Aricept

Comment from: saadiekate, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 29

My 92 year old Mother is in a nursing home, one of her health issues is dementia which is slowly getting worse. The doctor prescribed 10 mg.Aricept. Mom had been on the drug for a week and each day I saw her I could see the changes taking place. She was more confused than ever before, forgetting her everyday routine, wanting to go to bed 3 pm in the afternoon, weak the list goes on. This was a frightening experience to see what aricept was doing to her. I immediately had her taken off aricept. Now I am waiting till it gets out of her system. The side effects of this drug were worse that the condition she is being treated for. My advice to all caregivers, research the medications, if you have a concern of any kind regarding your loved ones condition please ask questions of doctors, research on webmd. Do not give up.

Related Reading: dementia | aricept

Comment from: kykaren, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 05

I experienced very unpleasant side effect for only one week. I believe that Aricept is a miracle drug for me. I was diagnosed with an alzheimer's type mild dementia in 2001. Taking the Aricept I was able to work until 2004, and now I am on disability. I believe that Aricept has slowed the progression of my condition to the point that I am still able to care for myself, including driving and living alone. It might not work quite like this for everyone, but any productive time it can give a person is very much welcomed. I can honestly recommend Aricept to anyone with this type of dementia. But please allow enough time to get past the initial side effects.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 16

I wanted to correct something I wrote yesterday. I meant to write Aricept 23mg, not Aricept 5 or 10mg, was dangerous. My Mother has been on Aricept 10 since 2006 and never had any problems with that one, no side effects at all. I didn't see much as far as it slowing the progression really, but it was okay for her to take. Aricept 23 however, had very severe side effects, as I mentioned above. I would not recommend anyone try that one. It was very severe in just 3 days, she was almost like a vegetable and I thought we might lose her soon, which is why the doctor took her off of it immediately and put her back on the Aricept 10, and just overnight she was back to who she was just before taking the Aricept 23, which was a whole lot better. Be cautious before trying Aricept 23. My mother will be 83 on New Years Day. Also, to those people who mentioned vivid dreams and hallucinations, mood swings, yelling, screaming and so on, that is all part of the illness itself, not so much the medication. There are a lot of books out on the subject of Alzheimer's and the different stages and it explains it all in great detail. The book I would reccomend is called: Coach Broyles' Playbook for Alzheimer's Caregivers. You can call The Alzheimer's Association at 800-272-3900 for a copy of it or go to, Playbook on the Web: www.alzheimersplaybook.com. That is the one I have and it is great, it explains everything. Be prepared though, some of it is very unpleasant, but at the same time very helpful in preparing you a head of time. My Mother probably had Alzheimer's for a while before she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2006, which is why the medication isn't that much of a help, like it probably would be to people who are caught in the very early stages, but she didn't start with the dreams and hallucinations until about 2yrs ago. I hope this helps people to understand the disease vs. the medication better. God Bless everyone involved,caregivers and patients.

Comment from: dancindawn, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 02

My 90 yr old grandmother has multi-infarct dementia r/t stroke. She has been on Aricept with good cognitive results, but had to discontinue use because of the side effect of excessive tiredness/sleepiness during the day. I have seen a definite decline in her cognitive response after the d/c of this drug. I have taken care of many other geriatrics in long term care with this med therapy, with varied results. Drug does not work as well for people with severe dementia, but noticible increases in cognitive levels for people with mild to moderate dementia. I am a healthcare employee with 18 years working with dementia patients. Thank you.

Related Reading: stroke

Comment from: George, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 31

My father began taking Aricept on 3/11/09. Very positive results became apparent after about 3 weeks. Good memory returned, cognitive skills returned, confusion disappeared. He has returned to his normal self that he was five years ago. He is nearly 99 years old and has returned to doing projects around the house such as repairing and painting things. He is amazing, and I attribute it to the Aricept. He was going downhill fast previously. He began treatment with 5 mg daily for 3 weeks to watch for side affects. He began taking it 8 a.m daily, but we changed it to 8 p.m as he had slight dizziness. Also had minor soft stool, which went back to normal after one week. Dizziness stopped after giving dosage before bedtime. He went to 10mg daily, beginning after 3 weeks of 5mg. He takes 5mg at 8 a.m. and the other 5mg at 8 p.m. He has never had any dizziness after the first week of treatment. His appetite is excellent and he has no nausea. I recommend Aricept to others, and they have had positive results, though not quite as quickly as my Dad has. It has been nearly 5 months since Dad began treatment and we still see continued improvement.

