Artane

Comment from: John 65-74 Transgender 10 years or more Caregiver Published: May 28

I have cervical dystonia. After trying every drug suggested, Artane was definitely a game changer for Was also receiving Botox injections for years along with Artane. Had DBS surgery which was successful and do not require Botox injections, and my Artane reduced to 2Mg /twice daily. I have tried to do with out the Artane and could not do it.....still take it today

Related Reading: dystonia | artane | botox

Comment from: Mario 19-24 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: October 25

Good

Comment from: Kin 55-64 Male Patient Published: November 06

It has off label uses like RLS,works as a drying agent,has antidepressant value,and help relax spasms. It is not controlled and is dirt cheap.

Comment from: ThatguywhotakesArtane 19-24 Male less than 1 month Patient Published: October 25

It feels like I'm taking morphine. Makes me giddy and tired. Also, I feel heavy and slow when walking. It feels like there's extra gravity pulling me down. My only problem with this drug is that it causes paresthesia (pins and needles and arm numbness). It's moderately effective at reducing akathisia. I take 2.5 mg a day.

Comment from: 45-54 Male 10 years or more Caregiver Published: June 21

It makes crave food as well a sex. It also makes me move my bowels.

Comment from: 45-54 Male 10 years or more Patient Published: May 30

It makes me feel High and drowsy. It also makes me want sex. If I do have sex, the orgasm is heightened.

Comment from: AddyD 45-54 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: December 21

Using it to offset potential side effects of higher dosage of Abilify. Thus far, I have not experienced any EPS.

Related Reading: abilify

Comment from: irphil 75 or over Male 10 years or more Patient Published: December 18

Oral mandibular dystonia. Helps somewhat.

Related Reading: dystonia

Comment from: Elaine 45-54 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: February 24

So far it has helped ease the the spasms around my eyes but not the actual eyelid which spasms and stings. No one seems to listen to me as the eyelid is the worse of it and all doctors I have seen just seem to dismiss this part of whatever is going on with me. My eyelids are swollen every day and sting and go into spasms. Around the eye/above eyebrow has seemed to stop when I take the medicine.

Comment from: Dystonia Trihexyphenidyl 55-64 Male 10 years or more Patient Published: April 08

I have taken Artane for 16 years for Dystonia. At the beginning I was unable to walk one block. Nowadays I can dance the Tango on 17 to 21 mg/day. I discovered that in France, they make Parkinane LP (Libération Prolongée = Sustained Release). The advantage is that you don't have to take it all day but it takes effect all day. I can take 9mg with Breakfast, I experience no "high" and I can function normally the whole day at a desk job. Then, if I'd like to dance, I take another 10mg+ of the faster acting Artane. The Parkinane is very reasonably priced in France 3 Euros for 20x5mg.

Related Reading: artane | dystonia

Comment from: jdc 55-64 Male 1 to 6 months Patient Published: October 06

i have trouble reaching orgasim

Comment from: Kattee 55-64 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: July 16

I have closed-mouth dystonia. All this drug did for me was make me want to sleep all time.

Related Reading: dystonia

Comment from: MGwilliam 35-44 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: March 06

I suffer from Dystonia. After trying several treatment options over 2yrs, Artane has been the most successful at eleminating the muscle spasms and relaxing things. The side effects for me include mild depression, drossiness, constipation, memory loss, however the benefits do outweigh the side effects. I keep fighting!!

Related Reading: dystonia | treatment | artane

Comment from: gwidlowejhwov 75 or over Female 1 to less than 2 years Patient Published: February 16

Loss of weight

Comment from: leopardeyes 25-34 Female 1 to less than 2 years Patient Published: September 21

I took abilify and it caused tardive dyskenesia. I was prescribed 10 mg of Artane. It was too much for me. It made me have EXTREME short term memory loss for a few hours. After several doses, it started to make me naseous and the only way to stop it was to drink orange juice with lots of pulp. Now I only take a quarter of a 5mg pill every now and it has kept my sypmtoms away. A note: the brand Danbury is better than the Qualitest brand. Danbury doesn't upset my stomach like Qualitest does.

Related Reading: abilify | artane

Comment from: thomrdm 45-54 Male less than 1 month Patient Published: July 02

i have only been on artane fer 3 days and can tell a difference,,hope it gets better

Related Reading: artane

Comment from: FormerArtaneUser 45-54 Male 1 to 6 months Patient Published: April 10

This stuff is wicked... It messed with my close up vision (extremely blurry), headaches, dry mouth and I started to become paranoid. Started to experienced night terrors and had a very strange persistant feeling that I had forgot to do something important. All this stopped within a few days after quiting the drug. Just be carefull and watch for changes - it always helps to keep a daily journal as to how you are feeling day to day while taking any drug.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: ANK 45-54 Male 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: November 28

I've been taking Artane 5 years 2-5 mg twice a day, works well on my hand tremor I noticed big memory loss, also recently diagnosed with Glaucoma (my not be related)

Related Reading: artane | glaucoma

QUESTION

Parkinson's disease is only seen in people of advanced age. See Answer