Armour Thyroid

Comment from: pip194865-71on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 01

After suffering for 10 years on Synthoid, I found Armour and it changed my life! But, dosage is everything. Doctors don't understand Armour the way they should. They always start you on a very low dose, and it is just not enough. Have them test your TSH in two weeks instead of 6 or 8. And, side effects in the beginning are not always side effects, they are your body adjusting to having what it really needs.All your organs are responding and it can feel weird for awhile. I have taken Armour now for 15 years, and wouldn't consider going back to a synthetic. Remember, this isn't just a thyroid problem, it is a all over organ problem, when your body doesn't have enough T3. Synthroid is synthetic T4 only and your body has to covert it to T3 to use it. Amour is real T3 and T4. If you don't convert, like I don't, and you are tried then your dose it too low. I am just suggesting that you give it a chance to work. Get tested before you give up on it. It is natural thyroid and affects you totally different than the synthetics. I love it!! It gave me back my life!

Comment from: BisonBrat35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: May 08

The Armour Thyroid has been my saving grace. Prior to it I had been placed on T3 and T4 only medications, but was sent overactive and/or didn't get good results from them. Once my doctor started me on this I noticed a huge difference, have been more active, and have been able to lose much of the weight I gained over the years I was symptomatic prior to my diagnosis. One word of wisdom would be to take this right away in the morning with a big glass of water then to wait a full hour before eating. Doing this has been very helpful.

Related Reading: armour thyroid

Comment from: Basketgurl55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: December 24

Started out on Synthroid many years ago. Didn't help. Tried generics, no help. I saw an article on Armour Thyroid and discussed it with my doctor. He said he had other patients on it and they were doing well. I started taking it and it was amazing how quickly I felt better. Been on for years and never want to go back.

Related Reading: synthroid | armour thyroid

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 18

Just started at 15mg a week ago and already feel better. Was on Levothyroxine 25mcg for 2 years and just got more tired each day, but labs were all within normal range. I thought I was just getting older. Asked my doctor to switch to Armour thyroid and she was on board with it as long as I get some follow up labs done at 3 months. I feel much better after only 1 week! I don't feel like I need a nap by mid afternoon, feel more alert and have been sleeping much better at night. I'll see how it goes for another 3 weeks and then maybe adjust to 30mg. My skin is dry at this point and I think I'm losing some hair, some weight gain but hoping to level out in the next few weeks as I adjust from taking Levothyroxine to Armour.

Related Reading: levothyroxine | armour thyroid

Comment from: mapetite65-71on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 30

Became hypothyroid after my hysterectomy... Spent years on synthroid and cytomel in combination. Hair loss, lack of energy plus all the other symptoms. Had a depressed TSH but my body required high dosages. Endocrinologist agreed to try Armour-not a far but has found it worked with some patients. Luckily I was one. On 90 about three years now and want to continue, but I am just now on medicare and Armour is not on their formulary...How do you get it if you are on medicare?

Related Reading: synthroid | cytomel | hair loss

Comment from: Busy Life35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 15

I just started Armour, but I love my coffee in the am so waiting 60 min for coffee isn't fun. I feel tired about 3 hrs after taking it and want to take a nap. I am on the lowest dose of 15mg, but I don't take prescriptions, so my body is very sensitive to any meds, supplements. Does anyone on this site take Armour at night to avoid being tired? I'm only in my first week, so will the tiredness subside when my body is used to the medication?

Comment from: Criss197145-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 22

I had been on synthroid for over 3 years thyroid levels were bad dr and i talked about changing to Armour and granted im on 300 mg but in 3 months time my levels are right at normal and no side effects glad i have a dr that was willing to see if it would work for me

Comment from: momcoz55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: August 13

I have been on Armour for about 20 years after being very sick on Synthroid. finding doctors who aren't bias against this medication is my biggest challenge. I just can't tell you how horrible I felt on Synthroid and Armour has been great for me.

Comment from: Luz55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 20

I was prescribed the lowest dose of this medication. I have been allergic to most medications as I am allergic to gluten among other things. I suffer from Hashimoto disease and nodules on my thyroid. This medication has caused me great fatigue and allergic reaction. I did not know it contains corn starch. When I take it at night I canâ??t get up next day. No matter at what time I take it causes me fatigue. It has also caused me to gain weight in just a week after began using it and I am not the type of person who has weight problems. I have stop using this medication due to fatigue and allergic reaction. I will go back to the Nutrimeds dessicated thyroid meds since they seem the only ones that worked for me.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: Tasha Smith35-44on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: June 22

I've been taking armour for 5ys now haven't had any issues till now. I've gained weight uncontrolling. It causes my body to ache.

