Atacand

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 02

I started about 1 month ago and my B/P went down almost immediately. However, I now have very noticable bags under my eyes that I never had before. I heard of one other person having that same issue. Anyone else?

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 12

Have been taking this for several years. Was not aware that dizziness and bags under the eyes were associated with this. Have been having episodes of vertigo for about the same length of time. Feel tired most of the time, too. Hmmm...

Related Reading: dizziness | vertigo

Comment from: Rhon, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 29

I've been taking Atacand for a month now, I was satisfied with the result until this past week, I noticed I've been having series of dry cough, at least twice a day. My troat just get so ichy. I wonder if this is one of the side effects.

Related Reading: atacand | cough

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 27

I've used this drug for at leat 5 years now. I seem to have constant itching that is very annoying. It moves all over my body and has no rhyme or reason where it will itch next. I also have noticed bags under my eyes that are more prevalent then in the past.

Related Reading: itch

Comment from: Matt, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 31 yrs. of age and I started atacand 16mg a day when I was 22 or 23. Now I suffer with high cholesterol and high tryglcerydes. I am not over weight and I watch what I eat. I just read that the water reducing agent in here may raise my tryglcerydes. I will report back after working closely with my doctor.

Related Reading: atacand | cholesterol

Comment from: Lillian, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 25

It works, only it will really lower your blood pressure too low. I think it gives me back pain too.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 03

take this medication 1year. after 6 month was feeling discomfort in left shoulder and arm.2 month later it become painful.3 more month can not move my left arm without pain. now need help to be dressed.also back pain.think it caused by atacand long term treatment.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 15

Ive read here that some people are experiencing bags under the eyes while on this med. Im 31 and have been on the medication for 6 years now. Ive noticed severe under eye bags during this time even though Ive no weight on (Hypertension is a family condition unfortunatly). Im reading this and thinking - 'Wow, how come I never associated them to the drug until now. They do upset me constantly. I had always been complimented on my lovely eyes in the past, now they are ugly. Does anyone know if I come off the drug do the bags go too? It works great besides - BP was 220/125 and now 130/80. No other side affects.

Comment from: Munther, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 03

I was diagnosed with hypertension 5years ago and started medication with Micardes 80mg which at the start worked perfectly with truly low side effects but my blood pressure started to move up after 4years of Micardes. My doctor moved me to Micardes Plus which was quite good but for a short period of time. In one of the random checks my reading was 140/105 which triggered my doctor to give another medication in addition to the Micardis Plus but I never used it. I went to another doctor who replaced Micardis with Exforge. Oh God, was fatal on me with lots and lots of side effects. I thought I may die if I continued to use it then I tried the magical Atacand Plus. Frankly, it took sometime to work perfectly but now my readings is around 120/75 during the day and 105/65 at night. Very minimal side effects and feeling myself active and full of energy. I never saw those numbers (120/75) even in childhood. I hope it will continue to work well for me. Tip of advice, learn to calm down as much as possible, meditation and stay active as possible. Cheers

Related Reading: micardis | exforge

Comment from: Patcheen, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 11

I suffer from HBP, have a right kidney with no artery and a left with 2 arteries. Left kidney had an angioplasty on top pole due to Renal artery stenosis and was successful. Had litle luck with other BP meds until Atacand. It has worked, beautifully . Take it 16 mg in AM and 16mg before bed . BP's are at los 130's over 70's . Yes, have developed the under eye bags that I never had before .. Hard time getting insurance to cover but State programs will .. It works.

Related Reading: renal artery stenosis | atacand

Comment from: Lee, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 09

I have been on Atacand 8mg for about 3 years. The medication has been effective in keeping my blood pressure level, but from the start, I have dizziness, itching and have gained weight. About 4 months ago my Dr increased dose to 16mg. Since this time I have gained more weight. I am now 25lbs overweight. I also have been feeling depressed to a point where I don't want to do anything. I am experiencing lower back pain, pain in ankle and now pain in my thigh. The pain is to a point where I could barely walk without limping, go up or down stairs without assistance or even sit or lay down comfortably. AND OH MY GOODNESS, let me not forget, HAIR LOSS! from the start. I'm not sure if this is being caused by this Med, but would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this. By the way, this is the only medication I'm taking.

