Ativan

Comment from: JennWil05, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 21

When I get the feeling a panick attack is about to happen, I stick one ;ill under my tounge and within minutes I feel completely calm and no longer anxious. I also use the medication if I drank too much wine the night before (too much sugar), I take one pill and the anxiety is gone. Ativan is though very habit forming and addictive. I have been taking it for over a year and feel as thought I cannot stop taking it.

Related Reading: anxiety | ativan

Comment from: pookie, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 03

Before taking this medicine I had no life I had full blown panic attacks and couldn't leave the house due to anxiety and depression. They tried me on other medications but they always made me feel loopey. My life was destroyed by my mental illness but when they put me on ativan the tension, heaviness in my heart, the shaking and feeling like my life was over all went away. I was back to being myself again and have ever since. Sure I have some bad days but don't we all. Just to live normal again and not have the fear in your heart or in your head is worth it to me. You need to take your meds as prescribed and don't increase the meds or drink alcohol with them. I have been blessed they finally did find something to help me live a more normal life. All meds work differently on people so just work with your doctor and what works for you to be a normal person again is what it's all about.

Related Reading: panic attacks | depression | mental illness

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 22

I started having anxiety attacks in my twenties. Ativan has been a lifesaver for me. I started with 1 mg 3x daily until I became pregnant. After I lowered to .5 mg 3x daily. I can only say that this drug has made me feel "normal" again. I have had no desire or need to up my dosage for 20 years now. I know I will probably be on this for the rest of my life. I take it gladly for it has given me a life free of panic. Respect this drug and do not overuse. I also saw a pychologist to learn how to deal with anxiety. This combination of therapy and medication has been priceless for me.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 01

Was first given Ativan in the ER to calm a Panic Attack. Was given 2mg of IV Ativan. I went from being so nervous and shaking to not caring if I was wearing a lampshade on my head in the span of 20 minutes!! Afterward, was given .5mg up to 3x daily. This drug has calmed my panic attacks but, it comes at a price... It now takes more to get the same calming effect than in the beginning AND it does tend to make me forgetful. Therefore, I only take it when it's absolutely necessary to ward off a panic attack.

Comment from: Veroncia, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 04

I have been taking Ativan for about 5 months now. I started taking it when my mother passed away. It has relieved my panic and anxiety attacks. I started out with 1mg twice a day and are now on 0.5mg one a day at bedtime. It has been helpful, I get very severe panic attacks that usually end up in the ER. But Ativan has helped me a lot. I am concerned about becoming addicted so my doctor suggested, weening myself off of it, by taking it every other night for a week, then every two nights for a week and so forth. He has also suggested I see a Phsycologist, which I do on a regular basis, excercise, and relaxing techniques, such as meditation, massage, accupuncture and Yoga. I am going to try the accupuncture first, then the excercise and then the Yoga. I will report later. It was great reading all the reviews, I hope that my review will help someone deal with their anxiety and try the things my doctor has suggested.

Comment from: JoeC, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: November 15

This drug works like a miracle to calm my anxiety when needed. Within an hour I can go from a state of near paranoia to total relaxation and ease with the world around me, a temporary transformation to an extrovert even. But it is highly addictive and use must be strictly regulated. It's so easy to want to use it again and again: I try not to use it more than once a week. The problem is that if I slip and start using for a couple days in a row I become dependent and need more to make it work. By the time I've realized I'm hooked and stop the side affects kick in: even worse anxiety than before, trouble sleeping, no energy, no motivation. Overall an excellent medication but must be used with discipline.

Comment from: Holly, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 13

The proper dose of ativan softens my anxiety significantly, without making me drowsy. It has been a life-saver in many ways. It allows me to get on with my work day (I own my own photography business) without the gnawing feeling of worthlessness and overwhelm. It makes me feel like I am ok, I am worthy, and, I can do whatever I need to do to be productive and to connect with other people in a positive way.

Related Reading: ativan

Comment from: Alphanubilus, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 13

Like any red blooded American, as soon as I was prescribed this drug, I immediately googled it on the web and saw countless horror stories. I read about all the terrible things that happened to people while on Ativan, and to be honest I haven't had any of the problems people say it caused. Back in Aug I was diagnosed GAD and my doctor prescribed to me Ativan .5mg to help cope with my anxiety. I started out at 2mg per day for the first week, but then felt good enough to drop that to 1.5mg and then to just 1mg by week three. By week 4 I was down to .5mg only at night, which is where I'm at right now. I'll be dropping it down to .3 by the end of next week. Ativan has been the ONLY anxiety drug I've taken lately that hasn't tried to kill me. Celexa even at a small dosage gave me the early symptoms of serotonin syndrome. Buspar made me incredibly ill, but my .5 Ativan helps me sleep in a pinch. I'm not keen on staying on this benzo, however if I need to, I think I'll move to Klonopin. In the end my experience has been more than pleasant, and as I'm gradually tapering off the drug, I haven't had really any nasty side effects. As my doctor told me, most of the horror stories are caused by people who didn't follow instructions. Didn't take the drug as prescribed, and or expected the drug to resolve the anxiety issues. As my doc says, the drug helps you do 25% of the work, but it's up to you to resolve the rest of the 75%. This drug isn't for everybody, especially those with drug addiction issues, but if you take it just as the doctor instructs and go in with the mindset to taper yourself off, then I highly recommend it (at least for a short period of time (no more than three months)

Related Reading: ativan | anxiety | celexa

Comment from: Christy , 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 03

I had terrible anxiety & self medicated for 20 years, it was terrible. I started this drug @ 1mg two years ago & have not used a drop of alcohol or illegal substances since. I don't know where I would be without it.

