Amaryl

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 21

Weight gain, hypocycemic problems, severe fatigue, rapid heart beat.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 27

I like the ease of taking pill once a day. It works great following a good diet and it keeps my blood sugar in the good zone 95% of the time. I find that I am my worse enemy by not always eating right. I did not have any weight gain. I am 57 and have been using Amayrl for over 5 years, it has been a life saver for me.

Comment from: dpl49, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 28

Caused severe weight gain. MD did not even know that this was a side effect. We have to be our own advocate.

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 01

quickly got my blood sugar under control...a few issues with low blood sugar, but nothing that can not be controled

Related Reading: low blood sugar

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 01

When I first began this medication, I found quite effective, but if I took in the morning, I had problems with my blood sugar dropping very low. That has seemed to gotten better over the last few months. Very recently, I am now having moderate to bad stomachaches every day that I take it. The effectiveness is also not as good as it was in the beginning.

Comment from: Bebob, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: February 25

I have used this drug for 5 years, however, lately it is not as effective as usual after evening meals. Blood sugar has become 175 at bed time.

Comment from: Rowdy Rod, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 22

Amaryl works for me..(Along with 1000 milograms of glucophage...) My numbers are usually 110 to 120 in the a.m. 100 in the p.m.. My main gripe is I've gained 10 pounds!!! (I'm 240 pounds right now!) If anyone could recommend another medication (help!!) Rod

Related Reading: amaryl | glucophage

Comment from: Mosc, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 30

I was on Metformin for many years and eventually it was becoming ineffective and I was suffering from severe nausea and diarrhea almost constantly. Switched to a Glemiperide and blood sugar is normal and no abdominal complications. At least for me this is almost a miracle drug.

Related Reading: metformin | diarrhea

Comment from: holly, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 11

Started taking 1 mg each morning, blood sugar dropped too low in afternoon, advised by Dr to take 1/2mg in morning and 1/2mg evening still not working as well. Blood sugar is high before breakfast even taking medication. Did not know about weight gain. Will have to address this issue. Still not sure what to do about this medication!!!

Comment from: Tee, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 09

Weight gain, experienced some hair loss. Doctor claimed it wasn't from Amaryl, I know it was the only new drug I was on at the time my hair became thinner.

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: Rebecca, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 07

Severe weight gain.. was taken Actos also and it didnt help with my weight either..so far all the medications given to me the glimepiride has help somewhat but it does help to retain fluid weight severely..now they are talking about putting back on the Lantus along with Glimepiride daily...

Related Reading: actos | glimepiride | lantus

Comment from: Bernie, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 30

I took on 4mg pill and the nexted morning my blood sugar was down to 29 I almost didn't make. After a day and half in the hospital still could not control by low blood sugar had to give me prednisone to get my pancreas working again. I spent a total of 41/2 days in the hospital and now have to take insulin.

Related Reading: low blood sugar | prednisone

Comment from: Ken, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 31

Works great with Avandamet! Quickly brought my blood sugar under control. Some hypoglycemic reactions however. It's awesome!

Related Reading: avandamet

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 10

Lost 15 pounds since starting drug (combined with diet and exercise), droped suger 25 plus points, itch only after using tanning booth. 1 mg dose rate.

Related Reading: itch

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 15

This medication has controlled my sugar, however, one of the doctors Ihave recently seen suggests that Ishould not continue the medication and switch to insulin,I am not happy about this. He is stating that this 2mg Glimepiride causes damage to the pancreatic cells. What is your opinion?

Related Reading: glimepiride

Comment from: missdee77, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 16

I tried many differant medicines, including insulin to treat my diebetes, as well as Dieting & Exercise, nothing brought my blood sugar down untill I was prescribed this medicine. It is working VERY well for me and I have had NO side effects, & I am someone who is sensitive to medications. If your blood sugar is elevated, and diet & exercise are not bringing it down, I highly recommend this medicine.