Related Reading: dizziness | lower back pain | hair loss

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 03

I take a low dose of this medicine, however I constantly fight dizziness and unsteadyness. It is really starting to affect my life.

Comment from: riches, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 13

It is interesting to see that I have been experiencing all of the side effects. Could not understand why I have been so very light headed and was becoming very concerned. I have also started to experience back pains which I had when taking another medication. I have also experienced the same stomach problems I did when taking another medication; bags have also started to develop under my eyes.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 18

I have been taking Atacand since 1998. I started at 16mg and now I am at 32mg. I also take hydrochlorothiazide (diuretic) and I have had no side effects. My blood pressure is usually 98/65 or so and I walk 2 miles five days a week. It's working for me!

Comment from: mandragore, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 26

Started 2 1/2 years ago after being over-prescribed other drugs (clonidine, benicar, diltiazem..) & it seems to have the desired result, although one unpleasant side-effect is a loud pulse sound after about 4/5 hours after taking it (8 mg).

Related Reading: clonidine | benicar

Comment from: Wesley, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 15

I started using this drug due to a problem with a ongoinr caugh using altace 10 mg. once a day. Now using Atacand 16mg twicw a day. will report back.

Related Reading: altace

Comment from: laj lake, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 07

I have been taking Atacand for over 6 mos. It has helped with my HP but I'm having side effects of joint pain, stomach pain along with shoulder & left arm, & chest pain after I eat. I also get a stuffy nose and whease @ night when I go to sleep. The joint pain is getting worse and so is the Stomach issues. This is the 5th drug I have tried and they all have terriable side affects for me. Guess It is time to see the doctor again. age is 62 I'm in good health but over weight. Need to drop about 50 lbs. hard to do while on drugs.

Related Reading: chest pain

Comment from: Max J, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 16

1303 days on ATACAND 8 & 16 mg/d. Severe side effects ALT was 30 U/L raised to 69 U/L and rising, i.e., liver tissue injury, kidney tissue damage, plus other related side effects.

Related Reading: atacand | liver

Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes See Slideshow
Comment from: johnnyb, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 09

i have been taking this drug for three months and have the same baggibg under the eyes as others along with small sweeling pockets under my skin in different areas. they go away usually in a day and then show up some where else. cant get an answer. has any one else had these symptoms. a reply would be appreciated

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 16

I dont feel quite right most of the time and have chronic back ache. But its had less side effects then other medication I have been on

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 13

I need to konw if others have experienced a low heart rate with this medicine? I just recently have been real tired, and noticed my heart rate was under 60.

Comment from: Adacand oral, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 13

this was very dangerous for me, shortness of breath, I am very active had to quit the gym, could not walk more than half a block when I was gasping for breath, pharmacist told me that it effected by lungs; now off of if and on a duretic only; lost 2 kg and my bp dropped 3 points

Comment from: (Patient) Published: February 24

Since I have been on this med I have sinusitis, wheezing, leg and joint pain, insomnia, and am now noticing more problems with itching and rashes. I have made these complaints to my doctor. I have seen warnings of the drugs in this category and don't understand what it will take other than death for doctors to make connections of the drug and side-effects when presented at office visits. Why does the FDA not step in and stop the pharmaceutical companies from distributing drugs such as these. One has to see the commercials after people have died or suffered. I am going to request to be put on another medication for my treatment. Some doctors have a "god complex" and don't listen.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: Alice, 75 or over on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 25

I have been on Atacand for 6 months and have developed a lot of joint and muscle pain and muscle weakness. I thought it was Flecainide that I am on also but after reading about this medication I am wondering if it is Atacand that is causing all this pain. Has anyone else have pain from this?

Related Reading: atacand | flecainide

Comment from: Max J, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

1303 days on ATACAND gave me some 20 lbs overweight that still I cannot rid of it.

Related Reading: atacand