Altace Capsules

Comment from: DIANE, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 22

I HAVE A TERRIBLE DRY COUGH THAT I CANT GET RID OF - ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM

Related Reading: cough

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 22

Altace 2.5 About two hours after I take it,I have indigestion so bad that I have to take two or three Rolaids and an extra strentgh tylenol to get thru an 8 hour day at work. I have been on Cardizem 180 mg, Exforge,5/160mg,Altace 2.5, Enalapril Maleate 20mg, Fluoxetine HCL 20mg, Altace 5mg, back to Altace 2.5,and Clonazepam 0.5. I feel sick all the time. I have hot flashes and chills while I am on Altace. Is this normal side effects?

Related Reading: altace | indigestion | tylenol

Comment from: Ziggy, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 19

It brought my blood pressure down to a normal level but the nagging dry cough irritated my throat and chest.

Related Reading: cough

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 30

I have been using Altace for a few years. It worked on bringing my BP down to a safe level. I was at the low end of high. After reading the other reviews, I now believe that the itching I have on my lower legs may be a side effect. I take a Zyrtec once every 4-5 days and stops the itching. I also have the dry cough mostly at night. I also have decreased sexual desire(I'm 43) but I don't see this mentioned in any other reviews so I can't say gthat it has anything to do with Altace. I think I'm going to talk with my doctor and try something else to see if the side effects will go away.

Related Reading: zyrtec

Comment from: pricillawy, 75 or over on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 18

My insurance recently stopped paying part of my altace. I was given ramipril as a generic. swelling of tongue, very bad cough, became so hoarse that I could hardly talk, very dry mouth and throat, while with the altace I only had the occasional dry cough at night. So now I am back on altace with no side effects but occasional cough... /so now I spend my time figuring out how I can pay for the altace on social security.. My heart specialist wants me on altace but my question is "have the insurance companies become doctors"

Related Reading: altace | ramipril | dry mouth

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 28

I have been on Altace for about two years. I started with 5 mg. and was increased to 10 mg. Overall, it has been very effective in lowering my blood pressure. However, I too have itchy skin which has not yet been attributed to Altace. However the treatment I receive for the itchiness has not eliminated this condition. I will ask my doctor if this is a side-effect of this drug. Thank You very much.

Comment from: cjmcp, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 02

Taking Altace for 2 weeks. Lowered my BP, along with Coreg, Calan and Diovan but I developed a constant dry cough and phlem, all day and all night. Annoying to my co-workers. Annoying to me.

Related Reading: coreg | calan | diovan

Comment from: cag, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 02

This is wonderful! I was on another BP medication and I felt tired and gained weight. I switched to Altace in February and have lost the 14 pounds I gained, my energy is back and most important. My blood pressure is 120/80. I take 5 mg. once a day (before bed). I feel great!

Comment from: sanpablokid, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 07

I often have dry, itchy skin and did not associate it with Altace until reading the attached reviews. I wil speak with my Doctor.

Related Reading: altace

Comment from: nurse with htn, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 24

After one year of use I noticed that I had a lot of joint pain, back and neck pain to the point that I had to use a heating pad everyday and ice to my left knee (had arthroscopy 3 years ago). It got so bad that I had an MRI and went to PT before I found out accidently that my joint pain went away on the day I forgot to take my BP meds. I had to have my PMD change my meds. Also, I had a decrease in energy and took a lot of naps on the weekends. Low level of energy, didn't want to do much. Seems these are common but not well known side effects. I had to do some research to find this out. Interesting! I just thought it was menapause! It was not!

Related Reading: neck pain

Comment from: uncle phil, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 29

i have been taking altace for nearly 20 yrs with no problems.had to switch to a geniric didn't work.went back to altace.

Related Reading: altace

Comment from: cae, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 09

I started with 5 mg taken daily for blood pressure in the 150/100 range. I was one of the 10% that developed a chronic cough and chest tightness from the coughing. As Altace was working on regulating my blood pressure, I tolerated the cough knowing I had a follow-up appointment with my doctor in about ten days. I then developed intense joint pain primarily in my ankles and wrists but not limited to these areas. I went to the doctor four days before my 3 week review after starting this medication. The doctor was unaware of joint pain as a symptom but changed my medication. After three days, my cough has lessened but my joint pain is still severe and is only made tolerable by frequent ibuprofen tablets. I highly recommend contacting your doctor immediately if you start to cough as the prolonged joint pain isn't worth taking a chance on!