Comment from: Syke, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 19

I have been taking Ativan (from 1mg. to 2mg.) every night for 11 years for anxiety and chronic insomnia. It worked great -- but after about 9 years, it seemed to "turn" on me. I began waking up with killer headaches and experienced fogginess and abdominal symptoms. The symptoms became incapacitating, and now am attempting to slowing taper off of Ativan -- which I KNOW is the culprit, whether doctors believe it is or not. The withdrawal process is very difficult with the physical symptoms and the psychological fear, especially without much support.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 26

I took Ativan to alleviate very severe panic attacks, for which it worked quite well. However, I wasn't keen on the memory loss, lethargy or complete loss of sex drive, and am endeavoring to kick it in favor of "lesser" medications. After 1.5 months, I am physically addicted and finding the withdrawal (nausea, insomnia, hot flashes) very troublesome. A potent and useful medicine, though not without its cost.

Related Reading: panic attacks | hot flashes

Comment from: Polinda, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 31

An excellent medication, out of all meds I tried none were as effective for managing my PTSD symptoms. Completely prevented flashbacks and nightmares and anxiety at night and allowed me to fall asleep very calmly. However I can't give it a 10 because I gained tolerance to the doses incredibly quickly, meaning I had to keep raising the dose to get the same effect, which is dangerous because it is a drug you can become physically addicted to. I would highly recommend this med to those seeking a short term fix while they are becoming stable on another long term med, but would not recommend it as a long term fix due to tolerance and addiction possibilities. I bought Ativan here https://drugstoresale24hss.com/ativan. Maybe my review helpes somebody!

Related Reading: nightmares

Comment from: libflynn, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 17

I was first given this in the hospital after having a seizure. I have used it off and on since to treat anxiety and depression. I have to say it is a life saver. I would not recommend more than one dose daily. In my experience it sent me into a fit of rage that I never experienced. It was a terrible side effect, but I would never give up this medication. It calms me and helps me sleep when my mind won't shut off. I helped me thru extremely terrible times.

Related Reading: seizure | depression

Comment from: marlointhesun, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 31

I have been taking lorazapam for nearly 20 years now. Severe panic attacks and agoraphobia. This is the only medication that has worked and not caused me to feel "addicted" I started with xanax, which made me anxious if I didnt take it at a specific time, and kind of bitchy too. Did the klonapin thing, too groggy. Ativan works just right. I started out with 2mg 3x a day, and am now down to 1mg 2 or 3x a day, if I'm just chillin at home, just 1mg is effective of keeping "el diablo" (panic attacks) away. I feel that the abuse of this drug would only be by someone that doesnt have panic attacks. For me having such a high anxiety level, this drug simply takes the edge off and actually allows me to function as a "normal" person. I can go out to dinner, shopping, to a concert, on a vacation. Not stuck in my house, or an ER anymore. YAY FOR ATIVAN!!!!

Related Reading: panic attacks | agoraphobia | xanax

Comment from: Mimi D, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 02

I take ativan oral for anxiety and PTSD. It has worked better than any of the 9 or 12 they've me in over many, many years. I've been on threes time for 15 years, with no problems stopping when I need to for surgery etc. Lately there's a new black box warning out about this and oxys, but I've been taking them together for years now with no problem... sooooooooo, now my doctor says she can't give them to me anymore so I'm off them for two weeks, and in that time I've slept 2 nights through. I'm on tomazepam which doesn't work much at all. For insomnia, HA!! I've cut way back on the oxys so I can get the ativan back... it's the only drug for me to help with anxiety

Related Reading: ativan | anxiety | insomnia

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 12

Ativan was prescribed to me for anxiety. It is working great. My shaking has almost stopped. I can't believe what a different person I am. I wish I would of spoken with my Dr. years ago about my anxiety. The Ativan is working so well I noticed with my anxiety about gone I have a higher tolerance for people, people do not get on my nerves, has this happened to anyone else? I have not had any side effects from the Ativan. I am on 1.5mg's daily. If I do good on this & my anxiety is under control I'll stay at this dose & not go up on it.

