Aranesp

Comment from: emt winnie, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: October 05

My father has been taking this medical since March of this year and we have seen that his red blood count has come up a little. He feels a little better not as sleepy

Comment from: pas05, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 03

My Mom was on this medication for a little over a year for MDS. It worked first six months but in the last six to eight, it didn't have any effect on her Hgb count even tho they kept raising the doses. Shortly after a 500 dose she died within 3 days. Hard to say if the injection was the fault or not as Mom had other health problems also.

Comment from: [email protected], on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 18

I get the injections once a month as I have CML. I stayed tired, lack of energy, and my red cells aren't going up. When I was given 3 pints of blood, I felt great, energetic, didn't feel tired after doing a single task. I didn't need to sit and rest after just doing dishes. With the injections given to me at my oncologists office, I find I am more tired each day, no strength, totally drained. If busy on one day, the next I end up sleeping most of the day. I feel the injection isn't helping me, and the fact that I was anemic prior to being put on chemo pills for my leukemia, that I have Conjestive heart failure and retaining of fluids, that it's not treating the anemia or making the red cells increase. Mine stay below normal on a constant basis.

Related Reading: leukemia | heart failure | anemia

Comment from: Ande, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 22

I feel so much better a few days after my shot. I can tell when i need one because I get very tired .

Comment from: hilger123, Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 17

Very effective,great feeling of well being lots of energy ,

Comment from: BJ, Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 26

Lost R kidney to CA - few years later - depressed by Constant fatigue - poor appetite - nephrologist put me on Aransep shots as lack of R blood cells - HGB - below between 10 & 11 After 1 yr & 1/2 stabilized in the 12s Fantastic difference in my total wellbeing. Depression when lower than 12 is, very depressing! (Pun)

Related Reading: fatigue | depression

Comment from: MARIE, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 19

I HAD ONE SHOT OF THIS MED. AND I FEEL TERRIBLE I FEEL LIKE I HAVE HAD THE FLU FOR THE LAST 2 WEEKS. SHOULD RETURN TO TAKING THE EPOGEM THAT I HAVE TAKEN FOR MORE THAN 5 YEARS WITH OUT ANY PROBLEMS? THANK YOU, MARIE

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: Annandale MN, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 24

Shots given regularly at first, now intermittently. Feel out of it the first couple days following, but then better.

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 22

I have my blood drawn every two weeks with a standing order. My doctor keeps me between 11 and 12 g/dl. Currently I am taking 40 mcl (?)every 16 to 28 days injections. After my blood is drawn it is reviewed at the doctor's office and if it falls below, like 11.1, I receive a telephone call to come in for the shot.

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 06

shots barely maintain red cell levels from one session to the next. using to defer transfusions as long as possible. currently (7) weeks since last trans.

Published: January 08

too many of the side effects. Mucle cramps and nausea.

Comment from: Amethyst, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 02

I have MDS. I take the injections every 2 weeks. The dosage is 200mcg. It elevates my blood count and I feel so much better for several days. I have more energy. I wish that I could monitor my blood count in the same way that a diabetic is able to do at home. I don't think I would be able to keep working if I did not have the Aranesp because I get so tired without it. I do have some aching in my bones for a day or two after each dose, but it is minor compared to the problem of fatigue.

Related Reading: aranesp

Comment from: destined, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 23

I actually just had my first shot a week ago and am supposed to have another in 2 weeks; however, I feel so doggone tired, I may look for something alternative and mention to my doctor I'd rather not take it again. My hemoglobin has pretty much been a consistent issue even before chemo, so I'm thinking it's probably because of recent surgery & radiation that it fell lower. I keep praying that God will give me strength! I wish the same for you all.

Comment from: cotton46124, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 28

no opinion yet

Comment from: leoneskie, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 04

Is this stuff really made from killed e-coli virus and grown in Chinese hamster ovaries? Based on FDA warning and origin, this drug was refused by patient.

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 20

After 6 bi-weekly injections due to kidney problems, doctor canceled the injections and my red blood count has dropped 12 points during the next 2 weeks

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 07

weekly injections at the hemotology and oncology clinic to keep my red blood cell production up.

Comment from: ellie-kay, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 12

seem to have more energy

Comment from: mandj, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 13

Father (88 yrs old) has aplastic anemia. Has been on aranesp a few months now. Started at 60mcg...now up to 200mcg twice a month. Working well keeping up the red blood cell count. Before, he needed transfusion every six weeks... now it's already been almost 20 weeks since the last transfusion.

Related Reading: anemia | aranesp

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 27

I have just received this shot Friday, & already hate it! I was good Friday, then on Saturday I woke up wit a massive migraine that I still have & it's now Sunday. I've taking migraine meds & nothing seems to work. I'm still very tired. I need to take this or since my iron is so low I would need a blood transfusion & I'm not doing that! This shot was my only choice. Luckily, I only need it every 2 weeks.

Comment from: 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 27

Three years bi-weekly injections have NOT improved WBC, RBC or hemoglobin. I intend to discontinue injections. Family physician says if I do not see improvement, discontine. Very expensive snake oil. Thank you. R. Smith

Comment from: Tonya, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 25

My husband has Myelofibrosis. It is a rare kind of leukemia. He is given this to help with the cancer anemia. It has helped his HGB stay above the level of transfusion. Transfusions are part of this cancer's progression.

Related Reading: leukemia | cancer

Comment from: wmlvng234, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 07

I think I feel a little better.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 27

just wondering if this drug will cause orange color in bowels

Comment from: Califcurley, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 31

Just had shot 3 of 4. so far so good.

QUESTION

Sickle cell disease is named after a farming tool. See Answer