Avastin

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 07

I wasn't expecting wet AMD at 55 years old and have had 2 shots since January'08.The first shot triggered high anxiety because of ignorance. A detailed video on instruments and procedure would be appreciated by newbies(Internet info sorely lacking);possibly, on-site sedation option. Also, my cornea was scratched the first time which gave me piercing sensitivity(pain)to light and blinking until the next day in spite of eye drops. The 2nd shot on Mar.31: after effects similar to red eye allergy feel of itchiness and dryness for 2 days;felt relief w/eyedrops.Increased sleep for 3 days due to eye strain. Results after first Avastin shot show 5 line increase in eye chart, decreased 'grid' warping, and central 'grey blotch' lightening.I am very happy w/the results and look forward to new fotos of the macula in May.

Related Reading: anxiety | allergy | eye strain

Published: March 26

They say older people get Age related macular degeneration, so naturally being 25 years old, and hearing I have it, scared me. When my eye dr. said you need to see a specialist, I will be honest, I was thinking take these drops see you in a week for a check up. Instead I had to choose that day if i wanted a needle stuck in my eye or laser treatment, I started to cry, the whole thought of someone sticking a needle in my eye freaked me out more then anything. But, as of today, I have had two shots and even my doc said that I can read one line better on the effected eye. Personally, I can tell the blurry spot is decreasing in size, and i have noticed my headaches decreasing as well. I can only hope between now and my third scheduled shot that it goes totally away! I can hope right.

Related Reading: macular degeneration

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 09

I have a retina disorder similar to ARWMD. I've had more than 20 injections of Avastin over the last 3 years. The thought of the injection is much more frightening than the injection itsself. For my condition, there are really no other good options. Thanks to the Avastin, I have retained some of my central vision for at least 2 years longer than expected, so it is absolutely worth it. I'm really grateful that this drug became available. I always have some tenderness and irritation in the eye for a few days, but have experienced no major problems.

Related Reading: avastin

Comment from: supadave3, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 03

I'm 37 and developed a major greyed out spot in my eye. I didn't go to the doctor for about 4 months hoping that it would go away. Well, it didn't and in fact got worse. As another review stated, the apprehension of getting the shot is worse than the actual shot. The injection was quick and uncomfortable, but not painful. I didn't notice any improvement for the first 3 weeks after receiving the injection, than noticed a gradual improvement. I received my 2nd injection 4 weeks after the first and my vision has continued to improve. Its improved so much so that the doctor already changed my injection schedule from once every 30 days to once every 60 days for the 3rd. My vision is not 100% back to normal, but its improved enough to where it is not affecting my quality of life anymore. I'm eager to know how quickly it would start to degrade after I stopped taking the injections, but I do not have that answer yet. OVerall, I'm very satisfied with the results.

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 31

I have been receiving injections of Avastin for about 3 years. The first 3-4 treatments were by far the most effective. It seems to be maintaining a status quo situation ever since. However, I recently started seeing a new doctor due to insurance issues and was shocked to find out that there are many reasons not to have Avastin shots if you can avoid it. I have been doing some research since learning that, and indeed I have had many of the bad reactions that are discussed with regard to this drug. I never put it all together until now. Stomach issues, skin issues, bad eye issues including a very bad infection for which I didn't receive much help, overall feeling of illness.I took a 4 month break recently, and felt really good all that time. Just had another shot this week and am once again having stomach issues and not feeling well. Is there a connection?

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 08

I have just had my first injection and week ago. I still have some redness. As others say it is really scary, not knowing what to expect. I do wish the caregivers would explain the procedure better. Not much pain. I think I can see better, or could be wishful thinking. Will know more after the next two shots...

Comment from: moonstep, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 14

I've had my first Avista treatment only 3 days ago therefor my rating may not be fair and I'll review it at a later time. The treatment was terrifying, it involved many drops of different numbing and antibiotic meds but, the worse part was the injection of Avista into my eye. Actually it did Not hurt at all just as the Dr. promised, it was the knowing of what was going to happen, an injection into my eye. The aftermath was some redness and tenderness and a little pain when blinking and a little swelling but I am fine. So far I can't tell any difference in my condition.

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 11

I started this med for metstatic breast cancer which has traveled to my bones (spine, hip, lower back & right shoulder). I have been taking this for approx. 5 months. After 3 months my tumor markers went from 257 to 98 & 6.4 to 3.8. Side effects are terrible, bloody nose, bleeding gums, weight loss, taste in mouth, tiredness fungus of nails,sores in mouth etc. But if it helps me I'm willing to continue the chemo, avastin & bone IVS.

Related Reading: breast cancer | avastin

Comment from: Phyllisoct, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 18

Only had one treatment; I can see more out of the affected eye than before the treatment. Am wondering about others' experiences with this condition and treatment.