Related Reading: cough | ibuprofen

Comment from: Neo, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 08

Altace caused a terrible Eczema type rash which gradually worsened until it became unbearable...

Related Reading: eczema | rash

Comment from: XTrust_No1X, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 04

This medication has been easy to use, and has done wonders for my high blood pressure. Although it does have a few minoor side effects, like coughing(dry) and my skin itches. Other than that, I am very pleased with the drug.

Related Reading: high blood pressure

Published: July 23

Ok so I am rating this for my hubby, who has taken Altace for several years, however, in the last year or so, he has had multiple sinus infections, unproductive coughing spasms which almost result in vomiting. Has anyone else had this adverse reaction to this drug after being on it for a few years?

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 14

Tiredness, Dry cough, Leg muscle ache, temple ache on and off, sometime blurred vision (cloudy flashers). Did lower the BP to 130/78 so works.

Comment from: HJ, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 29

Been taking this for 2 weeks so its efficacy is still in question. I will know more in a month. The side effects have been miserable,,,extreme dizziness and some flashing pain in my right temple from time to time. Will give it another week and if the dizziness does not end it will be time to find a new drug for my hypertension.

Related Reading: dizziness

How to Lower Blood Pressure: Exercise Tips See Slideshow
Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 29

I had taken altace in the past with no problems and had quit taking it.My Dr put me back on it but when I had the prescripton filled, the pharmacy gave me the generic.The constant coughing is very irritating. I have to assure everyone that I do not have anything contagious but that the cough is the result of my BP med. Could it be that I do not have this side effect with the brand name but do with the generic?

Related Reading: altace | cough

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 15

my only complaint is a dry cough especially in the am.

Comment from: VAL, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 06

ALTACE WORKS BETTER FOR ME THAN ANY OTHER HBP MED. IT SEEMS TO STAY IN MY BODY LONGER AND WORK BETTER THAN OTHERS. MY BP IS LOWERED WITH JUST ONE PILL AND IT LASTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS

Related Reading: altace

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 28

The Altace lowered my blood pressure substatially and had no obvious side effects except one. I suddenly had severe reactions to lobster. A well regarded allergist did testing on me and concluded that the Altace brought about a secondary allergy to that particular food. it has happened numerous times and only to lobster. I've decided to forego this favored treat

Related Reading: altace | allergy

Comment from: altace, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 09

My doctor recently took me off Altace due to cough for 9 months. She acted a though this was a common complaint, Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have taken med for over 6 yr with no problem.

Comment from: Doug, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 16

I have been on altace, and Norvasc for over 1 year now and went from 200/140 to 120/80 this is good combo., I have had some side effects, mostly off and on Dry cough, can be stopped with use of Halls Centers cough drops, but must be patient when starting treatment it takes time, as My dr. said bp must be dropped steadly and slowly if dropped to fast that can be harmful, expecially to your kidneys, I went from on dr, who was not treating right and trying to lower my to fast to the dr, i am with now who used Norvasc and altace, I know what can happen when lower to fast, I suffered from Acute Kidney shutdown, when it was lower to fast, took 36 hrs to recover and now has 1 to 2 pecent kidney damage, but with the use of altace and norvasc, and a Doctor that now knows what he is doing, he has controled my bp and no further problems, but have to yearly for blood and urine tests, it works just takes time.

Related Reading: norvasc

Comment from: MiMi, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 10

I have been on this drug for 3 years for prevention of kidney disease from diabetes. I think it has helped, although my diabetes is basically under control. My blood pressure has always been low normal and remains so with the altace. I'm a happy camper right now.

Related Reading: prevention | diabetes

Comment from: manuela, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 27

makes me cough (dry cough) at any time of the day, specially at night. I need to have a bottle of water handy or cough lazenges.