Avandamet

Comment from: Gra45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 01

First bout with diverticulitis. Was given both this drug and Cipro 2x/day for 14 days. By day 2 my abdominal pain from the DV was gone. Helps that we caught it early. This drug is brutal on the gut. I've been avoiding simple sugars, but the only way my stomach can handle the harshness of the med is to have some white bread or crackers with it. Terrible acid reflux, so Gaviscon at bed time is what I take. My mouth tastes like metal 24/7. My tongue is coated. I am guessing my breath isn't pleasant. Urine gets really dark unless I remember to drink lots of water, which increases the acid reflux. Sigh. On day 11 I started having body aches head to toe. Sore spot in my throat. I won't stop until this is done, but I sure hope I never have to do this again! Oh, and going through all the holidays with no "adult beverages" is a bummer!

Related Reading: diverticulitis | cipro | abdominal pain

Comment from: Lin lin25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 27

This was prescribed with amoxicillin, clarithromycin, and omeprazole for H. Pylori. Everything is relatively easy to take, but the metronidazole tastes pretty nasty. The first time I took it (with two other antibiotics), I threw up all the pills from my dose. The dissolving pill in my mouth was unbearable. Thank God for my sister who suggested taking it with honey. I took a spoon, placed the enormous tablet, poured honey relentlessly over it, and swallowed as quickly as you can imagine. It was magic. No metallic taste. Side effects, I can deal with. Putting the damn thing on your body without tasting it is divine power.

Related Reading: amoxicillin | clarithromycin | omeprazole

Comment from: Bolton NHS65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 21

Following a large filling being undertaken on a bottom tooth,it was was found many weeks later that I had an infection under the tooth which over a few days had caused a swelling in my lower jaw, following a visit to my dentist and a consultation that followed I was informed that the infection would have to be treated prior to unfortunately having to have my tooth removed. I was prescribed 200mg of metronidazole three times daily for five days, After one day I had noticed a big difference in that it had begun to act on the infection and consequently had also reduced the swelling.After a further two days the swelling had totally disappeared,needless to say this was really good as I remember many years back being prescribed an anti-biotic drug for an infection which didnt have much effect.In conclusion I must say that this worked extremely well for me with no (and I mean no) after effects whatsoever.

Related Reading: metronidazole

Comment from: Jus35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 15

Some unpleasant side-effects. My tongue and throat have become very raw/dry and irritated. Metallic taste in mouth. Very hungry all the time. Loose, dark stool. Some fatigue that may or may not be associated with the drug. Otherwise effective in taking care of my h pylori infection.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: Sick Puppy65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 02

Reading these reviews helps some. Misery loves comopany. On 14 day course with 2 gms amoxicillin for h pylori. Generalized malaise,annoying headache, nausea, feeling cold,hungover feeling. No appetite for food or sex Got a week to go. Feel like crying everytime i have to take a dose. Be so glad when its over. I want to feel normal again. I I know it will kill the infection. Repeat endoscopy will probably show my stomach squeaky clean.

Related Reading: amoxicillin | headache

Comment from: I HATE THIS DRUG!55-64 Published: November 08

Hate this, it was horrible. Vomiting, extreme headache, anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, neck pain. I feel this has affected my brain, it jas been two years since it and I still have side effects. This drug is not worth it, it can cause brain lesions, symptoms like MS, some people take years to recover as it depletes you of thaimin which can cause BeriBeri symptoms

Related Reading: headache | anxiety | depression

Comment from: AppendixRemoved2219-24on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 04

I was given Metronidazole oral pills for the first time after I had my appendix removed. About 2 days of being on this drug (taken 3 times a day with food) I formed a large ulcer in my inner lip. Following that I was plagued with terrible tastes in my mouth that I was unable to get rid of (use of consumables to remove taste). Then I noticed that foods that I normally eat taste very different, and border line unpalatable. This included vanilla ice cream, sweet sausage, cheese products, and flavored drinks. On top of this I felt nauseas almost all the time, had a reduced appetite (1 meal a day), and my mouth felt like it was covered in gunk that I had to constantly scrap off and it was constantly feeling/being dry. Did not know all this was a possible side effect of this drug until after I called my surgeon with my complaints.

