Atrovent HFA

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 19

I must bring a word of caution into what has been good reviews for this inhaler. I have used Atrovent for 5 months, as well as steroid, and rescue inhalers. At first I thought that Atrovent was helping me. After a while, I started to get sore throats, but ignored them. 2 weeks ago the nasal passages near to my throat, my throat, and my upper lungs became very sore, and I developed a post nasal drip. A cough unsued, which was sticky and difficult to clear. Trying to sleep was difficult, as my nasal passages made creaking, whistling or crackling noises, whilst the post nasal drip continued all night. Eventually I was waking 5 or 6 times a night coughing, and these coughing bouts left me so breathless I needed to reach for a rescue inhaler. Yesterday I only used the inhaler twice, and had my first good night's sleep for a while. Today, my throat isn't sore or swollen, and I can breath easier. I will never use this inhaler again. Regardless of generally good reviews for a drug, use all medications with caution. Only you know how your body is reacting.

Related Reading: cough

Comment from: EDLBRNS, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 06

if used 4 times daily it causes severe urineretention.seems to adversely affect prostate.i'm looking for a medicine that works but does not do that. HELP!!!!

Comment from: harry, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 01

atrovent works well without side effects for me. my doctor looked for something that did not have stuff in it that is known to cause trouble. albuterol was causing leg cramps. so we found several substitutes but insurance would not cover some. atrovent was covered and appeared to not contain any of those questionable ingredients and no albuterol. we tried it and it worked just as well as the big names and actually better over time. so far, after a couple of years, i don't have the bad effects seen with some heavily advertised brands of inhalers. i use this in combination with Flovent. thats a long acting inhaler that also doesn't have questionable ingredients like "formoterol". so far this combination has worked well for me with no side effects noticed for 2 years of everyday use. a nice relief from the problems i used to have.

Related Reading: albuterol | flovent

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 18

I began using the inhaler 5 weeks ago and I quit smoking 2 weeks ago. No side affects from the inhaler, my breathing is much easier and the coughing has almost completely ceased.

Related Reading: smoking

Comment from: per.h., 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 30

i recover my shortness of breath very quickly, its been the best inhaler i have used so far, for having a collapsed lung and having surgery to have it talced and the holes stapled, it doesnt give me any side defects or nervous system effects.

Comment from: asthma girl, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 25

I just started taking this medication a couple of days ago. So far, it has been fine, no side effects that are severe and my breathing has improved greatly. My only concern is that I have a slight burning in my upper chest like that of a chest cold. THis occurs right after taking the medication. I am also experiencing a dry cough that can get quite persistant but seems to be alievated when using a cough drop.

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 19

I have a difficult time keeping up with 16 puffs per day with the Atrovent HFA. Also I have read not to take over 12 puffs per day but my physician says 16. What does this mean?

Related Reading: atrovent hfa

Comment from: billhuff sr, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 14

used this drug 16 years. side effects worsening daily.

Comment from: Jo, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 24

Taken as initially directed, two puffs four times a day, my heart beats very fast and I have a strange taste on my tongue for a long time even with rinsing. With the dose cut to one puff, three to four times a day, the fast heart beat doesn't occur, and there is not a strange strong lingering taste, even if I don't rinse.

Comment from: nurse, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 22

very satisfied with med

Comment from: Helen, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 06

I had headaches for the whole month I used it. The Doctor took me off it as she said it was probably the powder. I am on advair spray now and rarely get a headache.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 17

I have a constant tingling in my arm and hands and stiff neck since taking this drug. It is effective in controlling my asthma. I need to check with my doctor if there is anything as effective w.out the side effects

Related Reading: asthma

Comment from: The3rdsis, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 31

I have been using this inhaler for over 15 years and all of a sudden my insurance company will not cover it and I find that after not using it for 1 week, because of cost, I am have a lot of trouble trying to breathe.

Comment from: Asa, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 19

The atrovent HFA inhalor work exellent for my emphysema.

Related Reading: atrovent hfa | emphysema

Comment from: Jake, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 15

Emerg doc had me take 10 shots of ventolin and 5 shots of this, had tingling/numb hands and face for 24 hrs after, chest pains, lots of coughing, sore throat. Seems to relieve the labored breathing though.

Related Reading: sore throat

Comment from: Don, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 05

Severe hangover, numb hands, memory loss, back of head hurts, stiff neck, arms, legs,shortness of breath when trying to sleep,wake up several times during the night,clogged sinus. never had theese symthems before taking this medicine, just shortness of breath sometimes when lying down.

Comment from: Wenda, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 13

Xopenex/albuterol works better/faster, but I developed vertigo, headaches and other side effects. Spiriva worked well, but kept me awake, so my doctor suggested Atrovent and it's great. I take inhaled steroids and use Atrovent when I exercise as well as every day. It stops my coughing and I have no side effects. The only time I needed to use Xopenex too was when I caught a chest cold.

Related Reading: xopenex | albuterol | vertigo

Comment from: crazym, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 05

it tasted as if i just shot voka air in my mouth disgusting and gross

Comment from: Bert, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 20

Atrovent works decently well for me. My problem is that I have no insurance and the out-of-pocket cost of this 25-day supply is $164. With all my other medical expenses, that's a financial hit I can't handle in the long term. Is there no generic for this?

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 08

Heaviness in legs and dizziness, blurred vision

Related Reading: dizziness

COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips See Slideshow
Comment from: Ringer, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 23

Using for last 3 months for a dry cough. Apparently mucus is going down into the stomach causing the cough. Also given Rabeprazole (small yellow tablet-twice daily) This seems to be working. My concern is long term use and the possibility of worse side effects than the dry mouth and slight pain in the sinus area after using the spray. Any long time users out there?

Related Reading: cough | rabeprazole | dry mouth

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 29

I use two puffs twice a day for the last year. It reduces and mostly takes away the whizzing.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 20

I was surprised when I was prescribed this inhaler for my bronchitis, but so far it has been quite helpful. My coughing has gone down and my breathing is much more relaxed. I have only been using it for a few days but it has already been effective.

Related Reading: bronchitis