Ambien CR

Comment from: girlinterrupted, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 01

In the past I have used Ambien 5mg and when my tolerance went up, 10mg. I used the 10mg dose for several years in college and afterward with great success. After a brief period with no sleep medications I was prescribed Ambien CR 12.5mg. This medicine works great, IF you follow your doctors instructions. Takind it on an empty stomach works best, and you must take it literally right before bed. The initial dose released peaks at 15 minutes. Then the delayed release slowly absorbs into your bloodstream over the next 4-6 hours. You should NEVER talk on the phone, be on the computer, watch television, or be in the kitchen eating after taking this med. For it to work properly, you need to take it, hop in the bed, and turn the lights off immedately. This drug gets a bad name for "sleep-driving", binge-eating, and memory loss because people take it improperly. If you take it every night, one or two out of seven nights it may be less effective. No drug is fool-proof. Especially for those who suffer from anxiety and racing thoughts. I apologize for the length of my comment, but I feel it is important to get the proper info. out there. I know how hard it can be to function after multiple sleepless nights. (Tonight is one) I hope this helps some of you out there. GOODNIGHT!

Related Reading: ambien | ambien cr | anxiety

Comment from: SHer, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 29

I've taken Ambien Cr for 4 months. It worked well in the beginning. Now its awful. I have memory loss, which is affecting my work, It takes forever to fall asleep, I wake up a few times during the night and I'm always up very early in the morning...still feeling tired. Mood swings. I freak out if my prescription starts to get low and I'm afraid I can't get to the pharmacy to get it refilled. I hate this stuff. DON'T TAKE IT ! Now I just want to get off of it and you can't stop cold or the symptoms or worse than staying on it.

Related Reading: ambien cr

Published: September 09

Have someone tie you to the bed. This med puts you out. However, I did drive, go to the doctor and then woke up at noon at my desk at work. This was even after I had taken it for a while. While I appeared alert and communicated, I have no memory of any interactions. (this was the next day) At night if you do not go straight to bed, you will stay up chatting and acting drunk. Do NOT take this med alone. Make sure you have someone else has your keys and can make sure you are capable of driving. (Although everyone thought I was okay, and I still drove with no memory) Just be careful and take extra precautions

Comment from: LendyLou, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 06

This stuff has been a godsend for me. I go to sleep quickly, wake up refreshed and ready to face the day. I have not had the side effects that others have mentioned. I hope this is always available and the FDA doesn't ruin it for the people it truly works for.

Comment from: Sundance, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 07

I have taken Ambien CR (Zolpidem)12.5 mg for about two years now. I can't go to sleep or stay asleep very long, so when I found this it was a blessing, it is so wonderful to get an unerupted nights sleep, usually 6 to 8 hours. The bonus is no side effects. Other sleep enhancers would leave me feeling horrible the next morning, with Ambien, I can wake and feel good. My only worry was long time use, my doctor doesn't seem concerned as long as it's working for me, which it is. It was good to read that others have used it long term as well. Here's to a good nights sleep~

Related Reading: zolpidem

Comment from: bjlytle, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 23

I have been taking Ambien CR 12.5 mg for almost two years. It works in 15 to 30 minutes and I get about seven hours sleep. I don't dream and when I wake up in the morning its as if someone snapped their fingers and I'm awake. Very unnatural feeling.

Comment from: MMurray, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 02

I was put on the generic form of Ambien CR and it works well, BUT I've become angry, sad,depressed, lazy, lethargic, moody, and sometimes down right mean on this during the day after! I have to stop taking this and suffer through a few nights of not sleeping in order to find something else. I cannot carry on this way. My husband says I'm a completely different person since starting this 3 weeks ago. It works great in putting me asleep and allowing me to sleep all night, but be VERY CAREFUL this stuff is habit forming AND changes who you are as a person!

Comment from: Steph, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 23

First of all, stop taking it EVERY NIGHT. Secondly, take on an EMPTY stomach. I only take mine when I've tallied up 8 hours in tow days, AND I need to get some real, REM sleep to relax my mind and body. I have taken 2 at one time. That was because I really needed to sleep and not be interrupted for ANY reason, i.e. bathroom, cell phone beeps. I have no memory loss. I don't work or drive my car every day. No little kids, pets or adults in my house.

