsy. It was horrible....was up most of the night with the ear hurting and pounding. I would like my $50 back....not a good ointment.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 26

I have an abscess in my ear, and I am 36 weeks pregnant. This medicine burned a little when I first used it, but it seems to be working fine the pain is definetely going awsay.

8 First Aid Kit Essentials for Scrapes, Cuts, Bug Bites, and More in Pictures See Slideshow
Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 20

I have some kind of skin infection but my doctor hasn't determined what it is yet. She prescribed this to me and I used this for 4 days and on the fourth night, I felt a lot of burning and itching.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 14

so far so good only been using it for 3 days

Comment from: ttt, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 26

I must have put too much on the first couple of times. I had blistering & ozzing. Now I'm treating a burn around my mouth.(day 8)

Comment from: jra girl, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 25

i had a bacterial skin infection all over my torso and this was the only thing that made it go away!! it's expensive and thick to apply but it works!!! i had no burning or stinging at all.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 01

i had an infection on my lips. my dr gave me samples to use, even tho directions say not to use on lips. i tried it and it caused my lips to feel like someone was poking pins in them--very uncomfortable and had to take ibuprofen to relieve pain.

Related Reading: ibuprofen