Augmentin Chewable Tablets

Comment from: Joycey, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 06

This is the best antibiotic out there for me. It clears my ear congestion up and sinus problems from my allergies better than anything else. I wish more doctors would prescribe this instead of pushing zpack. My internist wants to always prescribe regular amoxicillan and it just doesn't work for me.

Comment from: janine, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 14

I had severe stomach and abdominal pain, and severe diarrea.

Related Reading: abdominal pain

Comment from: MommaT, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 13

About twice a year I get bronchitis/pneumonia and/or a sinus infection. Completely taken care of with this drug. The trick for me is to: 1. always make sure to take it on a FULL stomach (not with a snack - FULL) and 2. Take a pro biotic (at least 2 hours before or after a dose)

Related Reading: bronchitis | pneumonia | sinus infection

Comment from: tntaz37363, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 10

Worked great on the sinus infection; however, horrible headache everytime I moved my head, or coughed, . . any movement.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: SunNStarzSM, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 29

I gave this drug only 4 stars because of only being on it for 3 days but other than feeling groggy & fatigued which can be related to ANYTHING, its been great! I haven't had any stomach issues including diarrhea but EVERYONE here must remember or become educated on how antibiotics work on the system. ANY TIME you take ANY ANTIBIOTIC and do not replace the "good" bacteria the meds are killing as well with a probiotic you're "almost" always going to have intestinal issues; diarrhea, gas, thrush, yeast infections etc! ALWAYS ALWAYS supplement w/ a great probiotic, especially acidolphilous!

Related Reading: diarrhea | thrush

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 12

This works, but the stomach pain & nausea are bad side effects. Even taken with food, this drug causes me problems.

Comment from: SICK, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 23

This is a HORRIBLE DRUG....I am on day 7 I have had the stomach issues,weakness,anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts.The sinus infection is not getting any better. Dr still thinks I need to take it but I am seriously thinking of coming off of it. Be very caredul on this drug it can cause a lot of healt problems.

Related Reading: anxiety | depression

Comment from: YogiMommie, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 16

I took my first dose at 7pm with food and by 12:45am I was throwing up violently. By 3am I was vomiting blood. Ended up in the ER. Bleeding was caused from a burst blood vessel in my throat. Scariest experience ever. The dr.'s dont believe that it is the ammoxicillin part of the drug that I am intollerant to but the other part that is "something"-clav? That part has an acid base to it and obviously did not agree with me. Started taking a z-pac today to kick the sinus infection and crossing my fingers that I dont react to this. I have never been this violently sick in my life and I will NEVER take this drug again!

Comment from: Holes in My Head, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 20

I am a lifelong sinusitis patient with four sinus surgeries, years of allergy shots, and a managed health care program minding the anti-biotics my doctor gives me. I have had three "experiences" with Augmentin. The first time I went back to my ENT surgeon feeling terrible when the first antibiotic didn't work. He gave me Augmentin. I didn't realize the symptoms I had were from the drug. After two days I had severe body aches, flu like symptoms, and elevated fever. I felt so terrible I had to take a taxi ride to the emergency room. The second experience was similar to the first. Again the drug side effects were masked by the sinus symptoms I already had. I was travelling and a "doc-in-the-box" gave me Augmentin. Two days later I sincerely thought I was going to die. Again I went to the emergency room with terrible overall body pain, fever, migrane headache. I couldn't walk the pain was so bad. The third experience was by accident. Again while travelling a local physician gave me a "sample." After the first day the same symptoms started. I stopped taking the Augementin and immediately felt better. I wanted to share my experience because out of all the drugs I've taken for my condition I never thought one could react so terribly and violently. I know that Augmentin is a wonderful drug for lots of people. My wife and children tolerate it very well and have had good results.

Related Reading: augmentin | flu | fever

Comment from: dissatisfied customer, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 16

Took one dose and had instant nausea and violent vomiting, hot flashes with itching everywhere, thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest, every heartbeat pounded in my ears, then diarrhea. My reaction lasted all night going from one stage to another. NEVER take or give to anyone you love!

Related Reading: hot flashes | diarrhea

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 16

i was given this antibiotic (875mg) for a sinus infection and my daughter (22 months old) the 600mg suspension for an ear infection. i was reluctant to take it (or give it to my daughter) because of the negative reviews but i have to say that neither of us have had any adverse side effects. not even diarrhea a common symptom of antibiotics. no upset stomach either. it's been one of the easiest antibiotics i/we have taken. and i'm someone that is normally sensitive to medication in general.