Related Reading: ativan

Comment from: Female on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 30

I have been on Lorezapam (generic for Ativan) for about 12 years now. I have stopped taking it for periods of time (up to 3 months or more), but only wound up having acute panic attacks again and often hospitalized since some of my symtoms were considered life threatning. It is the only medication that has been able to prevent me from having acute anxiety attacks and some other health problems especially hypertension(the silent killer). The reason I would stop taking it was because of all the "BS" I heard about how harmful it could be and was very addictive and you would have to take more and more of it, not so with me! I take 1 mg twice daily and it does the trick, I am able to function totally normal while taking this medication with NO SIDE EFFECTS! I have been told by Doctor's that the 1 mg dose I take twice a day is considered a small dose and is not harmful to me and actually benefical for me to take because of the other health problems I have. Sometimes I will only take 1 MG daily and have NEVER taken more than 3 MG in one day. From my personal experience with this medication, I would rank it right at the top if you need treatment for acute anxiety. As for the treatment of anxiety before I started taking Lorezapam, THEY ALL FAILED! Yes, I understand this is not the case for others, if you have suceeded my some other method, GREAT! But if you are going to need medication, myself I don't know of anything better. Doctor's have tried me on everthing else from just plain Aspirin and a night of good sex to Thorazine.

Related Reading: aspirin | thorazine

Comment from: Bpwilly , 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 27

This medication is poison. I have been put on it and can't get off. Highly addictive and interferes with my mood ... I have no energy and I am far worse off taking this medication than I was without it. Stay away from it.

Comment from: Nic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have had anxiety issues for years but they have worsened considerably lately. I had an anxiety attack so bad a week ago that i went to the e.r and was prescribed a low dose ativan until could see my regular doctor. The medicine helped me so much that i cant begin to describe it. I wasnt able to get in to see my regular pain doctor for the next week or so, and when i did he did not want to prescribe it to me, even after i described how it had opened my eyes and made me realize that i wanted to to stop taking my regular pain meds (methadone, norco)just so that i could have something to make me enjoy life again. My doctor of course says that he "hates that medicine" and it took everything to convince him to at least give me something else for anxity. So instead he prescribed me very small doses of klonopins. At first it sounded to me as if they would be similar but to my dissapointment they are not. Ativans changed the way i was thinking and made me feel very positive about life. I am now in the process of trying to get my doctor changed so that i may have the option of changing the med. My advise to anyone out there is to be on top of your case, and dont just let your doctor take advantage of the fact that you dont know as nuch about med. as they do. Nobody can tell you how much pain you are in. GOOD LUCK

Related Reading: norco

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 08

My husband was 38 years old and committed suicide from taking Ativan. It was taken in combination with Welbutrin for depression. Do not take these two together..the ativan made him have body tremors, nervousness, and horrible suicidal thoughts. Do not take Ativan and you become addicted within one month. He was taking it for three months and couldn't handle life anymore.

Related Reading: suicide | ativan | depression

Comment from: ojitos, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 23

I was diagnosed with high anxiety. I would wake up in the morning ready to conquer the world ten times over. I would so fast that my family would tell me to calm down. Sometimes I couldn't keep up with myself. I was prescribed 0.5 mg Ativan 2x per day As Needed. This medication is not meant to be taken every single day. Even at the speed I was going, I did not need this medicine every day. If you find you need to take this medication every day, then you should ask for another medication. I was told by my doctor that Wellbutrin helps with anxiety but also with appetite control. The only issue was I would have had to wait 4-6 weeks for it to kick in. We should always police ourselves and watch what we are putting in our mouths and how often, especially medication. Several doctors did not feel comfortable prescribing this drug and I didn't understand why when it was on the formulary at my doctor's office. This is truly the only medication that I found that doesn't cause libido issues and that I can take when needed, not every single day. Most medications made me feel out of my element and thus not myself. The Ativan takes the edge off but helps slow me down so I am not going 100 mph. If you feel like you are starting to become addicted or are addicted, seek help. Don't put yourself in that situation. Be true to yourself. Always!

Related Reading: anxiety | wellbutrin

Comment from: No Xanax, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 25

Ativan is the best fast acting benzo available. Although it does have potential for abuse like others, unlike Xanax, Ativan is a fast acting yet smooth panic reliever that works smoothly on the way and down. I highly recommend you take Ativan before ever trying its rival, Xanax.

Related Reading: xanax

Comment from: hfurbish , 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 03

Ativan is not habit forming for someone who doesn't have an addictive personality. I have been on and off Ativan for a few years and have never suffered any kind of withdrawal symptom or felt I "needed" the medication.

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 28

THis is a very effective drug for anxiety. Withdrawl symptoms can be evident and unpleasent if I've used my prescription too quickly in a given month. I take 60 .5mg tablets every thirty days. This medicine has wonderful potential to help anxious people feel comfortable; however, it must be used with descretion. I have discussed increasing my dose or number of tablets with my doctor, but am concerned with withdrawl symptoms. Three tablets a day may be better than two, but eventially I'm afraid I would require four and on. Each patient and physician should determine the dose and frequency based on the individual's condtion, body and response to therapy.

Comment from: Jbarton, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 28

I am 50 years old and have been on this drug for about two years. I started taking it for insomnia and found that it greatly lessened my anxiety attacks. Before taking Lorazapam (Ativan), I would sit at work and spend hours plotting my own death. Now, as long as I take .5mg regularly, I can work without the distraction of suicidal thoughts or anxiety attacks. I take two-three mg at bedtime. I've never slept better and do not have trouble geting up in the morning. I am sure that I am dependent on this drug by now but I would rather take Lorazapam for the rest of my life than deal with the alternatives.

Related Reading: insomnia