Related Reading: metronidazole

Comment from: wizodd55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 04

What they fail to tell you with this broad-spectrum antibiotic is how to keep your gut flora functional whilest slaughtering all bacteria in your gut. I do this by eating yogurt and about three hours after my last dose, I eat more yogurt & some meat along with a large dose (50,000 billion) of probiotic bacteria. This regime let me go through without any issues, as a limited diet and probiotics combined to keep things working. When I first was given this in the 1980's I took it without dealing with the gut bacteria repopulation and it was a horrid experience, because, without a bacterial population, your gut doesn't work. This treatment also cured my gingivitis.

Comment from: William Blue65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 06

First bout with enough lower left diverticulitis pain to go to doctor. This med prescribed for me along with Sulfamethoxazole (avoiding Cipro is associated with my Achilles rupture). Significantly reduced pain in 3 days.

Related Reading: diverticulitis | cipro

Comment from: Djyll65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 02

Swollen ankles, much more than usual, dark urine, otherwise perfectly fine. Used with Ibuprofen. This is day 4 and no pain, swelling in and around jaw all gone. I'm normally allergic to drugs, informed them I was severely allergic to Penicillin and related drugs. They prescribed this and it has been great. Very pleased, I won't normally touch drugs, but this hurt!

Related Reading: ibuprofen

Comment from: Ally25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 15

This medication is the fallen angel of pills. This crap has had me vomiting for two weeks straight. I couldnâ??t eat or sleep or drink anything. The taste is horrendous and the side effects were almost unbearable. I pray that my h pylori is gone or I will possible drive into the Gulf of Mexico. I could not ever take this again. My throat became sore, along with severe stomach cramps and constant nausea. No one warned me how bad it was going to be. I could barely work on this.

Comment from: libra245855-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 03

10 days on this to hopefully stop reoccurring mouth sores after having a tooth cleaning too soon after Strep Throat. Horrible side effect. Light headed, dizzy, metal taste in mouth. Finally finished the medicine and got severe muscle pain in upper legs. Never will take this again, and will never recommend this to friends.

Related Reading: strep throat

Comment from: pardee45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 30

I was diagnosed (via blood test) with HPylori after reporting diarhea to my doctor. Diarhea continued, but difficult to say if the diarhea is now just a side effect of the meds. This is the worst tasting pill I have taken in my 51 years of life. I could barely do it and would gag and heave. Discovered that Cran-Grape Juice would kill the taste long enough to swallow as fast as possible. Also, very important to wipe the dust powder off before attempting to ingest. The worst part of this medicine is the horrible taste not only of the pill itself, but the taste in general. It's like wiping your entire mouth with bug spray and tinfoil. I know that is harsh, but this is seriously important to know. Keep a strong juice near you at all times. I just read that sugarless chewing gum is helpful, but must be careful that the gum contains NO ALCOHOL. I leave for vacation in one week and was looking forward to cocktails in paradise, but won't get to have that. My pharmacist warned that even a tiny bit (one glass of wine) causes extreme stomach upset, cramps and projectile vomiting. You must stop for 3 days before resuming alcohol consumption. Nothing positive about this medicine except that hopefully it will eliminate the HPylori that causes extreme hunger sensation. Have been on meds for 8 days and see doctor again tomorrow. I have developed a sore throat too. Praying it does not require a second round of treatment.