Comment from: Amazed, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 08

I am currently on Avastin for recurrent Ovarian Cancer. I took it once before and it worked well and Ca-125 went down and tumors shrunk. The doctor took me off and my tumors returned after 3 months. My doctor, (a new one) put me back on Taxol/Carbo and it did nothing, a waste of my time. I am now back on Avastin and my Ca count went down 58 points after on treatment. This is an excellent drug if you are fortunate enough to not experience the clots. My side effects include easy bruising and neck and shoulder stiffness. Also if you have had a previous joint issue, that joint will stiffen.

Related Reading: avastin | ovarian cancer | taxol

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 16

I spent 8 months on this and other drugs in a clinical trial. It worked very well at reducing the tumor sizes. I will be starting on it again for a maintainence dose.

Comment from: George, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 03

I am 73 yrs. old and have (AMD) "WET". I have had three shots in my left eye and although the AVASTIN shots stopped the bleeding, my vision has improved only marginally. I am well pleased with the shot procedure(no pain at all) and glad that the bleeding has almost stopped.

Related Reading: avastin

Comment from: Mike , 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 18

I receive Avastin IV every 2 weeks via port. Recurring MRI scan get better and better. To God be the Glory.

Comment from: eyes for life, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 06

The avastin shot has work a lot better for me than the lucentis shots. They lasted for 6 to 8 months where the lucentis only lasted 1 month.

Related Reading: lucentis

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 20

Have experienced some side effects after each treatment. Causes joint irritation and some swelling for several days.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 10

I am having my third treatment this week. I have not had any appreciable side effects that I am aware of. I have been on chemo for over a year and my oncologist has just added this medication.

Comment from: MARIE TASSINARI, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 09

I HAVE HAD AN EXCELLENT EXPERIANCE WITH AVASTIN

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 06

have just begun treatment, curious about others reaction to treatment

Comment from: without, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 13

My wife's doctor really wanted her to have the Avastin treatment for ovarian cancer even though it is not approved yet. She had recurring ovarian cancer in the lymph nodes and was hoping to get more time between reoccurrences. She had one treatment of Avastin and died within 2 1/2 weeks from bleeding out on 8/2/2010. The Avastin may not have been the cause but please strongly consider the risk before allowing your doctor to use this for ovarian cancer.

Related Reading: avastin | ovarian cancer | cancer

Comment from: loucaf, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 06

Continued neuropathy in hands and feet after full regiment treatment. I am on Avastin only for the last 5 months joint pain and shoulder is severe. Taking arthritis medication due to Avastin caused high blood pressure. Stopped meds for athritis seek rheumatologist to find one med that doesn't cause high blood pressure. Helps tolerate shoulder and joint pain from severe to moderate which is more tolerable. The normal arthritic meds took joint pain completely away but not worth the risk of high blood pressure issues aka stroke. Trying to keep meds to a minumum is important while taking Avastin because the colon cancer spread to my liver and lungs and I know I have to watch med intake because of liver damage due to prior chemo treatments.

Related Reading: arthritis | high blood pressure | stroke

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 04

Ihave had 2 injections so far and when I close my good eye, my left eye is still blurred. I am not sure whether I want another treatment or not. When they did a ultra scan on my left eye I could see red that nearly covered my eye. My second treatment turned out to be very painful due to something they caLL DRY EYE. i HAD TO GO TO Morgantown, wv to see what wS WRONG. cAN ANYONE TELL me their experinces. Also I read where some maN HAD A STROKE AND HAVING THE EJECTION WHICH i DID NOT KNOW ABOUT.

Related Reading: stroke

Comment from: betsy, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 29

my father received this treatment and one week later lost than feeling in the outside edges of his hands and feet, three weeks later he became disoriented and lost his ability to balance and walk. He has been confined to a wheelchair ever since. The doctors haven't had enough experience with this drug to know what happened, but he was once a functioning, working man with cancer, now he is unable to work or walk.

Comment from: bobbabb, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 24

This medicine caused a fatal pulmonary hemorrage.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 19

My husband did not have the IV form but had it injected right into this eye for Macular Degeneration and one week to the day from having it done suffered a Lacunar Stroke and has right sided weakness. He was never told by the opthalmologist that the drug Avastin has not been approved by the FDA and if he had been he would NOT have agreed to the treatment. Judith R. Finzer (spouse)

Related Reading: macular degeneration | stroke

Comment from: carol, 75 or over on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: June 08

DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION IF YOU HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE! My mother received two doses 7 months apart and had spikes in blood pressure both times. It has taken 3 days in the hospital to try to get her blood pressure back to within somewhat normal range. The second time her BP reached 250/125 and they thought she was having a stroke.

Related Reading: high blood pressure