Comment from: Long-time No Sleep, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 10

I have been taking Ambien for a very long time. I started off with the smallest dose and eventually got to where I was taking twice the recommended dose. It became increasingly difficult to fall asleep. I was not really doing what the instructions said so I can understand why it was not working as expected. After 10 years or so on it, the medication stopped working and I was awake at three in the morning eating and watching television with no memory. Because I was taking so much it was bleeding over into the day and I was having trouble staying motivated at work. It took two weeks for me to get it out of my system. I now will only take it when I really need to sleep and cannot.

Related Reading: ambien

Comment from: jrb1950, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 22

I have had chronic sleep issues for years and was put on Ambien way back; didn't stay asleep. Then was give 12.5 mg Ambien CR; most people say to take it right before going to sleep and not to read, watch TV, etc. I have been on it so long that I now have to take it 1 hour before I go to bed before I even feel sleepy. Then because I go to bed early, 9 p.m., I am awake anywhere between 2:30 and 4:30 a.m. and usually can't get back to sleep. Sometimes I will be able to go back into a light sleep, like catnaps, and I finally give up and get out of bed at 6:30 because I hurt too much to stay in bed. I have next day drowsiness, headache, joint pain and muscle pain; but suppose it could be related to other issues besides the Ambien CR. I am now thinking of asking my doctor if she thinks Lunesta would be better as I have read it's supposed to be better for long term use over Ambien CR. I just know I'm afraid to stop taking anything as I will go back to insomnia and that's not good for your mental or physical health. Sorry this is so long, but just wanted to talk and let everyone know what I've been going through in case anyone else has had the same issues.

Related Reading: ambien cr | headache | lunesta

Comment from: want 2livevegas, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 15

been on it for 2yrs every night, complete memory loss, in the last 2 ys=rs cought sleepwalking, cooking, online and have evn woken up right in the middle of an activivty I had started. so I go right to bed after taking it. This medication is POWERFUL and EFFECTIVE, and i think some of the longer effects are aggressive behavior and forgetfullnes of minor things, take at own risk.

Related Reading: sleepwalking

Comment from: sleepless, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 01

I originally took this medication because of trouble sleeping when away from home. Then next thing I know I am taking it every night. At first it works, and now I only get 5 hours of sleep. If I don't take it I can't sleep. I am going to get off this crap and exercise. Sometimes it makes me feel out of control. I am having trouble remembering things and being very forgetful.

Comment from: wwjd67846, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 19

I have been on AmbienCR 12.5 mg for over a month.Love it.Can go to sleep fast and stay asleep. No problem getting up in am.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 08

When stopping this drug, .625mg, I had lots of horrible side effects, hallucinations, nightmares that did not end after awakening. I will never take it again. I have tried this drug on 3 seperate occsions and the results are the same. I think this is a very bad risky drug.

Related Reading: nightmares

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: February 14

Ambien CR 12.5 - When I first took this I hated it because I was sleeping for 10 hours and waking extremely hungover - groggy, loss of memory, telephone converstions that I didn't remember. I stopped taking it after about a week. After stopping I did not sleep for two nights but then returned to my "normal sleep" pattern which was very light sleep and not feeling rested in the morning. After about 10 months I decided to try the medication again. To my surprise I slept well and the side effects were much less. I have found that as I continue to take the medication its effectiveness has lessened, but I still get a solid 6 hours of sleep. To a much lesser degree, I have still had some memory problems with this drug but overall it has helped me get a restful nights sleep.

Comment from: no sleepless in Calif., 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 08

Was told by my PCP to take 12.5 mg's it worked so well I cut it down to 6.25 mg's and still have no problems sleeping and feel great in the a.m. And yes it works very quickly. Normal ambian wasn't working as well and like others I found myself awake after about 2-3 hrs. Sweet dreams all

QUESTION

What is insomnia? See Answer
Comment from: Stealth, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 21

I have been on this medicine for years without any side affects. In has continue working.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 26

I've been taking the 12.5 Ambien CR for 3 years & the Zolpidem (generic) for 1 year. No dreams at all with Ambien, but dreams every night with Zolpidem. Also, Ambien gave me 6 hours of sleep & Zolpidem is only 4. After waking up in the middle of the night, I can still fall back to sleep with either one. This drug has been a lifesaver for me. NO SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL.

Related Reading: ambien cr | zolpidem | ambien

Comment from: heyyou, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 29

I certainly sleep well with this medication but the side effects are CRAZY!!!!! Hallucinations, memory loss, dry mouth, sleep walking. Especially aggression. Sometimes I get so angry I'm afraid of what I might do, and then not remember. Anyone else relate????

