Artane

Comment from: Lucky, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: September 14

I was having to get Botox injections in my neck muscle every three months for cervical dystonia and after I started the Artane and had been on it for approx 5 months, I was able to discontinue the Botox injections. It does affect my short term memory somewhat but that is better than constant pain in my neck and my head being pulled to one side (very embarrassing)

Related Reading: botox | dystonia | artane

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 15

I have benign essential blepharospasm and cervical dystonia. I was nearly blind from the severe spasms. I began taking artane about 8 years ago and it made all the difference in the world for my ability to see. The spasms better controlled and as a result I was able to go back to work. I also had much more energy to do things. The drawbacks from the medication were the dry mouth and constipation and surprisingly muscle stiffness. I also have problems with my short term memory. My tolerance level was also much lower than the recommended dose.Despite the negative effects, I still found that it was worth taking because it allowed me to function better than anything else I had tried. I would recommend the medication to anyone with dystonia who has a problem with either antro or retrocolis or benign essential blepharospasm. It really made a difference to me.

Related Reading: artane | dry mouth | constipation

Comment from: Bird, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 24

It was horrible! I lost weight and the Dystonia was worse you must be very careful with this medicine. I have spasmodic torticollis.

Related Reading: dystonia

Comment from: MGwilliam, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 06

I suffer from Dystonia. After trying several treatment options over 2yrs, Artane has been the most successful at eleminating the muscle spasms and relaxing things. The side effects for me include mild depression, drossiness, constipation, memory loss, however the benefits do outweigh the side effects. I keep fighting!!

Related Reading: muscle spasms | depression

Comment from: Dystonia Trihexyphenidyl, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 08

I have taken Artane for 16 years for Dystonia. At the beginning I was unable to walk one block. Nowadays I can dance the Tango on 17 to 21 mg/day. I discovered that in France, they make Parkinane LP (Libération Prolongée = Sustained Release). The advantage is that you don't have to take it all day but it takes effect all day. I can take 9mg with Breakfast, I experience no "high" and I can function normally the whole day at a desk job. Then, if I'd like to dance, I take another 10mg+ of the faster acting Artane. The Parkinane is very reasonably priced in France 3 Euros for 20x5mg.

Comment from: none, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years Published: August 08

Artane is an obsolete medication that was used extensivly in the 1970's & 80's to control the extra parymital side effects of neuoleptics such as navane & melaril.It is shorter acting than cogentin, which was also used. Dosage 2-10mg/Q day. It gets you high as a kite. The first hour seems great.Then you start wondering "When is this going to be over?"It effects your short term memory greatly,though it gradually returns. Artane is so old that is not generally listed as Artane but by it' generic name Trihexyphenidyl. It is available cheaply from India.

Related Reading: navane | cogentin

Comment from: 7-12 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 04

Has anyone had harmful thoughts about yourself or others or other things since taking this medicine?

Comment from: hemi facial spasm, on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 24

very nervuos cant sleep

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 30

It makes me feel High and drowsy. It also makes me want sex. If I do have sex, the orgasm is heightened.

Comment from: jdc, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 06

i have trouble reaching orgasim

Comment from: irphil, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 18

Oral mandibular dystonia. Helps somewhat.

Related Reading: dystonia

Comment from: Kattee, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 16

I have closed-mouth dystonia. All this drug did for me was make me want to sleep all time.

Comment from: Ann Burgess, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 30

Does this drug(Artane), used to treat essential tremor?

Related Reading: artane

Comment from: Elaine, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 24

So far it has helped ease the the spasms around my eyes but not the actual eyelid which spasms and stings. No one seems to listen to me as the eyelid is the worse of it and all doctors I have seen just seem to dismiss this part of whatever is going on with me. My eyelids are swollen every day and sting and go into spasms. Around the eye/above eyebrow has seemed to stop when I take the medicine.

Comment from: Kin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

It has off label uses like RLS,works as a drying agent,has antidepressant value,and help relax spasms. It is not controlled and is dirt cheap.

Comment from: ThatguywhotakesArtane, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 25

It feels like I'm taking morphine. Makes me giddy and tired. Also, I feel heavy and slow when walking. It feels like there's extra gravity pulling me down. My only problem with this drug is that it causes paresthesia (pins and needles and arm numbness). It's moderately effective at reducing akathisia. I take 2.5 mg a day.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years Published: June 21

It makes crave food as well a sex. It also makes me move my bowels.

Comment from: AddyD, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 21

Using it to offset potential side effects of higher dosage of Abilify. Thus far, I have not experienced any EPS.

Related Reading: abilify

Comment from: gwidlowejhwov, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 16

Loss of weight

Comment from: leopardeyes, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 21

I took abilify and it caused tardive dyskenesia. I was prescribed 10 mg of Artane. It was too much for me. It made me have EXTREME short term memory loss for a few hours. After several doses, it started to make me naseous and the only way to stop it was to drink orange juice with lots of pulp. Now I only take a quarter of a 5mg pill every now and it has kept my sypmtoms away. A note: the brand Danbury is better than the Qualitest brand. Danbury doesn't upset my stomach like Qualitest does.

Related Reading: abilify

Comment from: thomrdm, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 02

i have only been on artane fer 3 days and can tell a difference,,hope it gets better

Related Reading: artane

Comment from: FormerArtaneUser, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 10

This stuff is wicked... It messed with my close up vision (extremely blurry), headaches, dry mouth and I started to become paranoid. Started to experienced night terrors and had a very strange persistant feeling that I had forgot to do something important. All this stopped within a few days after quiting the drug. Just be carefull and watch for changes - it always helps to keep a daily journal as to how you are feeling day to day while taking any drug.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: ANK, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 28

I've been taking Artane 5 years 2-5 mg twice a day, works well on my hand tremor I noticed big memory loss, also recently diagnosed with Glaucoma (my not be related)

Related Reading: artane | glaucoma

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 06

I have not responded to most parkinson treatments. Artane made all the difference in my ability to function (ie) walking.

Comment from: 1mittens, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 03

I started taking artane in may 2009. Now it's August,and I feel horrible. I'm sweating more,head tremors,nervousness,paranoid at times,and I have trouble with my eyesight things look blurry and I'm straining.I wish Kemadrin was still being made,I felt alot better before taking this drug.

Related Reading: artane | tremors | kemadrin