Amitiza

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 15

This medicine worked for the first three days and then stopped. After the fifth day I started getting very sad, depressed and eventually suicidal. I've never had a medicine do this before, it's very scary.

Comment from: sarosata steve65-71on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 17

As a Type 1 diabetic with GI autonomic neuropathy and gastroparesis, I have been on Amitiza 8mcg for over 2 years. It is the only medication which gives me relief, but it takes several hours after ingestion to effect a movement. It is difficult to leave the house until that happens. The cost of the medication is outrageous and my insurance stopped covering any of the cost. Also, it is not approved for males at the 8mcg dose. Linzess side effects were worse which is why I was switched to Amitiza. For me, the 24mcg dose would be too much. Not sure what to do in the future, as few doctors handle diabetic neuropathy of the GI system. I have been a type 1 diabetic for 28 years and I don't expect my symptoms to improve on their own without medication.

Related Reading: gastroparesis | amitiza | linzess

Comment from: Lighthousegirl35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 16

I've been on this medication for 2 months. After reading all reviews and experiencing side effects, I'm going to stop taking it. I have following side effects: difficulty breathing, chest tightness, gas, insomnia, mood swings. Side effects not worth the benefit of this medication (it's hasn't been effective for me at all).

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: Suzanne Bailey35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 18

I read a lot of these reviews and I am sorry for those it does not work for. After only my second dose I had a great bowel movement! Most I have done in months. Before only have 1 bowel movement a week and now having 1 daily! I have no side effects yet and my insurance must be good because my copay is only $30. I am a happy camper!

Comment from: Silent Wolf35-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: October 22

My doctor gave me 24mcg samples for OIC and the resulting anal fissures. We tried daily, but it worked TOO well, if you catch my drift. We switched to every other day and that's working well.

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 19

works well in spurts. makes intestinal track always moist and expels mucous. not comfortable. still have to use other laxatives and they seem to work less since use of this drug.

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 16

I'll keep this short. Horrific Nausea. OMG!!!

Comment from: OPBMC55-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: May 29

My IBS-C symptoms are not as severe as many reviews that I have read. I do not have any pain associated with my diagnosis and my constipation could be handled with OTC remedies. My issue is with severe bloating and the Amitiza does not effectively relieve these symptoms. I started at 8mcg per meal, now I'm regularly at 24mcg per meal and still no relief from the bloating. Even knowing what my trigger foods are I can't avoid all of them because they're the most healthy foods to eat.

Related Reading: constipation | amitiza

Comment from: John 45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 12

I’ve tried EVERYTHING for IBS-C and either the medication caused diarrhea or didn’t work at all. I keep track of my water intake, I exercise, and watch what I eat, too. This drug is a total game changer. I take the small dose twice per day (and I’m a 210 lb guy) and it works perfectly. Normal BM 2-3 times per day, no more bloating, no more gas, and no side effects (for me, at least). Seriously, the only downside is the enormous price.

Comment from: Jz 65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 24

Still drinking smooth move tea while on the med. Random results. Still days between BM. Terrible swelling and excruciating pain in hands and feet. Was on med and quit when I was in so much pain and not eating. When I was up, moving and eating for 2 days and no BM, I started the med. after 3 days it started all over. NO MORE. Not worth the agony.

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: February 13

THE MORE WATER I DRINK THE BETTER IT WORKS. I ALSO DRINK 2-4 OZ. OF PRUNE JUICE WITH EACH DOSE WHICH MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE

Comment from: In pain45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: December 22

I was put on the 24mg dosage and after 3-4 hours of being uncomfortable, I had a good b.m. I thought this was going to be great until about an hour later. I had diarrhea 9 times during the day and could not leave my house because a few times I almost didn't make it the 12 steps to the bathroom. I tried it again a few days later and it was a repeat of the first day. I was switched to 8mg and for 3 days it was great, but then it didn't work. I now use the 24 when I feel so bad I cannot go another day. I always plan to do nothing for 24 hours!

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 17

I wasn't having BM for at least 14 days. Went on the meds and now I have severe diarrhea every day. I go at least 5 times a day. Want to be taken off this!

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: Shira35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 19

I have been using this for two weeks and feel like hell!! I have severe nausea depression and terrible headaches and for the ibs and constipation it barely help!!!

Related Reading: depression | constipation

Comment from: cvdixon2935-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: October 24

At first it worked great, then it seemed to almost stop working. However, I believe it just takes time for your body to get use to it. It took a while for it work well. So Far it's working great! I'm very please. I go almost daily now instead of once per week! I feel better.

Comment from: Relief091745-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 14

Started on Saturday morning and had the expected diarrhea all weekend. I stabilized throughout the following week and found great relief from pain, bloating, and constipation. However, I feel the effectiveness has worn off a little and I plan to focus on upping my intake of water and fiber. On the negative side, I am more irritable than usual and my heart arrhythmia has flared up. So, I'll work on lowering caffeine intake and see if that helps. Amitiza has provided much relief and I plan to continue with it.

Related Reading: diarrhea | constipation | arrhythmia

Comment from: Shamia 45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 05

I have had issues with my bowels all my life and was told to eat more fiber, drink water and nothing worked. My doctor told me to eat fiber and exercise still nothing. I had a colposcopy done and they found nothing but a small hernia but nothing to worry about. I went to my family doctor and she gave me some sample of amitiza and I was fearful because nothing else worked for me. I took 24gram as directed with food morning and after lunch I can assure you about 40 min later I was pooping. I was so excited!!!!!!! I have lost so many inches around my waist is scary. I was going to call my doctor and tell her I m losing or lost belly fat but too embarrassed I love this drug, one side effect was the dizziness when taking it on a half full stomach but I give this all hands up

Related Reading: hernia | amitiza | dizziness

QUESTION

You are constipated if you don't have a bowel movement every day. See Answer