Anafranil

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 31

Suffer from severe OCD with anxiety and depression. Early on, the side effects of this medication were difficult to deal with - dry mouth, unbelievable appetite, sweating and sexual dysfunction. Over time, side effects diminished along with the symptoms. Currently, I am 18 years symptom-free and have been off the drug for the last 12!

Related Reading: anxiety | depression | dry mouth

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 02

OCD, fear of not making it to the washroom to empty my bladder. Since taking this drug now for 10 years I haven't had an episode.

Comment from: jenae88, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 06

This is the best medication I have ever took I have a skin picking disorder and I barely pick now I am so happy

Comment from: Rome52, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 31

This medicine has worked excellent for me for years for both obsessive compulsive disorder and depression.

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 03

To manage side effects I had to start at low dosis until my body got used. I have to sleep my hours to avoid sleepiness in day; I have to watch my weight, and exercise. I started to feel the real effects after taking the medicine for more than three months; I think that it made the full effect after six months. You must be patient to feel the liberating effects of Anafranil

Related Reading: anafranil

Comment from: BMP7272, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 20

I was diagnosed with OCD when I was 7 yrs old. I was on several medications including zoloft and prozac. They would work for a while but they usually made me sick. Anafranil was absolutely wonderful after the few weeks it takes to build up in your system. Even if you feel better never stop this medicine on your own. I made that mistake as a teenager and the OCD usually comes back full throttle.

Related Reading: zoloft | prozac

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 06

I started taking this medicine at the mid range dose about a month ago and I noticed better sleep patterns and less obsessive behavoir. I even lost weight as I tend to be a comfort eater when stresed. That being said. the first week I had terrible dizziness and my sensitivty to alcohol was exponentially increased(a half glass of wine made me faint). The only persistent side effect has been severe constipation; the worst of my life. I'm going to give it another month and then switch if this doesn't go away.

Related Reading: constipation

Comment from: a true believer, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 29

This drug has been on the market for several years, I started taking it in 1989. It is a wonder drug as far as OCD drugs go. There is no other BETTER DRUG OUT THERE FOR OCD!!! It is a miracle drug. I took it starting at age 9 and quit taking it at age 20 when I got pregnant with my 1st daughter . I didnt need the medication anymore after that, not sure why but I have been free from ocd for years and I no longer take any meds, however this is the one and only best drug for OCD!!! : )

Comment from: StaceyAmber, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 08

I have a terrible time with counting and checking things and I have found this works great. I had to give it time to work. I have been on it for two months now and I am very happy. I have had some side effects i.e. sweating, weight gain about 15 lbs, and twitching, But I would rather sweat, twitch and be a little heavier than COUNT and CHECK everything in my house before I left. Give it time it works!!! You will feel better. Watch your eating habits and get exercise. Happy Journey!!

Comment from: mizzabbigail, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 21

minus a quick moment when we realized that when the dose was too low i was lots worse and that a certain dose was too high this medication has worked amazingly for me quickly reducing my anxiety and both obsessions and compulsions.i was very happy to finally find a med that worked for me.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 09

within days I no longer check things all the time like if my doors are locked, if my wallet is in my purse, repeatedly checking my work at the office 5-6 times over and over again. It is effective on half the starting dose for me and I am 105 lbs.

Comment from: ProjektRaCat, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 05

Took this medicine for 3 weeks when I was 16. I quit because the side effects were too much to handle. Just started taking it again a week ago. I haven't had any panic attacks or any OCD issues, however, my hands have been very shakey, my pupils have been dilated, I'm very fatigued, and keep getting headaches. I also spent one morning dry heaving. I'm going to give it a bit more time, but stay on the lowest dose to see if the side effects go away. It works... you just have to be able to tolerate the side effects.

Related Reading: panic attacks

Comment from: suziehistory412p, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 06

I have trouble sleeping as I have major clinical depression, panic/anxiety disorder, and OCD. I took Benadryl but it only sedated me and I had night terrors. Anafranil at bedtime works like a charm. I think my other meds keep the side effects at bay.

Related Reading: depression | benadryl | anafranil

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 16

I haven't seen much reduction in my OCD problems, but every time I sneeze, I have an orgasm! And it's allergy season! My doc says 5% of patients experience this side effect- but no one ever talks about it. I LOVE it! I will NEVER give up this drug!

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: MDS, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 14

The side effects are driving me crazy. I have uncontrollable muscle twitches, am groggy, nauseated, and dry mouth. Will give it 3 more weeks to see if things change.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: Oli, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 29

Improved OCD and depression significantly. I take 150mg. Can you guys tell me how much you take??

Comment from: Nick, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 01

A much more effective drug for OCD than Zoloft or Luvox. Also great for minor aches and pains associated with depression.

Related Reading: zoloft | luvox

Comment from: ocdgirl, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 19

When I first began taking Anafranil, I got really sick. I stuck with it, and it is the only drug that helps me with my severe OCD. The only side effect has been immense weight gain. I never had a weight problem until I started taking this drug.

Comment from: --, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 28

level of OCD has not lessened at all

QUESTION

Depression is a(n) __________ . See Answer
Comment from: naner, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 15

I had to quit this drug because of urinary retention. I landed up in the ER needing to be catheterized. I don't think it is a common effect but it happened to me. I really loved this product too. It was really helping me sleep.

Related Reading: urinary retention

Comment from: BlueHedgehog, 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 04

I took Anafranil to treat anxiety and phobias, and the side effects were too much for me to handle. I became very agitated and aggressive while on it. My friends nick-named it "The Devil Drug" because I acted so unlike myself while on it. I nearly attacked a kid at school with a math text book for making a bad pun, and almost went after the drama teacher with my scissors for messing up a costume I made. Considering that I have never even gotten near getting in a fight my whole life, I think it is safe to say it was the medication. Apparently this is a common side effect for pediatric patients--it sure drove me nuts.

Related Reading: anafranil | anxiety | phobias

Comment from: Rose Muise, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 06

This nmed stopped 90-95% of my obsessive thoughts! The down fall is I have gained 40 pounds! I so need advice for what I can do to lose the weight. Nothing is working!

Comment from: maciain3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

Have taken intermittently for over 30 years. Always works superbly but takes about 8 weeks to be effective and side effects can be quite brutal. But well worth the wait.

Comment from: 35-44 (Patient) Published: January 22

works well on my o.c.d.

Comment from: satisfied, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 16

i've been taking anafrinal for 3 months and is is helping me overcome some of my ocd . when i take a calcium and 2 potassium tablets with supper meal i don't have leg cramps or numbness in my leegs . also i am sleeping better now. i hope this information helps someone. i'm taking 25 mg. and may have to increase to 50 mg. according to my dr.to help more with the ocd. i'm so happy that this medicine is helping me.,