Avandia

Comment from: Victim of Avandia, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 13

I have taken this medication for the last 10 years. When I heard on the news about how this pill could cause heart attack, I stopped taking it immediately. Little did I know that this pill was the cause of my weight gain (more than 100 pounds in 10 years). I could never pin point what was the cuase of my weight gain. When I stopped, I started loosing weight right away. I have lost 40 pounds in 6 months. Not only did it caused weight gain, I was retaining fluid in my legs, face, arms. I was to the point of hardly walking. I was fatigued with any minimal move, short of breath. Now, I'm a new person. I feel great, can walk very fast now. No shortness of breath. I can go up the stairs with no problem at all. I feel that this pill took 10 years out of my life. I'm 61 years old and now I feel so good that I can't stress enough how horrible this pill can be.

Related Reading: heart attack | stress

Comment from: Sassy1, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 09

This drug nearly killed me! It cause edema everywhere, especially in heart/chest cavity. I felt so bad I was sure I was dying (found out later I was a small step from a heart attack). I happened to tell my Mom one day how bad I felt and that I was taking Avandia. She flipped and told me to stop taking ASAP, then told me of the side effects being advetised on TV. She was right as it turned out. It took 4 months for all the side effects to completely disappear. Then I felt great until metformin & glipizide weren't enough, so started Byetta. What a wonderful drug! Lost over 45 pounds in less than 7 months w/o even trying, blood sugars are normal & HbA1c is down to 6.1 from 8. Endocrinologist expects diabetes to disappear with enough weight loss. Avandia can be a killer, so beware!

Related Reading: edema | avandia | metformin

Comment from: [email protected], 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 17

i have been taking avandia for almost 4 years and i went to a heart dr a year ago for a routine check up and i was fine he said there was nothing wrong. Now this year when i went for my yearly diabetic heart check up i was diagnosed with palpitations, sinus tachycardia, and P.A.F . i was taken off of the avandia the week i was diagnosed with all of this. I dont know if it was the avandia or not but no one in my family has no heart problems at all except me now. I do think it was because i was on avandia for so long. Anybody taking it i suggest you talk to your dr about other medications instead of the avandia it has ruined my life.

Related Reading: avandia | palpitations

Comment from: Gloria, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 19

I am an insulin dependent diabetic they call me brittle. I started using Avandia two years ago and it was so good I didn't have to use insulin any more the pill did it all. Then after two years it stopped working cold turkey. I am now back to insulin only. No other oral medication works. I would like to know why Avandia all of a sudden stopped working. No one has an answer.?

Comment from: nancyszy, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 12

On Avandia til reports came out-took myself off & dropped 10lbs & felt better but A1C went up to 7.6. Dr made me go back on in May & I've gained 10 lbs. & feel tired & ache a lot. Waiting to see Dr in Sept-I want off of this!

Comment from: saturn60, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 19

I was on avandia for nine years and gained over 150 pounds! I felt tired all the time, had swelling of my legs and developed anemia. I finally insisted that my Dr. change my medication. I am now on byetta and have never felt better almost an immediate change. Don't underestimate the dangers of this drug!

Related Reading: anemia | byetta

Comment from: jerryokie, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 25

Using Avandia caused me to end up in ER twice and admitted to a hospital once. My heart developed atrial fibrulation. It should be banned in the U.S.

Comment from: towdog, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 02

developed heart problems have had stents installed,pacemaker, heart attacks, stuff has shortened my life span don't ever take this drug

Comment from: ozz, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 15

after taking avandia for approx. 5 months, I developed cirrossis of the liver and am now awaiting for a liver transplant. while taking avandia I gained 50 to 60 pounds and developed excess body fluid all over my body. I have joined a lawsuit against glaxo smith kline.

Related Reading: avandia | liver

Comment from: Deise, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 15

I took this medication for 10 months by which time I had gained about 15 kgs, was out of breath and had swollen legs and hands. I could only walk a few steps before being out of breath. It brought the blood sugar down but the side effects were intolerable. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 06

I have been satisfied with the controlling of my diabetic condition since taking Avandia. I have however gained weight as well and am wondering if it is because of the medicine. Others have told me that they experienced weight gain as well and went off Avandia and began other medication because of the considerable gain.