Related Reading: sore throat

QUESTION

______________ is another term for type 2 diabetes. See Answer
Comment from: Anonymous35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 13

Prescribed this (500mg) for 10 days 3x's a day and another antibiotic.. after the 3 full day of taking it I ended up back in the ER due to non-stop vomiting asked for something different and they told me no and to continue taking it started taking it again the next day then made an appointment with my physician and she told me the same.. back to the first full day of taking it again and time for repeat vomiting so nope I'm done with this antibiotic.. I'll keep taking the other but not this one.. if it comes back after finishing the other I'll be sure to go to a different hospital and have the prescribe me something totally different

Comment from: Penelope19-24on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 17

Iâ??m on day 5 of the antibiotic and I can say that itâ??s doing itâ??s job! No mess, discharge clearing up. I havenâ??t had any of the side effects thatâ??s anyone is talking about except the headaches. But I will also say that I did drink a little alcohol without abusing it, so that may be the reason for it. (Which is the only reason for the 4 star rate) I ate half my meal take took the pill then finish my food. Drink lots of water throughout the day! Also I did make sure I took it every 10-12 hours apart just to make sure i wasnâ??t overwhelming my stomach

Comment from: Danileigh25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 17

Prescription worked for BV in just 3 days, had a 7day prescription and finished it but day 4 I began itching around my face neck chest and arms. Itching wasn’t mentioned but it’s definitely a side effect I’m experiencing using Metronizadole.

Comment from: Radolove 45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 18

I can’t stand the side effects , put on flagyl and cipro and I get all sorts of pains in my intestines from spasm pains to burning pains makes me worry and no one seems to have an answer

Related Reading: flagyl | cipro

Comment from: Tre55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 14

This worked for me. No more symptoms at all. I read all comments prior to taking medications and the person who left a tampon in for a few days....gross!

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 30

Second bout of diverticulitis; have taken Flagyl and Cipro each time. Pain subsides within two days. I completely avoid alcohol! Yes, it tastes awful, but otherwise, no side effects except some loose more frequent bowel movements, some gassiness and rash on my legs. I can live with all three if it eliminates the pain of the diverticulitis. Take probiotics to restore gut bacteria.

Related Reading: diverticulitis | flagyl | cipro

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 15

Prescribed twice for treatment of infection during and post root-canal sessions (5 so far over 18 months)! Side effects, even after taking all the dosages as prescribed: headaches, dizziness, fuzzy-mind, metallic-taste, tiredness, nausea, loss of appetite, diarrhea, dark urine, and, worst of all...completely ineffectual in stopping the pain running along my jaw and around the treated tooth.

Related Reading: dizziness | diarrhea

Comment from: mrskia45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 28

I was given this medication for colitis. This medication gave me a headache, runny/burning nose, a very painful stiff neck and has also made me drowzy.

Related Reading: colitis | headache

Comment from: Zia65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 15

Side-effects: constant: nausea, metallic taste in mouth, dizziness; occasional chills; daily diarrhea. Original Rx, along with Cipro, was for 14 days, because of the side-effects I was told I could stop after 7 days.

Related Reading: dizziness | diarrhea | cipro

Comment from: LisaI45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 04

My only complaint is a deep pounding in my heard and racing pulse. I am nervous to finish the last 2 days of my prescription. Dr. never told me there was a black box warning on it. I maybe can cause cancer when in longer/higher doses. I may call today and ask for a different prescription to finish out my course. I had an infection vaginally after a prolapse surgery.

Related Reading: cancer

Comment from: Help25-34on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 21

Hi, I was prescribe drugs Metronidazole for a week 500 my. Only was able to take the medication for 6 days due to extreme side effects. Been off of the medication for a week exactly still having side effects. Also have extreme anxiety head pressure dizziness and panic attacks. Wanted to know if anyone else experienced this also how long they took to go away.

Related Reading: metronidazole | anxiety | dizziness

Comment from: justsuec55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 29

The only side effects I had were mildly dry mouth and some fatigue. After 5 days I noticed I had much less pain around the tooth affected. I took 325 mg 3X daily for 7 days, along with amoxicillin 500 mg 4X daily for 10 days. I also took probiotics, tablets, the entire time I was on these meds.

Related Reading: dry mouth | fatigue | amoxicillin