Related Reading: sinus infection | ear infection

Comment from: shell, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 17

The only SE I am experiencing is total exhaustion/tiredness (way more than usual)...anyone else experience ONLY this SE??

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 07

I am on my 9th day with augmenten and I feel like the side effects if this drug are worse than the symptoms of sinus infection. I am having anxiety, hot flashes, nauseas , trouble sleeping. I will not be taking this again.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: Paulakay49, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 01

Got meds, 875mg, twice/day. By Wed/Thurs early morn (2am) was in emergency room with elevated BP (281/147). My normal BP is 97/57. The pressure was unbelievable! No heart attack-like symptoms. After a few hours of observation went home & was fine from then on. Dr. said it was a reaction from medication.

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: blueknight4444, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 04

Upset stomach diarrea and nausea. Pharmacist advised me took take yogart for the side effects. Due this drug causing severe diarrea and nausea It kills the bactreia In the stomach that Is the way It Is disigned. The yogart help repacing with live cultures and helping with the nausea and diarrea. I also don't like the medication Is dosed. A better antibotic when It comes to dosing Is levaquin and does not have the severe side effects as the above antibotic.

Related Reading: levaquin

Comment from: downtown, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 28

I had a serious sinus infection. It was so bad I was gaging and unable to breathe. This worked great, but now I have to wear a diaper. I don't think this side effect is worth it though. The diarrhea was so bad that I couldn't make it out of my bathroom for the 2nd and 3rd day. It was terrible losing control like that, make sure you have some depends on hand if you have any kind of a life (like a job).

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: February 17

I suffer from chronic sinus infections. I am currently fighting a severe sinus and lung infection. In the past I always had severe diarrhea with this medication. I now take it with a probiotic called Florastor. It is expensive but worth it. I find this drug works well but the diarrhea and stomach pain are a problem IF it's not taken with a high quality probiotic.

Comment from: C Diff Sufferer, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 02

STAY AWAY FROM AUGMENTIN!!! I spent 4 nights in the hospital for C Diff bloom caused by Augmentin. It upsets the balance of bacteria in your colon. I already have ulcerative colitis so not effective treatment for that either.

Related Reading: augmentin | colitis

QUESTION

Bowel regularity means a bowel movement every day. See Answer
Comment from: Jlee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

Sometimes best taken without food, directions say take with food "IF" it upsets your stomach. I have no problems when taking dose 1-2 hours after a meal/snack. A glass of milk prior will also help coat the stomach. I avg Sinusitis twice a yr and this med has always knocked it out of me with few side effects. Mainly only a dry mouth, drink plenty of water throughout the day. Noticable improvement after 4 days which can make finishing difficult but highly recommend completing full treatment.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: AUGSUCKS, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 22

I was prescribed 875mg 2x a day for a sinus infection. NEVER AGAIN. The drug is over 50 years old, and there are much better options out there. Who the heck would want to take 2 ENORMOUS and toxic pills twice a day for 2 weeks? WTF is this 1955? Does not help that my doctor is an idiot, and just randomly prescribes drugs without doing tests. Cleared the sinus infection yet caused me to get thrush, an extremely painful infection in the mouth.

Related Reading: sinus infection | thrush

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 02

10 month old child. could not tolerate medication. Each time medicine was given, she lost all food that she had eaten. Stopped after 3rd dose and contacted pediatrician.

Comment from: Happy lady, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 14

Within 24 hours (2 pills) I started feeling better from a horrible sinus infection that had sent infection into my lungs and gave me a nasty cough.

Related Reading: cough

Comment from: 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 27

Augmentin for me? NEVER AGAIN. Took one pill at 10:30 pm and by 12:30 am I was up vomiting. That went on every hour for the rest of the night. I have taken straight Amoxicillin in the past with no adverse effects, so it must have been the Clavulanic Acid in Augmentin.

Related Reading: augmentin | amoxicillin

Comment from: desert 3, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 26

It cured my infection, but I had severe, unbearable pain in both shoulders, collarbone, upper arms for two months. The doctor finally sent me to a Pain Clinic and a steroid shot in each shoulder relieved the pain. May have been an allergic reaction - inflammation of the blood vessels and muscle pain.

Comment from: Tim-A, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 20

I'm prone to Sinus Itus and have used it twice in the past 3 years. 2 a day for 10 days. The only very prominent side effect I get is tiredness and extremely vivid dreams. I normally don't remember anything when I wake up and on this drug the thoughts linger for days. It's really bizarre but kinda fun. My urine also turns electric yellow. By day three I always feel way better and by day 7 I feel normal and healthy again.