Related Reading: avandia

Comment from: Wade, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 19

I have been taking for ~8 years. I did have some weight gain because, like most, I thought since I was taking this I could eat like I always did. That was a mistake in 4 years I put on 30 pounds. I read/heard all the issues with Avandia and took note. I have had my heart checked for problems and none so far. I went on a low carb diet and lost the 30 pounds I had gained. I fell into the trap of "just take a pill" and go on about your business as usual. You can not do that. I read on this site where people gain 100+ pounds and then have a heart attack.. well DUH...

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: 65-74 (Patient) Published: January 18

Avandia (Actos did the same thing) irregular heartbeat so bad I had to be taken to the ER twice within 2 months of taking them. Why are the drugs not tested & made less harmful to take than the condition we take them for? I take Glipizide & Metformin as well & the Avandia didn't bring my blood sugar down much but caused several mild errythemias that stopped on their own but 2 caused admission to hospital after ER. Same with Actos. Pretty bad when the medicine makes you sicker than you were before taking it! I thought medicine was supposed to be helpful. Most are harmful.

Related Reading: actos | glipizide | metformin

Comment from: David, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 16

Superb! It is the ONLY thing that works for me. I have tried Actos and went to the max dose and nothing! Then the scare and I went to Januvia, first 50mg and then 100 and nothing good. Then without saying a thing to the Doctor or Wife, I stopped the Actos and the Januvia and went back to my old reliable Avandia 8mg and within 2-3 days was down to where I wanted to be at - below 120 avg. Without Avandia I will raise to around 240 to 300mg/dl. I take Avandia and Insulin.

Related Reading: januvia

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 03

since beginning this medication I have gained 40 pounds, my doctor tells me to exersize more. I believe my weight gain is from the avandia.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 12

I took this drug for 9 months. It caused me to gain 25 lbs, leg swelling, and felt out of breath all the time. I took myself off it and feel better. Dr gave me Januvia now.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 24

This medication really kept my blood sugars in line where they were supposed to be. I did however experience weight gain.

Type 2 Diabetes: Signs, Symptoms, Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: dcnjim, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 14

I just stopped Avandia and switched,by Dr. to ACTOS. Blood sugar numbers were erratic without any reason, though overall dropped a bit. Problems with possible potassium retention causing multiple leg cramps, sometimes several times/day. Very concerned about FDA reports even though Dr. dismissed them as "rumor" and "bad research."

Related Reading: avandia | actos

Comment from: Beneficial Dude, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 16

was on this years ago, doc took me off due to dangers of drug. new doc put me on it. have gained 10 lbs in a month, extreme fatigue, achy joints, swelling everywhere. has not brought levels down and I feel overall crappy! warnings on TV have made me decide to stop this drug. I have high BP and Tachycardia. don't think this is a good med for me with those conditions. I will look for an alternate med. Actos made me very tired as well, will talk with my MD on an alternate med.

Related Reading: fatigue | actos

Comment from: tigerrreyzz, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 10

This has been the only medication in combination with metformin that has successfully kept my blood sugars low. I was taken off the medication and given others to try that have not worked and the side effects for me are worse (tiredness, weight gain) Avandia was the one that worked very well for me. I'm hoping I will be able to go back to it. I felt much better while on it.

Related Reading: metformin

Comment from: angelbear, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 16

I gained over 60 lbs., had swelling in my hands, arms but mostly in my legs and feet. I couldn't even get any of my shoes on! Dr. took me off of Avandia, put me on Lantus, am doing much better!

Related Reading: lantus

Comment from: Ebonybull, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 18

Experiences edema in lower extremities and profuse sweating during normal activities. Discontined use due to risks.

Related Reading: edema

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 26

I have constantly gained weight and the effectiveness has decreased. I am of Avandia now and I am using Byetta which works much better and I am losing weight

Related Reading: byetta

Comment from: Vera, 75 or over on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 03

I need a generic brand for Avandiamet

Comment from: CAROL1, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 19

THIS DRUG HAS CAUSE ME TO HAVE HEART PROBLEM THAT I DID NOT HAVE BEFORE I STARTED TAKING THIS DRUG