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: Cangel, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 09

when I was in my early teens to early adult age 23 I had problems with sleeping. It went away okay for the past couple months I have tried tylenol PM, advil PM, benedryl, until I talked to my doctor. She put me on Ristoril 50 mg still did not work, then another doctor in the office put me on trazodone 50 mg, still nothing would help me go to sleep and stay asleep. Last Monday my doctor put me on Ambien an that did nothing. So Yesterday my doctor gave me Ambien CR, I took it at 9:45 and by 10pm I was asleep and only woke up once during the night and I went right back to sleep. I have not had no side affects like others have and I would recommend this to anyone having trouble sleeping.

Related Reading: teens | tylenol | trazodone

Comment from: jellybean, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 23

I have been using this drug for two months now. Originally it worked great, but recently I have trouble falling asleep. I have also become quite groggy and sleepy during the day. I can't seem to stay awake the next day which results in my not being able to go to bed until quite late. One vicious cycle. Side effect?

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 20

My 15 year old daughter was given ambien to help her get sleep as she has an anxiety disorder. She started with the lowest dose. She ended up in the hospital er due to bad reaction to drug such as chest pains, hypervenilation and hallucinations. I would never recommend this product.

Related Reading: ambien | anxiety

Comment from: Britches, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 24

I had never taken a sleeping pill before so I was a little nervous. I took it as directed and it was as if I had not been "drugged". It was perfect. I dozed off to sleep within a helf hour after taking it at about 11 and woke up at 6 the next morning. Never felt anything weird. If it's possible, I actually felt refreshed (unlike benadryl and other PM stuff I have tried)

Related Reading: benadryl

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 18

weight gain

Comment from: LaBruja, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 31

I TYPE IN CAPS FOR EASE OF READING,I'M NOT "SHOUTING". I ALSO HAD SOME VERY DISTURBING SIDE EFFECTS TAKING THIS MEDICATION & AM RELIEVED TO KNOW I'M NOT ALONE. I ALSO HAVE DRIVEN,WENT TO GROCERY STORE PURCHASED $200.00 OF FOOD INCLUDING A LOT OF SWEETS & TURKEY W/ ALL SIDES,PROCEEDED TO PREPARE THE HUGE MEAL THROUGH OUT THE NIGHT.IT ALSO KICKED MY LIBIDO INTO(VERY)HIGH LEAVING MY SPOUSE DEHYDRATED. MANICALLY HOUSE CLEANING AND HAVING LITTLE OR NO MEMORY OF DOING THESE THINGS WAS TERRIFYING,HUMILIATING & SCARY,I'M SO VERY LUCKY I DIDN'T HURT SOMEONE ELSE OR MYSELF.MY HUSBAND WAS GOING TO TAKE TOO AN E.R. FOR AN EMERGENCY EVAL. NEEDLESS TO SAY WE FLUSHED THE REMAINING PILLS & THANKED GOD FOR KEEPING ME SAFE.NOW THERES LOTS OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THESE HORRIBLE SIDE AFFECTS TELLING THEIR STORIES. IT'S LIKE BEING A ZOMBIE SINCE IT'S IN A CLASS CALLED HYPNOTICS(IF MEMORY SERVES CORRECTLY)I'D RATHER TAKE BENEDRYL,VALIUM OR ANYTHING BUT THAT NOW. THIS WAS ABOUT 12 YRS. AGO WHEN EVERY MINUTE OF SLEEP WAS PRECIOUS & NEEDED TO TAKE CARE OF OUR YOUNG FAMILY AS BEING SLEEP DEPRIVED IS A H*&& ALL IT'S OWN! THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCES W/ THIS MEDICATION EVERYONE,NOW I KNOW I WASN'T ALONE,I REALLY FELT LIKE I WAS LOSING MY MIND OR HAVING THE EARLY STAGES OF A MENTAL ILLNESS NOT JUST A WORN OUT PARENT TRYING TO COPE W/ LIFE LIKE EVERY OTHER HUMAN. NOW WE JUST KEEP LOOKING FORWARD & TELL OTHERS OUR STORY IF THIS DRUGS MENTIONED HOPING TO CIRCUMVENT MORE TRAGEDY.

Related Reading: valium | mental illness