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: nblapaz, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 21

My Mother 83yrs has been on this drug for 3 years. Yes, the first few months was up and down especially for her stomach. Now she is doing well on it but can not take it with her vitamins or it makes her stomach up set. She takes it in the morning which is easier for her to remember to take each day then at night. As for its effectiveness I must state her memory is not getting worse and she is able to function mostly on her own. I wait for a drug out there that will actually reverse the memory loss but for now she will remain on Donepezil HCL the generic of Aricept.

Related Reading: vitamins | donepezil | aricept

Comment from: on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 05

I am the caregiver of a 80 year old neighbor who has been given this stuff on three different admissions to the same hospital. Each time has not been good - the first time he was given it we asked that he not be given it again, but they do not seem to listen to us-he has delusions, sees things, is very hostile, has no short term memory at all. This is scary stuff. Yesterday I went to visit him at the hospital and they were ready to restraint him-he woke up not knowing where he was at or what they were doing to him, does not remember how he got there at all. I AGAIN asked for them to not give him this stuff as the Dr there was telling us that he needed to go into a nursing home because of his condition HIS CODITION WAS CAUSED BY THEM GIVING HIM THIS STUFF. What a joke.

Comment from: DAMESEAN, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 14

MY MOM IS 74 YEARS OLD. HER DOCTOR PUT HER ON ARICEPT TO HELP WITH HER DIMENTIA. SHE WAS ON THE MEDICINE FOR 2 DAYS AND BEGAN TO SLEEP LATER AND LATER EACH DAY. SHE WOULD TELL ME SHE FELT FUNNY AND SOMETHING WAS WRONG. I TOLD HER SHE JUST NEEDED TO GET USED TO THE NEW MEDICINE. SHE WAS ON IT FOR A TOTAL OF 9 DAYS. SHE WAS COMPLETELY MOBILE AND SELF SUFFICIENT BEFORE ARICEPT. AFTER THE 9 DAYS ON ARICEPT SHE WAS UNABLE TO WALK OR TO FEED HERSELF. ONE DAY IT WAS 2PM AND SHE WAS STILL SLEEPING. I HAD HER TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL BECAUSE SHE HAD URINATED ALL OVER HERSELF AND DID NOT KNOW WHERE SHE WAS. THIS WAS ALL AFTER SHE HAD BEEN OFF ARICEPT FOR 7 DAYS. I KEPT TELLING HER TO LET THE MEDICINE GET OUT OF HER SYSTEM. AT THE HOSPITAL THEY DID NOT KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG. SHE SPENT 7 DAYS IN HOSPITAL THEN 3 WKS IN REHAB AND NOW SHE IS FULLY FUNCTIONING AND BACK TO HER BASELINE. SHE WILL NEVER BE GIVEN THIS DRUG AGAIN. I THINK FOR SOME PEOPLE IT CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 29

My husband was prescribed Aricept back in November and it's improved his memory/confusion... I noticed in about 2 weeks that he wasn't as confused and had better recall. I know it's not a cure but it helps and it's very obvious right now.

Comment from: led, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 24

This DRUG is on the market for monetary profit for the drug reps, physicians, & pharmacist. My father was put on this drug by a doctor unnecessarily. He was a very intelligent person and very mobile for 8l years old. After being on this drug for about 3-4 weeks, he bacame immobile, weak, stopped eating and had to be hospitalized. Eventually, this drug helped along with another one led to his death. Please be very aware of any and all side effects of this drug if you or love ones are taking this drug.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 04

I have been on the sample package for 5 weeks. The 5 mg. went well, but ater I started the 10 mg. I had terrible nightmares, preassure in my head & ears. muscle cramps, dizziness, nausea and weakness. I want to get off this!

Related Reading: nightmares | muscle cramps | dizziness

Comment from: BettLady, 75 or over on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 01

My husband has been on aricept for 3 years. He continues to decline. He has lost aboout 30 pounds. He is constantly dizzy. As a result he spends almost all of his time in bed and asleep. He can not enjoy life because he is so weak and dizzy. I (his wife) am very frustrated and sad. Our neurologist feels he is not declining and should continue the treatment. What next?

Related Reading: aricept

Comment from: Games02, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 08

My mom is 79 and is starting the first phase of dementia/alzheimers having it now for about 9 months. In the last 6 months she has been slowly getting worse in her short term memory and consistently repeating her stories and happenings. Her doctor felt that Aricept would help her regain some of her memory or at least slow down the progression. WRONG WRONG!! Within 2 days she was totally not herself, no short term memory at all, Nausea, Vommiting. She couldnt remember anything!! She only took it for 2 days and i was horrible!! Never again!!

Related Reading: dementia

Comment from: sandyvan, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 01

The negative reaction I had to tis was bowel loosness and frequency. I take an OTC anti medication. My memory has increased back to before I had a problem. Cognitive is still not good.