Comment from: Josie, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 19

Started this medication 2 weeks ago. So far it is great, but like everyone else, my sugar drops FAST! I will have to eat on schedule and see how that does, as I usually just eat when hungry. I can see why you have weight gain. You have to eat all the time. My sugars were 200+, but now they are around 130. So far, I have not gained anything, but I am walking around 2.5 miles a day. Hopefully with a schedule and walking this pill will be what works!

Comment from: iowamike, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 30

It took about 1-1/2 weeks to shows signs of improvement but has been very effective since. I take 2mg a day and I also take 1000mg metformin.

Related Reading: metformin

Comment from: butlersbaby, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 13

This drug has done wonders for me. I have not felt well for four months now but this med seems to make me feel better than I have in a long time. My count has went from 225 to 120 since on this pill. Yeah!

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 05

Have tried Metformin, Metformin with delayed release, and Januvia. Had awful diarehha with Metformin, and Januvia had no effect at all. The has worked great so far. Keeping fingers crossed. :)

Related Reading: metformin | januvia

Comment from: Alleen35, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 18

My numbers were lower, but after two weeks I developed a rash and a severe itch.

Related Reading: rash

Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication See Slideshow
Comment from: frustrated51, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 14

Started on 2 mg / day about 2 to 3 weeks ago and had to adjust down to 1 mg due to MANY hypo's. a1c is down from 8.2 to 6.6 over the last two months since starting in late December originally on glipizide for glucose control. Have discovered that once taken in the morning WITH food as instructed, pancreas goes into 'make insulin like crazy and pump into system irregardless mode' of constant carb intake (or not). Seems I BETTER NOT slowdown on carbs AT ALL (as opposed to trying to LOWER carbs..I HAVE TO keep them coming in or i'll end up with a hypo)! This means constant glucose test test test much more than doc prescribed of 4 times a day into upwards of 6 and that taxes the testing supplies wayyyyyyyy too much. Although having 'better' results because of knowing what to expect with glimeperide as opposed to glipizide XL which hits like a nuke but waits and waits until it hits, I would love suggestions and help finding a glucose control med that doesn't have to be monitored THIS MUCH so I don't go hypo so easily. I thought the idea is to REDUCE carb and sugar intake NOT have to drink sugary juices and the like throughout the day and hit the glucose tablets twice to three times a day when the meter drops near or just below 70 almost on a regular basis seems around mid afternoon to early eve depleting the testing supplies wayyy too rapidly to 'keep up' with the med's over-effectiveness (even at my 1 mg level) throughout the day. The warnings on side effects are dead-on especially on the beta-blocker masking some of the hypo's oncoming symptoms since I am also on two high-blood meds which are working just fine. All of these lows have initiated GAD which I have to watch for onset when a hypo hits now and have had to be placed on ativan for that! This 'eat eat eat' and then juice juice juice WITH test test test is REDICULOUS. Help would be greatly appreciated opinion-wise. Thanx VERY Much !

Related Reading: glipizide | ativan

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 23

extreme weight gain 12 pounds in one week.

Comment from: bgal4u, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 28

I have used this drug for 13 months. I started out with 2 (2mg) tablets taken in the am with Janumet/1000 twice a day. The hypoglycemic episodes were terrifying. My endocrinologist reduced the dosage to 1mg or 1/2 tablet in the morning. I still have episodes of low blood sugar in the early afternoon.(50-70) I usually can feel the low sugar coming on. I then have to eat to get my sugar up, which can cause weight gain or the inability to lose weight. I have not gained any weight although I am unable to lose weight due to the hypoglocemic episodes and the need to eat to raise my sugar. I have noticed an improvement with 1mg vs. 4mg, but I have to monitor my sugar readings closely. I manage to keep my A1c around 6.5 to 6.9. Carbohydrates are not my friend. I try to stick to proteins and veggies.

Related Reading: janumet | low blood sugar

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 09

very easy to take , find it seems to do well in controlling sugars,do not seem to have any problems with side effects at all,had a A1C after 14 months and the results were 6.3 so seems to work for me,this is the only med I take --1 time a day with largest meal of the day