Comment from: Ren65-71on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 11

Armour uses cellulose as a binder. This prevents full assimilation and metabolization. I had heard that they switched to cornstarch (which would be great) but this change has not been published in their description of contents. Erfa (Canadian equivalent) has been my choice for two years--it does use cornstarch. Wake up Armour!!

Comment from: IceSkates35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 29

I started taking this for 4 months after levothyroxin would not work, and I felt great at first like the old me. Lately however, it has caused severe dry mouth. When I stopped it temporarily my mouth stopped being dry. However , at night my throat was dry again but I think that was from sleeping with my mouth open. I want to try something else that doesn't cause dry mouth.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 08

Like many others who have posted, I was having lots of symptoms of hypothyroidism for months. I was eating 1200 to 1400 calories a day and gaining weight. I was so fatigued for 8 or so months that my gym habit went from five days per week to about three. My blood work came back and my thyroid numbers were abnormal for me, but based on the current standards, not hypo. My doctor though in her great wisdom looked at all of my symptoms including my having a period every 2 weeks while on the pill and said let's try Armour. By the third day on it, I felt amazing. I just feel incredible. I am so thankful for this drug and my doctor for recognizing a problem even when the current standards would not classify me as hypo.

Related Reading: hypothyroidism

Comment from: Meme55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 25

I have tried Levothyroxine, then name brand Synthroid and then when they didnâ??t work he changed me to Armour Thyroid medicine. Itâ??s working, but I think it needs to be upped from 75 to 100 and Iâ??ll be OK again

Related Reading: levothyroxine | synthroid | armour thyroid

Comment from: JJ35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 02

I was diagnosed with Graves and underwent radiation treatment so now I'm Hypo, which was the goal. I was started on levothyroxine and suffered headaches and mood disorders. After many months taking it and getting my levels normal I asked my doc to change me to Nature Thyroid. He refused so I went to another doc who did. The difference was immediate. No headache and I felt much better. Now with the backlog I cant find Nature Thyroid and was switched to Armour. I take 3 grain of Nature T and when I took 3 grain of Armour I thought I was going to have a heart attack! Holy smokes, I felt aweful. It was even worse than Levothyroxine. I felt anxious, palpitations, sweaty... it was Graves disease all over again times three. I managed to find Nature Thyroid so went back on that. Now there is another shortage and I'm out again. This time I tried 1 grain of Armour and I feel like dirt and having palpitations and headache. I'm telling you this Armour stuff is NOT all natural. My body reacts to it just like Levothyroxine. I'm guessing its a combination of dessicated AND synthetic. I hate it.

Related Reading: levothyroxine | headache | heart attack

Skin Cancer Symptoms, Types, Images See Slideshow
Comment from: Elle25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 11

I just switched from synthroid to Armour Thyroid and am having nausea, tightness in my chest and swelling in my ankles. Will that eventually stop?

Related Reading: synthroid | armour thyroid

Comment from: MJJL55-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 22

I have been taking Armour for about 8 years. The only change I experienced was that I felt better! Got my energy back, moodiness went away.I experienced NO side effects. Thumbs up to going natural!

Comment from: Mikim81445-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: April 28

While I was on Armour Thyroid all my hypothyroid symptoms virtually disappeared. I had energy again, I want tired all the time. I wasn’t so moody any. My Endo didn’t take my insurance so I was forced to change endos. My new Endo refused to allow me to stay on it and kept telling me it was recalled. I can’t find any info about that. Went to two more endos who told me it was being taken off the market. Can anyone else confirm this. I hate Levo and all the forms of it. I feel like crap despite my numbers “being in normal range”. It’s extremely frustrating. I am in Suffolk County Ny if anyone knows an Endo that will prescribe it.

Related Reading: armour thyroid

Comment from: jrfaulkner845-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: April 27

I've been on Armour Thyroid for six years now and feel great. I still have the problem with hair loss, but this isn't a miracle pill either. If it was I would look like a model. The best part of Armour Thyroid at least for me is that it is natural not some chemicals that a lab put together. As for the dry mouth that I have read in the reviews. Yes, but it isn't the medication that causes mine. I have issues with my sinus that causes me to breathe through my mouth more than most. I also take several other medications which is why I jumped on the fact that Armour is natural. I'm already taking enough that isn't so I grabbed at what is and it's one of thoses that cause my occasional dry mouth issues. Which happens every few months.

Related Reading: armour thyroid | hair loss | dry mouth