Comment from: Carolyn, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 09

I have had sever tremors ever sinse in legs and hips. I'm now in a wheel chair.Not sure if this is the cause. I woke up one morning could not walk.????

Related Reading: tremors

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 19

I am 59yrs. old female. I have been taking aricept for 3 wks., it has made me ill,sick to stomach,dizzy all the time,headache all day,severe muscel pain,deppression, not feeling like me ,felling like i am losing my mind, confussed,off balance, a cloudy mind. nothing good about this medication.....I'm off aricept(BAD STUFF)

Related Reading: aricept | headache

Comment from: etc, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 03

Very severe nightmares at night, yelling, screaming out

Related Reading: nightmares

Comment from: No More!, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 22

My dad went to Dr for checkup on Tuesday; gave him newly prescribed Aricept 5mg on Thursday; then disaster with him on Friday as he could not function, then disoriented totally; lost bladder control; only to end up being hospitalized on Sunday for a bad urinary tract infection!!!! I will not allow him any more Aricept.

Related Reading: aricept | urinary tract infection

Comment from: Getting old sucks but only one alternati, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 11

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION, and PLEASE DO NOT RECOMMEND IT FOR ANYONE!!! I am 70 years old, and was prescribed Aricept for a very poor memory.(I didn't even have any other symptoms, just a bad memory)! After 30 days the Dr. increased my dose to 10 Mg. (from 5 Mg.). I HAD BEEN LOSING WEIGHT BECAUSE I NEEDED TO. But it coincided with this new prescription of Aricept. Well, I lost my appetite, and lost 40 pounds in about 33 days, BUT the weight I lost was in mostly "MUSCLE"! I became VERY WEAK, short of breath, losing my Balance, and I even FELL 3 TIMES!(I've NEVER been "CLUMSY", but I AM NOW!- I TOLD MY DR. that I was going to stop taking it IMMEDIATELY! Notice: I'm sure my loss of weight made my reaction to this Med. much WORSE, However if you or an older friend or member of your family is even "close" to being FRAIL, THIS MED COULD MAKE THEM HAVE NO APPETITE, AND THEY COULD GET WEAKER AND WEAKER and WITH "TREMORS"!!! It could possibly make them want to just "GIVE UP"!!! When an elderly person says: I just don't have an appetite, they stop taking in lifes FUEL, and we cannot LIVE without FUEL.

Related Reading: tremors

Comment from: berm, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 14

what would happen to a person who was prescribed aricept, had been taken it for about 2-4years, now you realize she did not have alzheimers, what cognitive abuse would have happened to that patient. now that she is not taking aricept, pt is more alert, joins in on conversations and responds appropriately. just remains incontinent,was not incont before taking drug

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 07

My 59 year old mother was diagnosed wit frontal temporal lobe dementia 2 years ago and was placed on this medication. While the medication is small and easy to swallow and easy to follow a dosing schedule it does not appear to have had any effect on my mom's mental health. It was only after a couple of weeks on the medication that the hallucinations started and disrupted speech pattern. This medication is expensive and am not sure if it is really doing anything

Related Reading: dementia | mental health

Comment from: Cat, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 15

My father is 80, took Aricept 5mg for 1 month then increased to 10 mg. No good news, he started hallucinating the first week i.e. seeing dirt falling from the ceiling. Sweeping the floor to remove piles that were not there. He became very aggressive and angry when no one else saw it. The doctor asked us to discontine the use of Aricept.

Related Reading: aricept

Comment from: MFMUPS23, 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 26

My father took 5 mg to start off. I was willing to try anything to help with the dementia. the first day i noticed zombie type behavior. i assumed it was his body getting use to it. Let's say after 4 days i threw it out. His behavior became more erratic. STAY AWAY from this drug! The reviews of POOR are accurate.

Related Reading: dementia

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 18

Started my 88 year old mother on this 3 days ago (she is already on the Excelon patch with good results, doctor wanted to add Aricept for "better" results...what a horror!! Mother woke up last night from very bad nightmare, it took everything to get her into bathroom (she started having diarrhea within 24 hours of starting the drug). It was like she was paralized with fear. No more of this drug, especially after reading the other comments. She said it wasn't worth the side effects for a little less loss of memory. Seems to be a drug for people 65 and under. Horrible side effects.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: vsmith4200, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 01

My mother continuously complained about stomach pain and diarrhrea in addition to eye tearing and terrible edema on her face. I couldn't figure it out until now. I have discontinued giving her Aricept as the tremendous side effects dimenish any slightly improved cognition. I do NOT recommend Aricept.

Related Reading: edema